PDA

View Full Version : High speed internet

mydisneygirls
08-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know what the charge is for internet access? It should be free!!!!!

DisneyMom12
08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I believe it's $10 per 24 hour period.

mydisneygirls
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I guess for a day or two that's not bad. I thought it would have been more.

Strmchsr
08-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I believe it's $10 per 24 hour period.

Yep. $9.95 for 24 contiguous hours.

I agree, though, it should be free. When you consider small 1 and 2 star hotels can figure out how to do it with no charge, you'd think Disney would but it's a "premium" service and almost all high end hotels charge for internet. Disney is no different.

mydisneygirls
08-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I agree with you....if the small hotels can do it, Disney could to. I assume it works off a wireless router.

VWL Mom
08-11-2011, 10:48 AM
It is wired. If you want wireless you need to bring your own wireless router.

Jillirose
08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
My kids got free wifi at WL lobby, but it was spotty. I didn't bring a computer one year and had to use the ones at BC for work email (there were 3!) I had to wait in line and it was $10 an hour. The line was not moving, because everyone had paid for their hour. I think they want you out spending money and not on your computer!

magicofdisney
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Marriott offers free wifi. I don't consider them low end.

mydisneygirls
08-11-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't consider Marriott low end either!!! Nice to know about wifi in lobby even if spotty! Not that I'll be on the computer all day, but reading and answering an email is better than a 15 min phone conversation!

LynneM
08-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Nobody really offers free internet access. They either charge you separately (as Disney does) or bury in the room rate as some Marriotts, etc, do.

It's a utility that it costs the hotel significant money to provide, just like water, electricity and heat. Most hotels contract with an outside company to set up and maintain the network. That company expects to be paid, and it's unrealistic to expect any hotel to eat that cost, any more that you'd expect them to eat their water bill.

Personally, I prefer the way Disney does it. I can choose to pay for it or not. If it's added to the room rate, I have to pay for it whether I use it or not.

BigRedDad
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Nothing, and I mean nothing, at WDW is free. If they can charge for it, they will. If you do not have to pay for it at that point in time, you have already paid for it in another way.

Disney Doll
08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Also, I wouldn't really call it high speed. It's probably fine for regular email, but if I try to upload vacation photos it's ridiculous.

Renfairwedding
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I could see $10.00 for the lenght of stay or even per week but $10.00 a day is not right.

So many places seem to be able to fit the cost in the the room rates. I would think with all the rooms in the WDW just adding a buck or less per night would more than cover the cost.

Disney4
08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I had the guest internet access when we stayed and the Contemporary. MY wi-fi hotspot on my 3G phone was faster - I just fired that up and tethered my laptop.

It is a nice alternative if your carrier allows it (and if you get signal!)

mydisneygirls
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree $10 a day is not right and yes, nothing is free! I think I'll be able to survive a week without internet...the girls can try on their ipods if they want. Can't wait 37 more days and counting!

TexansInNY
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Wait til they adopt Vegas' resort fee setup...

magicofdisney
08-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Nobody really offers free internet access. They either charge you separately (as Disney does) or bury in the room rate as some Marriotts, etc, do.

It's a utility that it costs the hotel significant money to provide, just like water, electricity and heat. Most hotels contract with an outside company to set up and maintain the network. That company expects to be paid, and it's unrealistic to expect any hotel to eat that cost, any more that you'd expect them to eat their water bill.

Personally, I prefer the way Disney does it. I can choose to pay for it or not. If it's added to the room rate, I have to pay for it whether I use it or not.I wish Disney would just go ahead and bury it in the room costs and offer it "free".

I've never used DME and not sure I ever will but you better believe I'm paying for all those that do use it for "free".

Checkers
08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I wish Disney would just go ahead and bury it in the room costs and offer it "free".

I've never used DME and not sure I ever will but you better believe I'm paying for all those that do use it for "free".

I agree Genna. Ten Dollars a day is very pricey though especially since it is not high-speed wireless.

texas211
08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
My problem with charging for it is this:

1. Its slow.
2. Its wired.

Now i know i'll probably get people saying "oh, i've never had a problem." I'm talking for those of those who might have to work a little bit, not just surf the web casually or check their email on gmail. Working, or video streaming, that kind of thing can be a bit challenging.