PDA

View Full Version : tips

motherof4
08-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I understand the tips are included in your bill. what if the server doesn't deserve the tip that they are asking for. Do you have the right to give less for poor service. For example i had a waiter at Boma that never came to our table to refill our drinks and never came back to see how we were doing or if we needed anything. I didn't think he deserved the full 18 percent. I don't mind tipping for good service but I don't think all waiters and waitresses deserve it.

jonahbear2006
08-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Well you arent only tipping the wait staff but also the bussing staff and the hostesses and the carvers and the expos that work in the kitchen. They will have to tip share that money into other workers who did help prepare your food and get your table ready for you. I am sure that part of the reason why disney world tips are so high is because they have such a large staff in each of their restaurants, in order to keep up with such a demanding market of people. So whether or not your server "deserved" the 18% or not isnt really the issue. If you tip less than a certain percentage, the waiter will actually have to PAY to wait on you and this happens a lot. Waiters have to tip out between 10 and 12%, depending on the state, for their taxes to the government. If they dont, they can be audited. At the end of their shift they have to take the amount of food they sold and claim 10% of that as tax money that they pay, then they take the rest of their tip money and a percentage that they made on food (not tips) and pay tip share. After all is said and done, they keep what is left, so when you cut the cost of what disney is expecting you to pay, you are expecting your server to pay for the rest of the staff to wait on you, as well. Perhaps he had a bad day or he had to run to the bathroom or had a headache. Who knows? I try to think the best of people and I realize that I am not going to get excellent service each and every meal I eat out, but I never cut the tip. I feel like it is part of the bill, esp since me and my husband have both worked as waiters before. I feel like the bonus that you give, beyond what was expected, is what you pay for excellent service!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-05-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm thinking tips are only included in the bill if you are a party of 6 or more.....

jonahbear2006
08-05-2011, 08:37 PM
you are correct. they grat. tables of 6 or more.

greengeen
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
If you use the "Tables in Wonderland" discount card, an 18% gratuity is automatically included.

I don't think there is any legitimate excuse for WDW pushing an 18% tip, when the American standard is 15%. It annoys me, even though I would tend to tip more than 15% anyway!

If the service is below par, whether the gratuity is "included" or not, you can always speak to the manager.

PopPhan
08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
What the OP MAY be thinking of is the 'suggested tip' calculated on the slip....It is not mandatory to leave the amount listed on the slip (I actually think they quote to rates 18% [for TIW] and 20% [standard tip percentage]

As others have said, parties over 6 persons and TIW cardholders get their tip automatically added to the bill, but you may pay more if you believe you got exceptional service!

jonahbear2006
08-06-2011, 12:54 PM
It is a lot of money because the food costs are so high. Its kind of devastating to save for a trip and then find that you need to save another $400 to pay tips at dinner, especially after you just payed several hundred dollars for the food. Our Dining plan in october cost us $2400. that is twice what we spent on accommodations but I wouldnt trade it for the world. We super love the disney food and restaurants. Its something we look forward to everyday. We get done eating and the kids say, where are we eating tomorrow!?! If we get service that isnt exactly what we expected I try to turn the other cheek bc any confrontation about it is only going to make our day at disney remember with irritation and sadness.

iceicebritney
08-06-2011, 02:03 PM
If there is an occasion where we have terrible service, which is incredibly rare at WDW, we ask to speak to the manager. Having worked in the service industry incollege, we understand that the tip isn't just for the waiter, so we don't let the tip be effected by the service. However, making the manager alert of the situation at hand is something that doesn't effect the busers, chefs at hibachi restaurants, or hostesses take home because the server failed to do their job.

PETE FROM NYC
08-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry , but having a tip automatically added to the bill should be illegal.
I am not a cheapskate, meaning I tip well , when its deserved. WDWs food prices are up there as it is so why should anyone have to be forced into paying maybe more than they can afford.
I was a bartender back in the 70s, getting $15 per shift. Some weeknights, my tip jar may have had $20-30. On exceptional nights it may top $100. So I think that I know what a tip means to a server.
Tip for good service, the amount you feel comfortable with, not what some unseen force thinks you should tip.