PDA

View Full Version : Cheerleading compitions

DonnaT103
08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
How do you find out when there are cheerleader compitions going one and where the teams will be staying. We went to DW in February 2011 and it was the worst trip we had ever had.:mad: We go to DW anually. This was the first time we stayed at a value resort. The place was over run with cheerleaders and they where absolutely horrid. :confused: 95% of these little horrors where snobby, rude and very pushy. And I am sorry to say they're coaches/chaperons where no better. :angry: We saw them just take what they wanted with out asking, (ie chairs from other tables) pushing others out of thier way, to the point that one small child almost had scalding water spilt on them when the parent was shoved out of the way by one of these horrors. :down: They blocked the hallway in the main building at the encouragement of the coaches. :rant: I can't believe Disney let this type of behavour insue, :confused: but I guess it was the all mighty dollar speaking not the Magic for other guests. I would very much like to avoid them this year and have the relaxing magical vacation I am used to. Is there any where I can go to find out what the cheerleading schedual might be?

disneymom15
08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Which value did you stay at? We were there 2 years ago and stayed at Pop Century and had no issues at all. We really only encountered 1 group that was overly snotty at the parks.

Buttercup
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
We stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort the first week of February this year and there were a number of cheerleading groups there. Didn't really have any issues with them at all. They practiced in the courtyards sometimes, but that's about all we heard of them the whole time.
However other times, in late March/early April we have stayed at the Values (ASMusic comes to mind) and they were loud and a little pushy. So I think it just depends on the groups themselves. You can't lump them all into the terrible category... just some of them! :thedolls:

Strmchsr
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
If you look on the Disney's Wide World of Sports website it keeps a schedule of events.

I understand your frustration. I ran into a few of those type of groups last Feb, too. But not all of them were bad. Any time you get a group together, no matter who they are or where they are from, you'll get some bad ones. Sometimes "group think" happens where they think they own the place and can do whatever they want. But, some are very nice and courteous too. You can't lump them all together. But, again, look at the calendar for dates and try not stay at the All-Stars or POR during those times and you'll have better luck.

yourmagicalguide
08-01-2011, 03:00 PM
When DH and I went to WDW in early March of 2009, we encountered some snobby cheerleading groups at our resort (CBR) and at the parks (especially Hollywood Studios). It seemed to get better by the end of the week, but it was also during Spring Break season, so other groups of teens were everywhere without supervision :shake:

According to the NHSCC website, the scheduled competition dates for 2012 are February 11th & 12th. This is confusing to me since I saw tons of cheerleading groups in March, so they must have been there for something else other than the national competition. I've seen the cheerleaders stay at both the value and moderate resorts, so there's really no escaping them resort-wise unless you pay for more expensive accommodations.

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience and how they basically ruined your last trip :( There are some really nice, well-mannered cheer groups out there, but it's the rude and mean girls that give them all a bad name. I would just suggest maybe going to WDW at the end of January or the very first week of February to possibly avoid them.

Best wishes :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I would just suggest maybe going to WDW at the end of January or the very first week of February to possibly avoid them.

I was there this year during that time and a large number of the cheerleading groups started arriving around Jan 31/Feb 1. However, they were almost completely South American groups. I don't know if there were arriving for a separate competition or just coming early for vacation before the other one, but they were out in force. Same as with all other groups - some were well behaved and no problems, some not so much.

Disney Doll
08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I have seen these groups all through Jan, Feb, and March. They have cheer teams for HS, cheer teams for college, pom squads, dance teams, etc. They all have separate competitions it seems. Check with Wide World of Sports.

DonnaT103
08-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I do realize that not all cheerleaders are [like those] :mad: we met up with. We had seen them before a CBR, but they seemed to be mostly in family groups. We where at ASM in February this year. I am going to check out the Wide World of Sports schedual. Thanks again.