PDA

View Full Version : Driving from NE (only 1 driver), how far per day?

Jessie
08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Our family is driving down from Massachusetts in early September. It'll be me, my husband and our three kids. I am the only person able to drive. I've driven down before, but that was with more than one driver. How far do you think is reasonable to plan for a day's drive (in hours or miles or even points on a map). I'm just trying to get some sort of rough estimate for days on the road and areas to stop. TIA!

Strmchsr
08-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Just me in the car with no one else, I've done 12-14 hour hauls, but that leaves me pretty wiped. If the kids are awake (not driving overnight), I would say 10 hours is about the limit for one day's driving, especially when you'll have to do it on more than one day.

brivers222
08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
i can make it about 12 hours before I finally need to start thinking about surrendering the wheel or getting some high power caffeine fix. I can sometimes push 15hours... We would usually start out about 8 am.

Its a 19 hour car trip for us... I have driven it myself twice now straight through, it was tough but I loved getting there so "fast".... but with kids and food and potty breaks you are probably looking at about 10 hours of actual drive time.

CanadianWDWFan
08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
For us it is 20 hours and I do all the driving. What I like to do is have a 14 hour long haul drive the first day then a "short" 6 hour drive the next day. By having the short drive the next day, we get to our resort just after lunch and I don't feel exhausted so I can still get to enjoy the rest of the day.

For us, DVD systems are a must. I personally enjoy listening to the movies as I drive, it helps pass the time on the long drive.

Briansmom
08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Wow, I didn't realize how far north Mass was until I just looked on Mapquest...lol. I feel very fortunate to live where we do now as far as distance to WDW! We are in the geographical center of NC and it takes us about 9.5 hours to get there and my husband usually drives it all...not sure why...(welllll, it could be cuz I start dozing as soon as I get behind the wheel.... :sleepin: :blush:)

I guess the point I'm making is just letting you know how far it would be for you from Dunn, NC if you wanted to make the first day a longer one. Also, my husband doesnt have a problem with driving the 9.5 hours it takes us...we take multiple breaks because we have a special needs son that needs a break.

Jessie
08-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Wow I'm actually feeling a lot more hopeful than I was before! We've never done such a long drive before and I have no idea how the kids will handle it. I do have an ipad that I plan on using for movies, but I may have to purchase a portable DVD player instead since I'll need the ipad myself for info and I don't want to risk it breaking.

I had planned for us to leave around 6am and from there I wasn't sure what to expect.

*taking notes* :write:

barnaby
08-03-2011, 11:11 PM
It is really a personal comfort level, in my opinion. If you and your family can do it, split it up into 2 days, and make the first day longer.

I drive down from South Jersey. Last trip we drove straight through both ways, total of about 19 hours each way with stops. Left NJ at 2AM, arrived in Orlando at 9PM. On the way home, we left WDW at 9AM, and got home at 6AM.
We've done 2 days too, with a long first day and 6 hour day 2 drive.

BigRedDad
08-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Its too hard to say. You never know what you may encounter. Literally, you need to stop every three hours to move around, even for just 5 minutes. The reason if this is the blood clot thing for staying in one position for too long.

For me, I would feel fine with 12-14 hours by myself. However, DW and DD would never do it. Luckily for us, we are only 10 hours from Orlando.

spoiledraf
08-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm good for 11-12 hours on our trips from NE Ohio to Atlanta. Usually have a tough hour and then a second wind. I think if I were driving to Disney I may even get a third wind! We'll be leaving for a 17 hour drive tommorrow to WDW. But the wife will take the wheel for part of it. Unless I get some super human Disney energy!

Strmchsr
08-04-2011, 07:54 AM
I do have an ipad that I plan on using for movies, but I may have to purchase a portable DVD player instead

If you're seriously considering a drive this long, the greatest investment you can make is to spend a couple of hundred dollars on one of the portable DVD player systems. We got one on Amazon for less than $200 that has 2 screens and you can play a different movie on each one. That way if my 11 yr old and 5 yr old don't want to watch the same thing we have no conflict.

Jessie
08-04-2011, 09:00 AM
If you're seriously considering a drive this long, the greatest investment you can make is to spend a couple of hundred dollars on one of the portable DVD player systems. We got one on Amazon for less than $200 that has 2 screens and you can play a different movie on each one. That way if my 11 yr old and 5 yr old don't want to watch the same thing we have no conflict.

Thank you so much! I wasn't even sure where to start looking and this was just what I needed to point me in the right direction. Researching now and will order next week. :thumbsup:

AgentC
08-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I used to live in MA and we did multiple road trips from MA to FL before we moved here.

On most trips out goal was to make it into NC on the first night. But that was before we had kids. I have a 3 and 5 year old now and find we don't make it as far with the extra stops they require.

I agree with Strmchsr that a portable dvd system is wonderful. We use ours all the time and as a bonus you can take it in the room and hook it up to the tv.

Mousemates
08-04-2011, 11:52 AM
My suggestion for this kind of drive is to leave much earlier than 6...more in the 3am to 4am range...that puts you on the road for a good three hours and allows you to make steady progress before you start hitting metro areas where you are apt to get tied up in the morning rush hour traffic...if you get in stop and go traffic at that point stop at a Waffle House and load up on carbs and caffeine, stretch your legs and then hit it again.

drive thorughout the day, stopping about every two to three hours just to stretch your legs...do lunch in the car and then if you hit evening rush hour go ahead and stop for dinner and if you are up to it drive a couple more hours.

This schedule isn't too bad for a single day...and will get you a relatively easy 14-17 hours in. However, we are all wired a little bit differently and the key thing is to know your own limits and stop BEFORE you start getting too drowsy.

Another thing to remember about long drives (just like long flights on the airlines) is that you need to keep your legs moving to avoid the unlikely (but possible) issue of having blood clots form. Our internal medicine doctor suggested taking a low dose baby aspirin as preventative before making an especially long drive.

Hope you have a great trip.

Jessie
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Leaving earlier might be a better idea. It'll also give my kids more sleep on the road time which means less "I'm bored!" issues. I'll just tell my husband he's on kid duty the night before and I'll go to sleep extra early.

I hadn't thought about taking a low dose aspirin. That's not a bad idea! I'll talk to my doctor about it since I'll be seeing her before I leave.

DonLefNY
08-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I've driven to our Florida home (near WDW) by myself from Upstate New York. First day I drove to Richmond, Virginia which took about 10 hours (had dinner with a Disney friend there). Second day I drove to Savannah, Georgia which took 8 hours. Third day I finished up with a 5.5 hour drive to my house which is about 45 min. south of WDW.

Dsnygirl
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I am making the trip as a solo driver with my girls in August, and travelling from Upstate/ Central NY. My girls are 10 & almost 13, so we are pulling a 12 hr day the first day, sleeping in SC and finishing the next day with about 6 1/2 hrs.

I think the ages of your children come into play when deciding when to leave & how long to go for... my girls are not "car sleepers", haven't been since they outgrew naps, really, so for us, letting them get a good night's rest and leaving at 7am ensures me more positive attitudes & tolerance than waking them up early & hoping for naps. ;) But if your children are young & will fall back to sleep, I think the idea of leaving early is a great one!

As far as DVD players, I totally agree... they are GREAT for long trips, I even end up listeni.g in if it's a movie I know and like.... ( and I do make some of my preferences known as they are picking...:blush:) Do your kids have DS's, or if they are younger, any of the Leapfrog systems? Those are wonderful for car rides, as well. ( and I just found car "activity books") at our local Michael's... tons of games &puzzles...)

Good luck w/ your decision & planning.... I have a feeling it will work out great for you!! ( and I can't put links to the threads here, as I'm posting from my phone, but there are some great "driving" threads here, with directions & tips for routes to avoid.... just scroll down through the Vacatiin Planning threads & you should find them...)

PETE FROM NYC
08-06-2011, 08:16 PM
I drove the last 2 Septs, with me the sole driver. I can do 10 hrs per day , making stops for food and bathroom breaks, plus I must stop about every 2 hrs to stretch my arthritic knees, 2 laps around the car.
We also have a cooler with drinks.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Jessie, if you are still thinking of getting the DVD player, they have a dual one on sale at Target this week, I think it was on sale for something like $89.00. I believe both screens play the same movie though.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
RCA 7" Dual Screen Portable DVD Player - Black $89

Two people can watch DVDs at once with this portable DVD player. Children can watch movies in stereo on separate screens during long car rides. Simply plug the DVD player into a car adapter, and keep children entertained while you are on the road.

Features: Built-In Stereo Speakers
Screen Size: 7.0 "
Display Modes: Movie
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Number of Headphone Jacks: 2
Media Type Compatibility: CD, DVD
Output Type: Dual Stereo Headphone Jack
Battery Charge Life: Up to 2 Hours
Includes: Rechargeable Battery Pack, Car Adapter, AC Power Adapter
Warranty Description: 1 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty

Jessie
08-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Kathy - thanks so much for passing along that info! Luckily I hadn't bought one yet. Most likely will this week, though. :thumbsup:

faline
08-08-2011, 07:20 PM
We've driven from Massachusetts several times but have always had more than one driver. If you're driving 12 hours by yourself, plan on being very tired at the end of the day (I once was a solo driver from Buffalo to eastern Massachusetts and that was very tiring!).

I, too, would suggest leaving around 4 in the morning - it helps avoid some of the rush hours along the way although we never could seem to avoid Hartford at rush hour no matter what! Consider going over the Tappen Zee rather than straight through New York City.

I wouldn't plan on making it more than North Carolina on the first day. With 3 kids, I would imagine you'll have more rest stops than you might plan on which will slow you down some but, with one driver, might be a good thing as it will allow you some time to stretch your legs.

Be aware of how easy it is to fall asleep driving - even when you think you are still awake. I had this experience on one trip where, even with your eyes open, you find yourself drifting. It's scary and it's an experience I would never want to repeat!

LVT
08-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Tough. Our rules/habits.
1. a co-pilot stays awake with driver
2. Leave after work a day early to knock off a few miles. I was too cheap for years, but this helps us get in gear mentally as well as dividing up the drive some more.
3. Guess at rush hours and avoid them.
4, 500 miles is now our usual. 800 is doable, but painful
best wishes for a grand trip

Jessie
08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
After a second episode we were made painfully aware recently that my 17mo old now gets car sick. Yay. So, with that I have decided to do night driving for sure. That way he can sleep most of the time and we will avoid some of the heavier traffic. Our goal I to make it to northern va on the first go. I managed to find a days inn that will do a day only booking and we go two rooms so that I can sleep and the kids can play with dh.:thumbsup:

AllDisney
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Having lived in Massachusetts for years, if I was the only driver, drive to the DC first day. Second day to Savannah and 3rd day plan on arriving to resort around noon.

Have a great & safe trip:mickey:

Tink#64
08-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Our drive to WDW is about 14.5 hours and we always split into two days, pushing for 10 hours the first day (= about 11 hours with fuel, food & potty breaks), find an inexpensive decent hotel along the interstate & leaves us with no more than 5 hours the 2nd day so we can arrive close to lunch time & still enjoy arrival day. We too are big fans of the dual dvd players! Ours only play one movie on both screens but DS's only a year & a half apart in age, so they can generally take turns in the movie choosing & it works for us. They listen to the movies via headphones & DH & I put the stereo speakers to the front of the van so we can jam to whatever music WE choose! DS's always pack a box (shoebox size) of movies to watch on the road, this year I let them each get one new movie before the trip & we even have done Redbox or Netflix to add to their viewing list! They also pack IPods & I pack lots of travel snacks, & we love to take pics along the way, we usually enjoy our road trips! DS's are usually quite content, it's always me wondering if we're almost there! :blush:

bertasso59
08-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Ive driven from NY several times,usually with two drivers and 15 & 8 hour days,I agree with leaving early ,around 3am.By all means the one area to avoid is the beltway around Washington DC at both rush hours.Absolute standstill on weekdays.