PDA

View Full Version : DVC Dining Plan Question

sydneymouse
08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
My sister was told when she booked a February trip (using DVC points) that she didn't have to purchase the dining plan for the entire length of stay. Does anyone know if this is true? I know when you book a package you have to get it for the whole stay. Just wondering if this is an option because the CM said she wasn't sure but thought that was right?

seanyred
08-10-2011, 11:14 AM
As far as I know you have to use it for the entire length of stay even on DVC points. I wished you could have the option of using fewer days.

Ian
08-10-2011, 11:26 AM
The good news is that information is correct. With the recent massive upgrade of Disney's reservation system, they're capable of a lot more flexibility than they used to have.

They also can now issue AP's right at the resort ... even with a DVC discount. I was pretty shocked by that. Even better is that the AP's you get at a resort are the solid plastic like the key cards not the paper ones you get at Guest Relations. :thumbsup:

disneymom15
08-10-2011, 11:42 AM
They also can now issue AP's right at the resort ... even with a DVC discount. I was pretty shocked by that. Even better is that the AP's you get at a resort are the solid plastic like the key cards not the paper ones you get at Guest Relations. :thumbsup:

Wow, that's great news. Thanks for the info.

VWL Mom
08-10-2011, 12:01 PM
The good news is that information is correct. With the recent massive upgrade of Disney's reservation system, they're capable of a lot more flexibility than they used to have.

Going to push my luck here, can they do AP DVC renewals? How about TIW?

Ian
08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Going to push my luck here, can they do AP DVC renewals? How about TIW?AP DVC renewals, I'm 99.9% sure is yes. No clue about TIW, though. I don't know much about that program.

wildernesslady
08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I could never understand why they would give you the paper type key and expect it to last for a year. It's great news about the dining plan.

seanyred
08-10-2011, 11:11 PM

Wait so you are saying if you want to use the dining plan for just a couple of nights you can?

Basket Mommy
08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Wait so you are saying if you want to use the dining plan for just a couple of nights you can?

I was told this was only possible if you book your stay in segments. For instance, if you only wanted to do dining plan for your first 4 days, you book a 4 day stay and then book a separate 3-day stay w/o the plan. We just did this in May of this year. I booked 5 days and then decided to add on a day. I didn't add the plan for the last day, but the reservations were linked so our credits could be used on the last day. When I checked in the CM told me that the only way I was able to do that was because I booked the last day separately. Otherwise I would've had to pay for the plan for the entire stay.

Pirate Granny
08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
You can book one ressie for entire tRip, then decide later if and what kind of dining plan you want for whatever days you want. It can be a hassle and each time you change the plan you have to check back in a the reception desk...and everyone has to be on the same plan...CM can be a bit harsh when you call MS to segment your ressie...but they can do, and you have to pay when making the dining plan with MS.

Pooh Fan
08-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I was so shocked by this I just had to call. I have a 5 night DVC stay booked for next month so I called to see if this was possible. The CM said "absolutely". You can do whatever days you want and they don't even have to be in a row however you do have to check in at the frot desk each time you change from DDP to No DDP or vice-versa as they are basically segmenting your reservation. I asked if you ever actually had to leave the room/move rooms etc. and she said no. So now the more I think about this I have more questions. I will likely call back tomorrow but you guys might already know this stuff. If I book 1 day of the Quick Service DDP on day one:
1. When will the meal and snack credits expire? Do I only have until midnight or will they last for the duration of the trip if I don't use them up that day?
2. Can I use the refillable mug for the duration of my trip or just the 1 day?

I really am excited about this because I do like eating at some off site in the area when I there but find the DDP to be fair value for days I plan to stay on site.

Pirate Granny
08-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Say you have the QS dining plan for Monday, no dining plan for Tuesday...your credits begin when you check in...expire at midnight on Tuesday...they cannot carryover past then. Your refillable mug is only good for Mon and Tuesday at your DVC resort only. You don't change rooms, but do have to check back in, and get a new KTTW on Tuesday morning.

NH Disneyfan
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Wish I knew that resorts could do DVC AP when I checked in last week. I went over to the MK guest relations and after waiting in line in the HOT sun, got my paper tickets and TIW card. I thought about asking at the resort ahead-of-time and then forgot by the time I got there after a LONG day of traveling. Surprisingly, the paper tickets have held up well after 10 days of park hopping and fast-pass grabbing.

TheDuckRocks
09-07-2011, 08:21 AM
According to DVCnews website and reported on that "other" website also, being able to book the DDP for only part of your trip has been cancelled as of Sept. 6, 2011 for DVC.

Basket Mommy
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Yep. Just read that on DVCNews.com. I understand the reasons, but it's just one more perk that has disappeared.

Pooh Fan
09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
:mad: I just called today to add the DDP to the first few days of my stay. When they told me I couldn't I came right back to this thread to update but see you guys are really on top of things and already have it posted. Talk about disappointing. If only I called last week. Anyway, guess there is not much that can be done at this point. I'm not actaully that disappointed to be honest. I go back and forth on the actual value of the DDP so I'll enjoy my trip just as much.

I"m not 100% sure but I also thought there were less restaurants listed than before in the member perks section that offer a DVC discount and I'm sure some that had 20% off lunches are now only 10%. Just hope they don't keep chipping away at the perks until nothing is left.

tundramom
09-12-2011, 09:28 PM
:mad: I just called today to add the DDP to the first few days of my stay. When they told me I couldn't I came right back to this thread to update but see you guys are really on top of things and already have it posted. Talk about disappointing. If only I called last week.
Just hope they don't keep chipping away at the perks until nothing is left.
Even if you had booked it prior to the 9/6 announcement you would still not be able to do it. According to a supervisor I spoke with today, this new rule is effective for ALL reservations, even retro active. There are going to be a lot of steamed people when they start arriving and hear the rules have changed. Erica, the supervisor, actually said to me in a cheery tone "about 50% of the guests think this is a good idea". To which I replied"that's only because the guests it effects aren't aware of it yet". No more splits stays to change DDP in middle of stay either! Re: perks comment: each year they take away something else while keeping all of our money, we are seriously thinking of selling out.:mad: