PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the Animal Kingdom

Mickey'sGirl
08-08-2011, 11:47 AM
None of us are very keen on the Animal Kingdom, though our eldest son and my DH do enjoy Expedition Everest. In the past, we have always gone first thing in the morning, then skipped out by noon (the heat seems so very oppressive there). We didn't even make it to the park last year. I was wondering, what if we try something different and go mid-afternoon? Any opinions? Do the crowds clear out a bit? Would it be worthwhile?

ransam
08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
i agree with you.
personally i enjoy the later hours. when it starts getting dark (usually late hours), there's kind of a mystique about it that i really enjoy.

AllDisney
08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
AK is our least favorite of all the parks. We head over first thing. Do everything we love (EE, Bugs Life, Lion King Show, etc) we are usually out of the park by 4:00.

We used to do this park in half a day but with EE and the Nemo stage show we now tend to stay an additional 3 or 4 hours.

Maybe with people, like us, leaving earlier than park closing it will allow your family the time needed to do the park after your arrive early afternoon:number1:

Daddy Mouse
08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
The last time we went in the afternoon. It was a late extra magic hours and we really enjoyed ourselves.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, we love the AK but we always go in the Winter and I've noticed most people who do not like it go in the summer and it does tend to be the hottest park. It probably would be cooler in late afternoon but I would check out park hours first. According to the Tour books this is the best time to go because most people leave after the afternoon parade. Good luck:mickey:

Gator
08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I like to be ther at the end because you can virtually walk on ExEv. In fact, last time me and my buddy got to be the last ones through the queue and on the ride. We were on the last row on an almost empty train.

WDWCrazyKaren
08-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I know I will be in the minority here, but it's our least favorite park as well. As it also tends to be beastly (pun intended) hot there, we go to rope drop in the morning and try to get out of there by noon at the very latest. FP for EE, race to KS, do the few shows we want to see, and high-tail (another intended pun) it out of there and not look back!

We feel we HAVE to go at least to say we went, but that's about all they can get out of us.

Goofy Forever
08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
We just got back from WDW and, in August, I would suggest NOT going in the afternoon. It is the hottest park because the overall set up of the park is so flawed. The walkways are very narrow so there is no breeze to cool things off.
Also, if you like to see the animals, go in the morning as they like to hide in the shade on hot days.
Continue going in the mornings.

lighteningqueen
08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
It is our favorite park.People do not give it enough time to explore it. It is more than those rides.I would go in the morning first thing in the summer. We go in Dec and this year in Jan. We stay all day and usually go back again to eat and ride the rides one more time.Love that park!!!!

akaDisneyDreamer
08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
We love Animal Kingdom park! We like to be there early to see the opening show then go on Kilamanjaro Safari first thing. There's Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids and Dinosaur which are also favorite rides. We can't miss Festival of the Lion King show and we saw for the first time last year, Finding Nemo, the Musical, which was actually pretty good. One of our favorite places to eat at WDW is Yak & Yeti (table service), which is also in this wonderful park. Then there are the little things you stumble upon, like seeing DeVine walking along the path. Last but not least, we think the Jamin' Jungle Parade is the best parade around! Agreed, it is hot and muggy with all the foilage, but it is also very pretty. :nemo:

lighteningqueen
08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Thats what I was saying. Yak and Yeti is yummy for steak and shrimp, Tusker is the best breakfast you will eat your whole trip and going into that peaceful park first thing in the morning. Divine, push in Rafikis planet, The water falls, Tree of life walk, is the most interesting thing looking for all the animals that took many men many hours to carve, Bugs life show is great, but Lion King is worth the most in that park.Lastly the gift shops have the most creative displays, plus their merchandise, for the most part is different than any other park.. Just plain a great great park!!! Thank You Disney!!!!

Tink#64
08-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Ok, it sounds like we're actually with the majority here, AK is our least favorite park! Mind you we have several things on our must do list there, but we arrive at park opening & do EE first, followed by Dinoland next (the blacktop becomes brutal with the heat!) & then manage our fav's & head out! I can't imagine waiting until the hottest part of the day to arrive in AK! Now if touring in cooler weather, this could be ideal! But we've only visited April - June. We try to be out of there by 2 -3 & we're just drained by then. I'd think it would be like any where else with the heat continuing to climb until 4 -5 o'clock & AK usually closes so much earlier than the other parks, I never even considered arriving later. My experience is too, that parks are usually so crowded by lunch time, that after that even the best laid plans can fly out the window! :haha:

BigRedDad
08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
I love AK, except the Dinoland carnival.

There is so much more theming at this park than others. The foliage, buildings, CMs, are just everywhere. I think a lot of this goes back to the Nahtazu campaign. AK is not a zoo, but it does have several things that are like a zoo. AK houses 2 of the best free shows in all of WDW. It has some of the more unique characters for M&Gs. The rides are entertaining but lacking in number. The street performers are a blast to listen to. The parade is one of the most addicting and fun parades out there (except Tapestry of Nations).

I think people do not give it credit or just have an idea that it is a zoo. Too each their own.

Kilimanjaro Safari: Yes, this is a zoo type trek. Still a great attraction.
Kal River Rapids: I enjoy this ride simply through the enjoyment of my DD. I don't care about walking around wet. To watch her jump and cheer on that ride about 10x in a row is something I never forget and will do every time we go.
Expedition Everest: This is a very fun coaster.
Maharaja Jungle Trek: Nice too see animals. This is like a zoo, but still fun.
Gorilla Trail: Same as above.
Finding Nemo: A very well done show and one of the most elaborate in the parks. It is a can't miss
Dinoland: It is a carnival area. I do not like it, but tolerate it.
Tree of Life/ITTBAB: Very fun to look at all the intricacies of the tree. Fun to see all the "bug" movie posters. The show is great as well.
FotLK: Another can't miss show. Another one of the best free shows.
MJJP: The Jammin' Jungle parade is just so much fun. The music has a fun beat, the characters greet bystanders all over.
Characters: You get to meet many characters that can only be seen here: Flik, Princess Atta, Rafiki, Terk, and others. You also get Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy, Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, Baloo, King Louis, Stitch, Giminy Cricket, and others.

Posterchild
08-09-2011, 08:06 AM
It is odd how AK is so Hot! I am not sure why with all the foliage.

I have visited in the afternoon (after it starts to cool off) on an evening EMH night. It actually is quite nice in the evenings, and we will likely add that to our routine.

Previously I was a morning person, and echoed everyone elses sentiments, but now I like AK later in the day.

Mickey'sGirl
08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Actually, there aren't evening EMH's at AK any longer. :( If we go in the afternoon, it will only be until the park closes at 6. I think that will be the way we roll this time.

BigRedDad, I agree that there are plenty of fabulous things about AK. However, we are limited in what we can do there by our kids. Our sons are autistic and the heat really effects them, especially the younger one. Kali is a no go, because they can't get wet, and going to and sitting through any of the shows is next to impossible. Our AK days are basically limited to It's Tough to Be a Bug, Kiliminjaro Safaris, Expedition Everest and the stuff at Dinoland. ITTBB is due to be "refurbed" while we are down this year, so that takes another thing off our list.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Actually, there aren't evening EMH's at AK any longer. :( If we go in the afternoon, it will only be until the park closes at 6. I think that will be the way we roll this time.

BigRedDad, I agree that there are plenty of fabulous things about AK. However, we are limited in what we can do there by our kids. Our sons are autistic and the heat really effects them, especially the younger one. Kali is a no go, because they can't get wet, and going to and sitting through any of the shows is next to impossible. Our AK days are basically limited to It's Tough to Be a Bug, Kiliminjaro Safaris, Expedition Everest and the stuff at Dinoland. ITTBB is due to be "refurbed" while we are down this year, so that takes another thing off our list.

That is unfortunate because it probably will not cool off enough to make a difference until after 5pm so you are probably better off going at park opening and doing your must do's there...I really do think the time of year you visit is a deciding factor in how well you like the park...too too hot in summer:fan::sun:

mousetrapper
08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
One of my family's all-time favorite experiences anywhere on WDW property was evening EMH at AK the year E:E opened. The park was nearly empty, and we rode E:E over and over again without waiting. The ambiance in the area surrounding E:E was amazing -- our DDs bought tea and enjoyed the atmosphere, and we all laughed at the "oooo...ooooo" sound of the Yeti in the woods along the path near the ride.

The fact there are no more evening EMHs at AK is upsetting. I wish Disney would reconsider but perhaps it has something to do with the animals not being disturbed that late? :confused:

Anyway, AK is not one of our favorite parks per se but it does have some things that are not-to-be-missed (at least for our family):

E:E -- one of the best rollercoaster experiences ever.
Dinosaur -- We avoided this our first few years (the DDs were pretty young) but after discovering it we realized what a gem it is. One of our favorite rides in all of WDW.
Kilimanjaro Safari -- Storyline may be worn out but we always enjoy this because it's so quintessentially AK for us.
The atmosphere -- Again, we love the way Disney has replicated the various regions, and especially love the Nepal area.

AK is still a one-day park for us (unless Disney brings back evening EMHs!) but we still wouldn't miss it each trip.

MrPeetrie
08-09-2011, 03:27 PM
It is our favorite park.People do not give it enough time to explore it.

I agree. This is one of our favorite parks. And we love to get there early in the morning. Our favorite thing is to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris bright and early.

It's Tough To Be A Bug is our favorite 3D show. We love the Nemo Show, FOTLK, Dinosaur, and E:E. Plus, the park is beautiful.

My wife loves to walk around with her field guide and explore the flora and fauna. I think this is a park that has to be seen slowly to fully enjoy.

On our first trip there, I was let down. The park felt "rushed." Since then, I've found it more and more beautiful and enjoyable. I'd go early. That would be my opinion.

clausjo
08-09-2011, 03:58 PM
My family loves Animal Kingdom! We really enjoy our time there. I agree that this park is best explored at a slower pace. We went on the safari once right at the end of the day and it was incredible! More animals than we've ever seen, even doing it first thing.

But, to each his own . . .

disneydeb
08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
One of my favorites! I am with your boys on KRR though, I hate getting wet!

YOu know your boys best, but I like to go early in the morning ride EE, get fp for EE, do safari, do nemo, ride EE again, see Lion King show, then go to a cooler park.

Have FUN!

DisneyFr33k
08-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Our vote is going in the morning and leave by early afternoon. We've always flown into Orlando and check into our resort by 11am. We always go to AK, get fast passes for EE and KS and eat at Flame Tree. It does get hot and the FP's run out for EE and KS, especially in the peak times. We always leave by 5pm. We feel we get all there is for us in half a day.

lighteningqueen
08-10-2011, 09:13 AM
AK is only open from 9-5 period Once or twice a week it opens at 8am so short days anyway.. Too bad some of you are really missing a good park,just to ride 2 rides...

azcavalier
08-11-2011, 08:33 AM
It is probably our least favorite as well, but we still really enjoy it.

Though, of all the parks Disney has created, it is the most amazing. I mean, they basically *grew* a park. The way they incorporated the animal habitats without visible fences is amazing. The Tree of Life is also incredible. And while it doesn't have a lot of rides, for the money, they have some of the best rides. EE, Kali, Dinosaur, and Kilimanjaro Safaris are all great attractions. Finding Nemo is the most amazing, best stage production in all four parks.

So, we really enjoy it, but usually only hit it once, while we will hit the other parks multiple times on a trip.

We also always get there first thing. Grab fastpasses for EE, and go do other stuff.

mydisneygirls
08-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Believe it or not, the reason AK is hotter than the other parks is because Disney makes it that way because of the animals and to make you feel as though you are in Africa. Found this out years ago from someone who worked there.

luvdiznee
08-11-2011, 08:39 PM
We enjoy AK Park. For this upcoming trip we plan to get a FP for Kilimanjaro then onto Kali River and Everest. We plan to have a late lunch at Y&Y.

It is going to be a long day for us, because this is the same day we will be going to MNSSHP.:secret: Trying to decide if we should stay for Jammin Jungle.

Hoping we make it! :marg:

texas211
08-13-2011, 12:08 PM
AK is our least favorite of all the parks. We head over first thing. Do everything we love (EE, Bugs Life, Lion King Show, etc) we are usually out of the park by 4:00.

We used to do this park in half a day but with EE and the Nemo stage show we now tend to stay an additional 3 or 4 hours.

Maybe with people, like us, leaving earlier than park closing it will allow your family the time needed to do the park after your arrive early afternoon:number1:

Our family is the same way. If it was up to me, we'd skip the AK. I don't really care for any of the rides. We've have gone at different times, the only hing, the later you go, the fuller the refreshment lines get.