Hog
08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Cast:
Me: 28
DW:24
DD:4 turning 5 on our trip.
Hotel: Pop Century.
Oct. 6th - 13th

So this is my first trip report so bear with me. Lets start off with introducing my family, this will be my 5th trip to Disney, I didn't realize how much I loved it there until out trip last May. Now I am a fanatic and can't get enough of everything Disney. My DW has been to Disney countless times and wanted to go somewhere else this year for vacation but I convinced her it would be really special for my DD 5th birthday to take her on a surprise trip. Now my DD this will be her 3rd trip to the world but she loves it sooo much! She has every Disney DVD and after returning from our last trip she didn't stop talking about it for a month or two and looked at the photo albums everyday. Her favorite part last trips was meeting characters and we spent a ton of time doing that last time. This time she is alot taller and will be able to ride more rides so we will try to get her on ToT Splash Mountain BTMRR and others. If she knew we were going this time she would drive us crazy asking everyday " How many sleeps til Disney?"

We are staying at Pop Century, I have always stayed at Moderate and above, but those times I went with my parents and they could afford it. This is going to be our FIRST family vacation just the 3 of us... we have gone one alot of vacations in years past but always with mine or DW parents which was fun but not "just us." We don't care about what a hotel looks like or anything like that, as long as it has a bed, I mean we ARE in Disney so we won't spend anytime in the room. We got QSDP and ending up getting it for Free Dining. I think not having any sit down meals will allow us to have alot more time to explore the parks and not have to plan around TS Dinners.

So we originally planned on driving down but we found a great deal of flights so we are flying now for the same price it would have cost for us to drive, which is a huge relief to me but my DW was disappointed. Finding flights was great but when I booked them we hadn't saved any money on the Free Dining discount so the vacation price was already at a max for us. I called off work for extra days to account for the drive, now we are flying I have extra days on each end of our vacation. Now that we saved money on dining and all I wish we could go for more days, but with the flights being non refundable we can't. I also know my DW isn't going to want to go back to Disney for a WHILE, so I will just have to make our next trip longer.

Our flight leaves Pittsburgh @ 8am and we will arrive @ MCO @ 10am. So we will have a full day when we arrive to take advantage of the parks which Is awesome! In the past we have always arrived in the mid afternoon. We aren't telling my DD we are going to Disney until we get to the airport, we are still fine tuning our story, but it goes a little something like this...

I told my DD we were flying somewhere for my work and we weren't going to be able to have a birthday party for her this year and we would make it upto her while we were out of town by taking her to Chuck E Cheese or something. She was disappointed obviously, but she is a trooper and kept reassuring us it is ok as long as we make it upto her. But everyonce in a while she will ask if she can stay at Grandmas instead of going with us on my "boring" work trip. We keep telling her no because we want to be with her on her birthday. So thats the ground story, but we are still thinking of a great way to surprise her at the airport and tell her we are actually going to Disney at that point she will be bouncing off the walls. If anyone has any input on a story as to why we are all of the sudden deciding to goto Disney, I would love to hear others ideas. I will post a Trip report to let everyone know how that goes.

Finally when we are at the World, we aren't much for planning so we will just let my DD pick which park we goto each day and let her lead the way the entire trip. Except for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare on her birthday morning and BBB afterwards we have no plans the entire vacation. It should be awesome and I can't wait... it has been very hard not telling my DD about this trip because I know how excited and happy it would make her, but I keep telling myself it will make the final surprise that much more exciting. I can't wait to see the look on her face that morning....

emerzmom
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
"How many sleeps until Disney"...I love that! What a wonderful birthday surprise. Just an idea but when my daughter was younger I used to make her an "airplane bag" with books, crayons, a snack, etc. for the trip (keep her occupied on the plane). What about giving your daughter a bag with Disney coloring book, stickers, and a note from Mickey saying "Let's celebrate your birthday together" ...just a thought.
I am sure it will be a magical trip to remember!
Enjoy!
:mickey:
Julie

Hog
08-08-2011, 05:58 PM
What about giving your daughter a bag with Disney coloring book, stickers, and a note from Mickey saying "Let's celebrate your birthday together" ...just a thought.
I am sure it will be a magical trip to remember!

That is a great idea, I think we will add that to the list of things to give her that morning, we already got a couple Vinyl mation figures for the morning and will give her The Lion King Blu Ray on her actual birthday.

ElenitaB
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I surprised my then 6 yr old son with a trip to Disney. When I woke him up that morning, I gave him a card "from Mickey" that said that Mickey missed him as much as he missed Mickey and could he come meet him that afternoon in the Sorcerer's courtyard at DHS.

Have fun with the planning and a magical trip!

Posterchild
08-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Hog,

I was able to pull of something similar, we packed for a short trip to somewhere else, and then drove to the airport. The kids figured it out when we went to the airport, it was also their 1st plane ride, I think they were like 6 and 8 at the time.
Good luck with your surprise.

Also, give the airline a call and ask about changing flights. Sometimes its only 50 bucks a ticket, which is not too bad. Adding days to a package can be very cheap, sometimes only dollars a day, plus room cost.

Have fun on your trip! Nice pre-trip report. I also just wrote my 1st.

/Cheers, JP

mgmnut
08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Birthdays at Disney are great! How can you celebrate a birthday any better than that, other than just the fact you are all together!!

She will forever remember when she turned 5

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Have a wonderful trip

yjgirl32
08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Sounds great. Have a magical trip!

faline
08-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Your daughter is in for a very special birthday celebration! What fun!

January-2007
08-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a dream come true for your little princess, hope you all have a wonderful time. That first "just the 3 of us" vacation is oh so special so enjoy!

Hog
09-17-2011, 07:13 PM
We just added another night! Making it a 8 Night 9 day trip. This is very exciting, we added it all for around $200, the free dining upgrade made it all possible.

I would just like to thank everyone on Intercot for the advice and input while I was planning this trip everyone was a huge help. And thanks in advance for what I am sure will be a lot more questions over the next feww weeks as we continue to plan.

Also for anyone on the fence about using magical journeys, just do it! They have helped me change my trip multiple times and made it stress free, I wish they planned other vacations other than Disney.