PDA

View Full Version : On-Site hotels are booked in late October!

Gaia
08-12-2011, 12:01 AM
We're going to Universal for the first time in late October and were planning to stay on-site for the line jumping privileges. But we were dismayed to learn that all the on-site hotels are full. I thought late October wouldn't be too busy, so I am freaking out.

It's too late now, but did I pick the wrong time of year?? I even pulled the kids out of school so the crowds would be lighter, so if I end up waiting in lots of long lines, I'm going to cry. Is this the effect of Halloween Horror Nights? I didn't even know about them until I started trying to figure this out.

Anyway, my real question is should I buy the Express Plus passes or is there a chance the crowds will be okay? They're still selling for the $20/$26 prices which I think is the minimum.

Strmchsr
08-12-2011, 07:50 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

Sorry you're freaking out. Unfortunately, Halloween Horror Nights is about Universal's most popular time of the year, so, yes, it's going to be pretty crowded. October crowds have increased significantly at WDW, too, with so many schools now having fall breaks. Harry Potter is also a hugely popular draw still, especially around Halloween. So, expect crowds and just make the best of it. I hope you're able to have a good time!

Jillirose
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
I'd keep calling for a cancellation - there is bound to be one. Also, try booking online or call directly (whichever you didn't try), sometimes blocks of rooms are 'reserved' for each. I've also changed my dates like coming in on Thursday... and found available rooms when the weekend was previously showing 'booked'. Sometimes persistence pays. :thumbsup:

MizMissy
08-13-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm so frustrated also! All that is available for my dates are club level rooms (and not the Hard Rock). Grrr!
The kids have a fall break in late October and we have experienced a couple of great family vacations at that time - DC and NYC. I was trying to decide where to go this year, but DH cannot join us, so I decided the kids and I could have a great short trip to Orlando without him .... I would feel safe traveling alone with my kids and we've been here before so it's isn't like daddy is missing out on a new experience. However, HHNs are every night of the trip (or close to it) so that means shorter park hours and the rooms are booked!
Now, I did receive a pin code for Disney during the time of our trip, however, I don't think my kids have a desire to go to Disney again after Universal!:confused: We might not have a fall break trip this year. :unhappy:

NJGIRL
08-13-2011, 09:57 AM
I think everyone has to look at the fact that Universal only has 3 on site hotels, so they will get booked up especially around popular times like Halloween. You really must book more than three months in advance.

They do have partner hotels that you can look into.

NJGIRL
08-13-2011, 10:07 AM
HHNs are every night of the trip (or close to it) so that means shorter park hours and the rooms are booked!

HHHN's really don't effect the hours much. Just like Disney's hours during the fall, they are shorter than the summer anyway. You may be losing an hour or two at the most.

MizMissy
08-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I know this is my fault. With my crazy schedule and my husband's even crazier schedule, planning too much in advance is not possible. And, the school only recently updated its calendar. It's probably a little too soon to return to Universal since we were only there in May, but we had such a great trip I knew the kids would be happy to go again.
However, checking Disney availability, the pin code gives me a great rate ... Hmmm, I guess I'm more upset that I don't think my kids will jump at the chance to return to Disney (and DH says he's "Disney'd out"). Sigh.

NJGIRL
08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
I know this is my fault. With my crazy schedule and my husband's even crazier schedule, planning too much in advance is not possible. And, the school only recently updated its calendar. It's probably a little too soon to return to Universal since we were only there in May, but we had such a great trip I knew the kids would be happy to go again.
However, checking Disney availability, the pin code gives me a great rate ... Hmmm, I guess I'm more upset that I don't think my kids will jump at the chance to return to Disney (and DH says he's "Disney'd out"). Sigh.

If no one is all that excited to go to Disney again I wouldn't spend the money. It's too expensive to go if everyone feels that they've "been there, done that". Take a break for a couple of years and the excitment will probably come back. Why not try something new? There are so many great things to see and do in the US.

MizMissy
08-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Why not try something new? There are so many great things to see and do in the US.

With DH not joining us, I did not want to do anything "new" without him - it would not be fair to him or the kids. And, I wanted something safe and familiar if it was only the kids and me traveling together. Oh well, I guess we'll play it by ear. If the weather is nice, we can take a short beach trip.

kcrc
08-14-2011, 10:28 AM
You mentioned wanting to stay "on-site" to have the cut the line passes. How about staying off-site and purchasing the express passes separately? Perhaps you could find a less expensive off-site hotel, so the cost would end up balancing out?