PDA

View Full Version : por vs pofq

snowblack
08-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Has any one stayed at both. my sister wants to stay at por, and I want to stay at pofq. I looked at the pictures of the pools at pofq they look like so much fun for the kids. any feed back would be great.:mickey:

Strmchsr
08-01-2011, 09:55 AM
POFQ is smaller, has a more "romantic" kind of feel to it. I think it's a lot more fun for adults, though some parents with younger kids like it because the walking isn't as bad as some resorts. I think POR is a lot better for kids, but it has more things to do at the resort. They're pretty similar in a lot of ways. It often comes down to wanting an "old south" feel or a New Orleans feel. Also, POR has the trundle bed which lets you sleep 5 in a room, which POFQ does not.

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2011, 10:53 AM
We have stayed at both. I did not like POR at all. I didn't like the themeing, didn't like the room decor (worst room decor I've seen anywhere--like an old, dirty camp if you ask me), I just didn't like much about it at all. However, we love, love, loved POFQ. It was so small and quiet. The room decor was better, and the size of the resort made it so easy to get anywhere you want to go.

However, if its the pool you are concerned with my kids, ages 11 and 9, liked the pool at POR over the pool at POFQ, hands down! The pool at FQ looks cool, but the slide is not long or fast, and my boys love a good slide. When we stayed at FQ we actually drove over to Riverside for the boys to use that pool because they thought the pool at FQ was "lame". If your kids are young it might be a great pool and slide for them, but if they are my kids ages I think they'll much prefer the pool over at Riverside.

The good thing is you can use both pools no matter which resort you stay at since they are considered "sister" resorts. The pool was the only complaint we had with FQ, and its now our favorite moderate resort, and we've stayed at all four!

Disney4us2
08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
We haven't had the pleasure of staying at POR, but we did stay at POFQ in April. I loved it there. Just the size of POR would keep me from staying there. I loved the queen beds at POFQ and the newly refurbished rooms. It even smelled new when we entered the room. The food court was adequate for our needs. DD loved the hand scooped ice cream cones... and they were only a snack credit on the ddp. The gift shop is smaller... but there are tons of places to buy gifts besides the resort. As for the pool, it was nice. DD and her friend liked it even though the slide is not the best. We went to Blizzard Beach and that satisfied their slide needs. As stated previously, you can use the pool at POR. Either way, I am sure you will have a great time.

Tinkerbella16
08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
I have stayed at both.. first at POR then the next year at POFQ. I reallllly loved POFQ so much more. Its smaller so no matter where your room is you are close to everything. I love the pool there. The atmosphere was so nice.. colorful and fun. It felt a lot less crowded there eventhough we go during a slow time but it felt like no was at FQ the entire time we were there. Both resorts are great.. the boat to DTD is great to get away from the busses. POFQ doesn't have a restaurant, just a foodcourt but that we did not mind at all. There is also only 1 busstop at FQ, where as POR has 4. Sometimes they share busses, but both times we went we only shared once! When they do share, FQ gets picked up and dropped off first which is nice. The rooms at POFQ were recently refurbished and now have queen beds which is nice. I saw some videos and they look so nice.

I would so go for POFQ.. I love the feel at that resort. I miss it so much! Our next trip we will be staying there again, I cant wait! :mickey:

darthmacho
08-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Stayed at POR last year, and spent time at both resorts. I thought POFQ had some good features, but I felt POR was better overall.

POR: Country mansion or rustic cabin themed rooms, both of which I liked. Old Man Island is a great pool with a great slide. Riverside Mill is a superb quick serve, and Boatwright's is a sit-down at which we had a one of our favorite meals of the trip. Horse and Buggy ride ($$). Boat to DD.

POFQ: Colorful urban theme. Pool with Dragon slide was cool. Food court was decent. No sit-down. Boat to DD is a little shorter.

Hope that helps?

brownie
08-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I looked at the pictures of the pools at pofq they look like so much fun for the kids.

There's only one pool at Port Orleans French Quarter, although you can use the main pool at Port Orleans Riverside if you are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter.

With kids, I'd probably opt for Port Orleans Riverside. It's bigger and we liked the food court better. Since it's bigger, you'll probably be doing more walking around the resort.

HoosierDisneyFan
08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
We have stayed at both and both were great.

We prefer POFQ because of the smaller size (less walking after a long day at the parks) and that "generally" if the 2 resort share a bus you get picked up first and and dropped off first (though this is not true 100% of the time).

POR does have a bigger store, bigger pool, bigger hot tub, bigger arcade, etc (but more people).

My advice is if you are at the parks most of the time, POFQ is a better selection but if you are looking for resort activities, POR would be your best bet. Keep in mind that both resort are a short 10 min walk apart and you can share the services of both.

You will enjoy regardless of you selection.

texas211
08-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Hands down POR. Nicer, better feel, and more amenities. The rooms i felt were bigger. I like the alligator side more. Also, cane pole fishin is fun for many, which is available at POR. The resort is larger, but not a bad walk. Very comfortable, quiet, and relaxing. Never knew there were hundreds of other folks around. Plus i like how each area has its own smaller, basic pool for convenient short swims, and not usually very busy at all.

WDWCrazyKaren
08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Without kids, hands down, POFQ. With kids however, I'd say POR would win. The food court has more options, it's a HUGE resort with all kinds of things to do. The pool is great, and even the quiet pools are nice. Gift shop and arcades are bigger.

POFQ is for those who like things on the quiet and slower side (like us!) and POR is for families and a lot of running around.

garymacd
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
We have stayed at both and love both. The edge for us goes to POFQ for the size and theming.

Aligator Bayou area of Riverside is a bit rustic and the gardens reflect that. The Mansions are more formal again with the gardens and buildings reflecting the old plantation houses of the old south, but a further walk from the main building. They are also near the last two bus stops.

POFQ has that easy, breezy feeling of the French Quarter in New Orleans with jazz music playing in the background and a Mardi Gras feeling throughout.

We love POFQ for the size especially. It is easy to get around and only has one bus stop. And don't forget beignets. They are only available at Sassagoula Floatworks.

goofygirl67
08-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I've stayed at both this year and liked AB at POR. I stayed in AB first then the mansions. I liked the rustic look of AB. The mansions just felt like any other hotel room unless you saw the building itself, it just didn't feel any different. FQ is nice and quiet and I will be staying there in December but I prefere Riverside.

kevinsmom29
08-10-2011, 12:38 PM
We have stayed at both and love both. The edge for us goes to POFQ for the size and theming.

Aligator Bayou area of Riverside is a bit rustic and the gardens reflect that. The Mansions are more formal again with the gardens and buildings reflecting the old plantation houses of the old south, but a further walk from the main building. They are also near the last two bus stops.

POFQ has that easy, breezy feeling of the French Quarter in New Orleans with jazz music playing in the background and a Mardi Gras feeling throughout.

We love POFQ for the size especially. It is easy to get around and only has one bus stop. And don't forget beignets. They are only available at Sassagoula Floatworks.

i didnt know they have beignets there... i must get one of those!!!! :mickey:

tinksmom02
08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Here's another vote for POFQ. We've stayed at POR once but are headed back to POFQ for our 3rd visit this November. I love the cozy feel of the resort, and it always seems quiet.

DD loves the pool and I think my little niece and nephew will enjoy POFQ's pool more than POR. DD and I both agree that the slide is better (faster, more exciting) at POR (they're sister resorts so you can pool-hop), but because it's faster and higher, that means more stairs. I wasn't comfortable having DD get up there by herself at the time we were there. Didn't feel the same way at POFQ.

POR itself is too large for my taste. Yes, there's more to do there, but it's only a 10-minute walk or boar ride and you can do those things, too...fishing, horse and buggy rides, visiting Bob Jackson...

garymacd
08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
i didnt know they have beignets there... i must get one of those!!!! :mickey:

ONE???

Try six!

Then go have a shower to wash off all the icing sugar!

:cloud9: