PDA

View Full Version : Best Rolling Duffel?

MPoppins
07-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm going to try to cut down on what I pack for trips to Disney...try is the operative word there. :blush: I'm looking for the opinions of fellow Intercotees concerning rolling duffels. I'm considering LL Bean's XL Rolling Adventure bag. Any thoughts/reviews/opinions would be appreciated! Thanks! :mickey:

BrerGnat
07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
We LOVE our rolling duffel. We got ours at Costco, and it's not the brand you're looking at, but it was cheap. I think we paid $60 for it and it holds everything our family of four needs for a 3 day vacation! We used it along with a large suitcase when we went to WDW for a week last year and it was great.

While I can't comment on the particular one you are looking at, I believe ours is brand "IT". Ful is another brand sold at Costco for a low price.

If I can make a recommendation, find a duffel bag with a separate shoe compartment as well as a compartment for "wet" items. Both of these really make our duffel bag multi-purpose.

BraddyB
07-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Another option is the High Sierra rolling duffel. I have been checking out their luggage and they seem well made.

E-OR
07-31-2011, 11:42 PM
I am another fan of the rolling duffel bag from Costco. We bought one a few years ago and love it. It did not cost a fortune but has been one of the best pieces of luggage we have.

MinnieMommie
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
We have been traveling a lot lately and DH wanted me to have something sturdy (and my old beat up luggage has been the brunt of many family jokes). I refuse to check in luggage and only want carry on sizes.

DH bought me two Vera Bradley pieces. One is the weekender and the other is the 22 inch rolling duffel. They are both carry on size and both hold quite a bit.

Vera also makes a larger version of the rolling duffel. I have the highest recommendation for Vera's rolling duffel. Holds a ton, is very sturdy and has a great collapsible handle.

MPoppins
08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Many thanks to everyone who replied! I have several options to consider now. :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I guess I am the exception. We bought a rolling duffel a few years back and it didn't work out for us. I don't know if it is just because the sides are not rigid like luggage but when we rolled it all of the things would slide to the bottom and get jumbled up. Maybe we didn't pack it tight enough???? I also didn't like that the opening was not as wide as my luggage opening is. I like opening the luggage and being able to see everything that is in there.We don't use it anymore.

BrerGnat
08-03-2011, 09:02 AM
I guess I am the exception. We bought a rolling duffel a few years back and it didn't work out for us. I don't know if it is just because the sides are not rigid like luggage but when we rolled it all of the things would slide to the bottom and get jumbled up. Maybe we didn't pack it tight enough???? I also didn't like that the opening was not as wide as my luggage opening is. I like opening the luggage and being able to see everything that is in there.We don't use it anymore.

Yeah, you didn't pack it tight enough. I will say, if you use a rolling duffel, you have to be a really neat packer. You need to fold the clothes and stack them nicely, and then basically jam them in next to each other in piles so that all available space is filled in.

Personally, we like to use the duffel for stuff like undergarments, socks, shoes, pj's, swimwear, toiletries, hair appliances etc. We stick to the suitcase for our "nice" clothing because the stuff in the duffel does get jumbled around if you check it on a plane. However, we like that the irregular shape and soft sides of the duffel accommodate all our oddly shaped items well. It's easy to fill in all the available space when you are working with smaller items.

They don't work for everyone, but if you can find a way to make them work for you, they are a lot easier to use than hard side suitcases.

cer
08-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm going to try to cut down on what I pack for trips to Disney...try is the operative word there. :blush: I'm looking for the opinions of fellow Intercotees concerning rolling duffels. I'm considering LL Bean's XL Rolling Adventure bag. Any thoughts/reviews/opinions would be appreciated! Thanks! :mickey:

While I don't have the rolling bag, just a comment on the LLBean bags - We love ours. We have the small for each family member and one of the mediums (not rolling). So very pleased with them.