PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access

iceicebritney
08-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking for inout regarding Internet access. I know the rooms offer wired Internet for a daily fee, but recently I've been reading on here how poor every thinks the speed is. I last used wired Internet at WDW in 2005 and don't remember it being terrible, but I assume things have changed since then. Would those who have done wired Internet in the rooms say it is worth it?

As for the wifi spote listed throughout the resort, do you have to be a guest of that resort to use their wifi? I'll be staying at CBR (since CBR doesnt have wifi), I'm wondering if I can use my iPad in one of the hotel lobbies to upload some documents and check a few emails? I wasn't sure if these networks were primarily for use by the hotel guests.

McLiberal8
08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
As far as I know, there is no where to get free internet on property.
I stayed at Pop last year in September, and bought the internet in-room everyday. I had no issues with the speed, and would say it was worth it, to be able to talk to my friends at night and post pictures. Wifi is available in some of the resort lobbies (Contemporary, GF), but it is the same cost as in-room internet, so not really worth it IMHO.

iceicebritney
08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I have no problem with paying for the access to the other hotels wifi, but I was wondering if we are even allowed to use it if we are not guests of that hotel?

Glad to hear you had no issues with the dial up. However, I prefer not to need a wired connection as this would mean hauling my entire lap top down with me. If I can gain access through wifi on my iPad while at another resort, that would be ideal!

BigRedDad
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
There is no wireless access at the resorts to my knowledge. I know some people will pay the fee and bring their router. If you can tap into their network, then go for it. The way I see it, air is free. If you can tap into WIFI that is open access, they cannot restrict you.

For me, I will tether my phone. It is faster than their connected network anyway. It is faster than most networks in this country.

Disney Doll
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
We get internet access included with the DVC rooms so I've used it plenty of times, but I wouldn't pay for it. It's really pretty slow.

Our tablet (Xoom) should be able to handle photo transfers before our next trip so we'll be relying on that 4G service and leaving the laptop at home.

Jillirose
08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
There's more info on another thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=184660) too.

TheRustyScupper
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I have no problem with paying for the access to the other hotels wifi, but I was wondering if we are even allowed to use it if we are not guests of that hotel?

1) Yes.
2) Go to a convention hotel.
3) In the public areas they have fee-based-wifi.
4) You are allowed to use it.

lylone
08-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I tether my netbook to my smartphone. $20 for the whole month is cheaper than $10 a day. and yes, 4G is much faster than their DSL wired connection.

TexansInNY
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
iPad :party:

garthbarth1
08-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Ipad is the answer!

iceicebritney
08-13-2011, 03:26 PM
My iPad only has wifi and my iPhone doesn't tether because I have an unlimited Internet phone plan. I'd unfortunately have to downgrade my plan in order to tether and that would be a waste.:(

:Thanks: rusty scupper, I'll head to Coronado or another convention hotel!