PDA

View Full Version : proof needed for under 3?

the real Alice
08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
We are taking our 2 yr old son in Dec. He will be almost 3 by then. Will we need a copy of his birth certificate to get him into the parks for free?

VWL Mom
08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Both my boys were big kids. I always took a copy of their birth certificate just in case anyone questioned it. I was only asked once and was glad I had it with me.

Wrigley
08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Our DD turned 3 during our last trip, and I took a copy of her birth certificate just in case. I was never asked to show it, but was glad to have it with just in case.

JenniferS.
08-02-2011, 04:55 PM
I never bring the birth certificate and I have never been questioned.

brownie
08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
We were never questioned when our boys were under 3.

gerald72
08-02-2011, 05:11 PM
How does the birth certificate prove anything? How do you prove it's the right kid?
Just wondering.

Strmchsr
08-02-2011, 05:34 PM
How does the birth certificate prove anything? How do you prove it's the right kid?
Just wondering.

I suppose if someone is so desperate to save a few bucks that they would drum up a fake birth certificate they're not going to challenge you on it.

As to the OP's question - both my boys are quite tall. I carried the birth certificate and was asked once on both of them when each was two. So, I would say if your kids look older, have it just in case. You probably won't be asked, and I'm not sure they would make a big fuss if you didn't have it, but it's better to be safe.

DonaldsBFF
08-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I wanted to add a question related to this thread and see if anyone knows the answer: I read somewhere on this board that if your child is still 2 when the trip starts but turns 3 during the trip they are still considered the age they were at the start of the trip for ticket and meal plan purposes. Is this true? We are planning on going on a trip in Jan. 2013 right before my son turns 3 and may be there when he turns.

Strmchsr
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I read somewhere on this board that if your child is still 2 when the trip starts but turns 3 during the trip they are still considered the age they were at the start of the trip for ticket and meal plan purposes. Is this true?

You are correct. The age at check-in stays for the entire trip. So, they won't start charging you mid-way through the trip.

cer
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I wanted to add a question related to this thread and see if anyone knows the answer: I read somewhere on this board that if your child is still 2 when the trip starts but turns 3 during the trip they are still considered the age they were at the start of the trip for ticket and meal plan purposes. Is this true? We are planning on going on a trip in Jan. 2013 right before my son turns 3 and may be there when he turns.

True. They go by the age at the start of the trip.

DizneyRox
08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Check with your airline for whatever proof they need. Usually lap babies need proof of eligibility, if you buy then a ticket, it may be a different story.

MizMissy
08-02-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't have an answer to your question and this is a bit off-topic but it reminded me of a funny story.
We were on a beach vacation heading to a water park and the entrance fee was free for children under 3. My son wasn't yet 3 and my daughter was 5. He has speech delay, she came out of the womb speaking in full sentences. However, my son was very big for his age (and still is), about as big as his sister and she was above average sized for her age. I told my DH that the park people would probably not believe us saying he was under 3 and we didn't have proof. He leaned over the seat and asked DD, "How old is your brother?" As quick as a minute, she pipes up "He's 2 1/2, well, he'll actually be three on July 24th!" I had to laugh. We weren't trying to cheat the system, but no way we could have cheated with little Miss Know-it-all on board!

Disney Doll
08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
I have never been asked to show proof of age at WDW. Last year my son was about a month shy of his 3rd birthday so based on looks alone I wouldn't have been surprised if someone had mistaken him for an older child. Nobody ever gave us a second look.

nfrustaci
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
i have never been questioned..... we will be there in oct and he will be turning 3 the day we arrive. we were charged for him. but he is petite and probably would not have been questioned if i wasn't honest about it.

dinahvixen
08-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Funny enough, our dd was 3 1/2 when we went this June and half the time the gate attendant must have assumed she was under three, b/c they usually swept us through the stroller entrance without expecting us to have a ticket. They sometimes looked surprised when I gave them her ticket after they opened the stroller gate for us.

jonahbear2006
08-06-2011, 01:21 PM
My children are all small for their age so when we took our son at barely 3 they didnt even question us. We never needed a birth certificate and i never even considered bringing one anyways, so I guess thats a good thing. I remember back to the first trip when I sold DH on going right away bc I wanted to, quote, "get it over with before our son turned 3," and he is now 7 and we go 2-3x a year. haha. I have to say though that I think the 3 year old age for a ticket is a good age to start charging. the 3 year old gets A LOT out of the parks, compared to a 2 year old. I dont necessarily feel the same way about making a 10 yr old an adult for food, but thats a whole diff. topic.

January-2007
08-06-2011, 05:45 PM
When we go in January DS will only have just turned 2 a few months earlier so I don't think we'll bother bringing his Birth Certificate, being so far from 3 years old. Do they ask you at the meals too about the age thing? I'm sure they must if it's a buffet and the child is free...?