PDA

View Full Version : Disney in Feb.

ransam
08-09-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm just now booking a trip in Feb. just a couple questions for anyone that's been there.

1. how cold is it usually? is it possible to swim while we're there?

2. the weekend we're going is the superbowl. are the parks more crowded or less that weekend?

Bucs300
08-10-2011, 03:00 AM
The weather here is hard to predict around that time of the year. Some years it's very nice and around 68 degrees or so, but then some years it's around mid 50's. Which is cold to us Florida people, but you being from KS it shouldn't bother you as much. ;)

Now as far as the crowds on Super Bowl weekend, I've never been that weekend personally. But from everything I've read about it in the past it's like an average Sunday during that time of year. Not a ghost town but not super busy either. Maybe someone on here has been on Super Bowl sunday and can let us know how it was. You would think everyone would be at home watching the game and the parks would be empty. :mickey:

Fangorn
08-10-2011, 03:23 AM
I've been there on Super Bowl Sunday. Epcot was 'normal' until about 2pm. At which time the place magically emptied. The place was pretty deserted the rest of the day.

Steve

Jillirose
08-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Feb temps (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp) range from 50 - 70s usually. Two years ago, it was freezing every day - unusual. Last year, beautiful and we hit the pool daily. Rarely have we seen any rain.

It can be pretty busy due to a lot of northerners taking a midwinter break (usually President's weekend) - but quite manageable with fast passes and hoppers. Crowds are affected by President's Weekend (20th) and the Daytona 500 (26th) later in the month so I think you're good :thumbsup:.

cer
08-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I think there have been 2 times we have been at WDW during the Super Bowl. We found the parks to be do-able. I did not really notice it making an impact on park attendance either for the good or bad.

As far as swimming, I have seen people swimming, but there are very few and I personally would not. While the pools are heated, that trip back to the room can be a very cold one.

Early Feb is a great time to go crowd-wise. It can get chilly. I remember one morning going to Indiana Jones and we were all bundled up and huddled up to keep warm.

I have been known to wear long underwear underneath for that extra layer of protection. I have also stocked up on hand-warmers as well. These are little packets you open and shake and then when they are exposed to the air they generate heat.

You know how they 'automagically' pull out ponchos for sale at every cash register when it rains? One year it was so cold, I found it funny that they were selling caps and gloves at the registers.

When your trip gets closer,keep your eye on Strmchsr's weather report and you will have a better idea how to pack..but be prepared for anything.

Oh, and I am from Tx and have a cold weather aversion, so cold to me may be warm to you! :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
08-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I can help you with the weather, but I've never been during Superbowl weekend. In my experience you have to be prepared for anything in Feb. Most often it's cool mornings and evenings and warm during the afternoon. I usually wear a t-shirt and jeans with a jacket that I can remove midday. We have been times though where we wore winter coats to the parks.

Pools are heated and there will certainly be people swimming (mostly kids), but it's a bit cold for my taste.

I really like early Feb crowd wise and I would much rather be a little chilly than sweat it out with the heat and crowds in summer.

Gator
08-11-2011, 12:43 AM
I was there in 2004 on Super Bowl Sunday. We were at MGM as it was known back then, and it was empty! Fabulous crowds. However, the rest of the week picked up quite a bit - especially at the Magic Kingdom as people were going there wondering which day the MVP would show up.

MonoMan
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
We have been there several times over Super Bowl weekend and the only place we noticed an extra crowd was at ESPN Zone and several other lounges that had the game on television. The weather has definitely varied, from sweatshirts and umbrellas to going to the pool to get a break from the heat. We usually pack a little bit of everything and never count on being able to swim, just in case

Jillirose
08-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Oh, and I am from Tx and have a cold weather aversion, so cold to me may be warm to you! :thumbsup:

LOL!! We are from Michigan and 60+ in a heated pool is fine with us for swimming :)

faline
08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
February can be variable. We've experience lovely pool weather in February and trips in which we would not go near a pool as it was too cool.