PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my tickets to AP?

Disney Hungarian
08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
I have the 6 day hopper on my Memories package. Since this is my 3rd trip in a year. I was wondering if I should just get an AP. Does anyone know how much it will be to upgrade? Will I lose the free dining options when booking another trip in December? Should I stay off-site to save money with the AP (I know that sounds blasphemous) since mom is in a wheelchair and I will probably drive to the parks since the busses are what they are?

Grumpy.
08-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I can only answer one of your questions, and it may be the deal breaker. If you have AP's, you can not take advantage of any free dining promotions, unless you buy normal MYW tickets.

Disney Hungarian
08-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I can only answer one of your questions, and it may be the deal breaker. If you have AP's, you can not take advantage of any free dining promotions, unless you buy normal MYW tickets.
Thank you. Tis not a deal breaker since I love the $3 all you can bean burrito buffet at Taco Bell. (I can only eat 3 of them) If I can get a room discount with the AP that may make it cost effective.

BigRedDad
08-08-2011, 07:58 AM
At the end of the trip is the best time to upgrade the MYW ticket to AP. Like you, the free dining is not a deal breaker. I think it is a waste to begin with. I cannot break even on it even if it was free.

The break even point of an AP is about 12 days. If you are there more than that in a 12 month period, AP's are the way to go.

There is nothing wrong with staying off site. I have not done it, but I have looked into it. You can get condos or homes just outside WDW for $600 a week. You can find rooms at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $600 (2BR) to $1200 (4BR pres) for a week. It is impossible to get those rates at a Value resort with an AP. There is truly not much of a benefit of staying on site except EMH. For us, that is not deal breaker.

wildernesslady
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Once you use your park passes, upgrade to an AP. It will not affect your current package that includes the free dining. Your AP date does begin on the first day you used your hopper pass. We did this last Oct. with the same package and just paid the difference of the ticket price.

Disney4
08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I find that 2 trips usually makes the AP worthwhile. There are several dining discounts you get and merchadise discounts as well with the AP that can make the return on your investment quicker.

What really makes the AP pay for me is the discount on the room. I just took advantage of the 40% offer this fall. That alone saved me almost 2k.