PDA

View Full Version : Any other law enforcement families?

Dulcee
08-06-2011, 07:07 PM
My fiance and I moved to NC about a year ago for me to start grad school and he luckily got a spot in the police academy. We live in one of the bigger cities here and he graduated a few weeks ago.

I grew up in a family where we weren't allowed to have water guns, much less real ones and everyone was home at 5 from work so this transition to cop's wife hasn't been easy. He's working night shifts right now and I spend a lot of the time worrying about him. It doesn't help that their department lost a young man due to an accident in his patrol car just a week ago. The funeral was a reality check for both him and I.

Anyone else out there with a spouse who's a cop? How do you cope with the crazy hours and the worry?

dobby2010
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
You sound just like me. My husband has been a police officer for about 3 years now, and is also on night shift. I don't have any great advice on how to cope with the wierd hours, other than make the most of the time you do have together. It is hard to adjust to. Have you made friends with any of the other officer's wives? It has helped me a little having made some good friends with the fellow wives, so we can comisserate with eachother. There are also some online support groups you can find if you just google police wives (not sure I can post links to them here.) I don't post here much but if you'd like to pm me, hopefully I can help answer other questions for you. Hang in there.

Auntie B
08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
My hubby is also a police officer. We have been "in the circle" for 24 years now. I would suggest getting to know the other wives in your department - they will totally understand your frustrations and concerns and be there for you to lean on and learn from. I was given a book called "I Love a Police Officer" (a long time ago) and it was a really great read. Answered lots of questions and helped me understand what being a cops wife was all about. (If I can find it I will PM you the authors name if you are interested.) While we never really stop worrying about the safety of our guys, we just learn to trust that all will go well and he will be home at the end of his shift - that is the goal of every officer I know. You will get used to the odd hours and even get into a routine. About the time you get into a routine, his schedule will probably change! ;) If I can answer any specific questions, please let me know!