PDA

View Full Version : Mom wants to go swimming!

Disney Hungarian
08-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Mom is right now, as I type this, out shopping for a bathing suit with my sister.

The only problem is that we are staying at the All Star Sports on this upcoming trip and they do not have a zero-entry pool. I could not afford to stay anywhere else. I know that Disney has a "No pool hopping policy" but can or do they make exceptions for someone in a wheel-chair?

Any info or advice would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

tennantsrwe
08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I would def. call WDW or your resort directly and ask. Seems to me they would have to make an exception since they can not accommodate someone in a wheelchair. I don't see how they couldn't with the ADA, I'd think that would be discrimatory? All you can do is try, never know...they may have no issue allowing it. Good Luck!!

Mickey'sGirl
08-05-2011, 12:56 PM
OP, I appreciate your question, but I completely disagree with the previous poster.

Not to sound harsh, but the pools are intended for the guests staying at each particular resort. There are potentially thousands of guests in wheelchairs at the DisneyWorld resorts on any given day, and those guests should not be expecting to visit any pool because of easier access.

I do know from experience that at the Disney Hotels, there is always an entrance to the pools that is designed to aid guests with mobility issues. I know that there is definitely such an entrance at the All Star Sports.

That said, you can always ask. I just wouldn't expect to be allowed to. I hope you have a fabulous trip.

tennantsrwe
08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
OP, I appreciate your question, but I completely disagree with the previous poster.

I do know from experience that there is an entrance to the pools that is designed to aid guests with mobility issues. I know that there is definitely such an entrance at the All Star Sports.

If they resort they're staying out does indeed offer accommodations for her mother to use the pool then I agree, they don't need to pool hop. However, if that isn't the case I don't see how they couldn't offer some sort of exception on the pool hopping rule. I would assume Disney is smart enough to have pool entries at all resorts for ppl with mobility issues. I def. think you should call and find out as much information as possible before you go. That would just eliminate confusion and aggravation on your trip. :mickey:

Disney Hungarian
08-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks,
I do not think it would be an ADA issue either. I just want to make it as safe as possible for mom. I shall inquire at the resort upon arrival. I do imagine that having thousands of wheel-chair guests pool hoping would be a bit of a problem for Disney. I just hadn't thought of it that way.

TexansInNY
08-05-2011, 02:24 PM
You will not have any issues - entry to pools is regulated by the ADA specifically in Chapter 2, Section 242. Although I do not know specifically what type of assistance it is for that specific pool I assure you they have one (or two as I bet that pool has over 300 linear feet of pool wall).

cer
08-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Cool that you are able to take your mom again! Praying for a great trip with many wonderful memories to carry home.

When in Sept will you be there?

Disney Hungarian
08-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone!

Cool that you are able to take your mom again! Praying for a great trip with many wonderful memories to carry home.

When in Sept will you be there?
We will be there the 24-30th. Mom is doing very well on the Aricept. She is beating the odds and I am so grateful for that. Still dreading the day she doesn't recognize me. Until then, we will have fun and try to make as many memories as possible (however fleeting they may be.):mickey:

Disney Hungarian
08-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Mom has purchased her bathing suit and all accessories. Accessories??? Oh well, I think it is cool she is excited about going again.

She has been practicing putting on and taking off the bathing suit by herself (she tries hard to be independent) the last 2 days. She will go swimming even if I have to pick her up and carry her in. :)

cer
08-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Accessories! Why yes, let's see...she needs shoes wear down to the pool, a coverup that matches her suit, a big floppy hat and sunglasses, a beach towel and sunscreen! (and maybe even a cute bag to carry it all in!) Good thing your sister took her shopping, you might have missed on the accessories. :thumbsup:

Have a magical trip!

spoiledraf
08-08-2011, 05:49 AM
They may have a lift to get her into the pool. We're at the Beach Club and I expect to be using theirs today. You need to call the resort directly and talked to someone who knows "for sure" what is available. Don't rely on what you read here or even the Disney reservation number. Call All Star Sports direct.

WishingStar2006
08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I know that at Wilderness Lodge they have a special lift for those in a wheelchair....you just tell the Lifeguard and they take care of everything for you. It's like a sling chair that swivels around and lowers the person into the pool.

Have great time...make memories!!!!