PDA

View Full Version : ECV Questions

DisneyRPh
08-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I have 2 questions of ECVs. First is easier than the second.

1. How much to rent in the park?

2. What is the proper etiquette for using one? I'm an amputee, and I know crutching all day won't be an option for me. (I'm not as young as i used to be.:blush:) Is there "parking" areas I can use and crutch in the general area? There seems to be a lot of discussion on the ECV use, and I want to make sure mine, as well as the other guests have a magical trip!

Thank you so much!!!

Disney4us2
08-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi,

I think it is $50.00 per day plus deposit to rent at the park. I would rent from an out side company. That way you will have the ECV with you all the time. There are a lot of rental companies. I used Apple for our December trip. If you rent from an outside company, they have crutch holders that can be attached to the ECV.

As far as the second question. I try to be an alert driver. People will just stop or run right in front of you. I take my scooter with me in the lines and the CM's will let you know where to park. I have also had a lot of help from the CM's at the counter service. I will place my order and when it is ready they take the tray to the table for me.

On the whole, I have not had any bad experiences with other guests. I did however learn the hard way, never to sit on my scooter while on the bus. I tipped over, scooter and all and ended up on the floor when the bus made a sharp left turn. That would only apply if you rent from an outside company.

Hope you have a magical time.:mickey:

Itchy
08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
If you are staying on the properties I would rent one from one of the off site rental companies. That way you have it in and out of the parks.

Last May I rented one from Apple Scooter for $105 for 4 days which included the insurance for free. It was a 4 wheel model that my lady friend used and she had no problems with tiping. The ones in the park are 4 wheel as well.

We have reserved another from Apple Scooter for our trip in 27 days. They deliver and will pickup at the resort where you are staying. It was a very straight forward experience.

Hope this helps.

TheDuckRocks
08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
If you are presently questioning if you need an ECV or not, you more than likely do. Rent one and have a better trip for having done so.
1) I don't know how much Disney rental is at the present time, but I would bet money on the fact it would be cheaper from an outside vendor. I also love that the ECV is ready with a full charge and waiting at my resort when I arrive. Having one full time is also great as at the end of a long day in the parks you would find me collapsed on the ground part way back to the room from the bus. My favorite rental company is Apple Scooter, great people to work with and if there is any problem with their equipment they are very fast to respond and get you back wheeling along.
2) Operating an ECV is very simple and safe if you are a very diligent driver. Trouble only looms when the "walker" and you are not paying attention. Just like driving a car you can only be responsible for yourself, but you must keep an eye out at all times for the other guy. I have never run into anyone other than family members, which is a tale for another day. Do not buy into the negetivity about the ECV hate posts. For the hundreds of ECVs that are daily being used at Disney most do a darn good job. Those that don't probably can't drive a car well either.
When choosing which ECV you would like to rent the main 2 differences are size and if it has 3 or 4 wheels. I have found that picking out the smallest one for my weight and size makes it more manageable. 3 wheels have a smaller turn radius and 4 wheels are more stable, lately I have been getting a Pride Go-go Elite with 4 wheels, giving up a little bit of the compact turn for the more stable ride. I just hate those train tracks on Main Street.:thedolls:
Finally as a previous poster mentioned Do Not stay in one while on a bus.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I priced renting them in the park compared to renting from an outside company. If you rent from the park, you have to pick it up when you enter and drop it off when exiting so you are not guaranteed use the following day because it is first come first serve. Not only do you get to keep it with you for the duration of your trip, renting from an outside company is roughly half the cost of renting from the park. Plus they will deliver to your resort and pick it up. I used Apple scooters to reserve a scooter for our December trip for my mother. Good luck:thumbsup:

disneydeb
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Based on personal experience it is so much easier and affordable to rent from an outside company. :thumbsup:

disneymom2000
08-19-2011, 12:02 AM
I just appreciate your thoughtfulness of other people when you are in a situation like this. Not very many people put too much thought about the pleasure of others before themselves. I hope you enjoy yourself while you are there and please be mindful with the people who will walk in front of you and then give you a look because you are using one. I have had that experience and it isn't pleasant. I hate that there is a need for the ECV's but I am glad they are available.

Renfairwedding
08-19-2011, 12:30 PM
If you want to "Crutch" around, most rides have a place to park and enter the ride just ask a CM in the area you would like to park.

If you return and don't find your "Ride" were you left it a CM may have moved it to a better spot out of the way. This happens once in a while with Scooters and Strollers. It will be nearby.

also.... I use a Electric Wheel Chair. As I try to be careful every once in a while get to meet new people who don't see me and end up in my lap. With all of the Disney distractions I try to be extra careful....