PDA

View Full Version : snake!

disney obsessed
07-30-2011, 03:14 PM
We just had a snake in the yard. I know they are there all the time but If its out of sight, its out of mind to me. We have a new puppy and we need to take her out on a regular basis. I don't want to. Me knees are weak and I feel nausous. I have always had a fear of snakes and this was a big deffensive one.

Any ideas?

Disneyfun
07-30-2011, 04:23 PM
"Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?" Indiana Jones - sorry, had to do it!
First of all, what color was it? What did it do when you saw it?

Most snakes are very afraid of humans and will take off if they see you. However, if they are cornered and feel threatened, then they might strike. I know, that is doing wonders for your fear of snakes. :}

The good thing is that most snakes are non-venomous and are more interested in rats and lizards than humans and puppies. What you saw was probably a large black snake or rat snake. Both of those are very good to have as they do keep the vermin population in check.

Here is what I would recommend - keep your grass cut short and if you are really worried that a snake is out there, take your garden hose and spray down your back yard - this will startle the snake and make them scurry off with out you having to be any where near it!

Hope this helps!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-30-2011, 08:51 PM
I had one in my front yard when I was mowing the lawn a few years ago. I ran for the house and waited a while thinking it would go away. No such luck! So I chased it out with the lawn mower. Maybe the hose thing will work because making noise certainly didn't or it would have slithered away from the lawn mower!!! So I agree with the last poster saying keep the grass short so it's easier to see what's out there.

I had someone try to tell me we don't have any venomous snakes in MA. That is so not true.

azdisneymom
07-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I feel for you! I live in the heart of rattlesnake territory. Three years ago we had our kitchen counters replaced and I walked into our garage to show the installer the new sink. A snake crawled out from under my car and then right back when I yelled, well I should say screamed :eek:. DH and granite installer chased it out. I still pause when headed out to my car.

Puppies are curious creatures. I would take mine out on a leash.

wildernesslady
07-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I would have screamed so loud you would have heard me. I can take most creatures, but not snakes. Good luck with the puppy.

Mousemates
08-01-2011, 12:28 AM
I absolutely hate snakes...they creep me out and my automatic reaction to them is "the only good snake is a dead one"...but this is one of those times where I don't go with my gut reaction, but logic mingled with reality.

The truth is snakes are highly beneficial...and thus when I walked out my backdoor and saw a large (3-4 foot) corn snake (which looks quite similar to a copperhead) on the patio...instead of whacking and dispatching it with a garden rake....I moved it to the yard and now look a little more closely when I step outside....figuring its presence likely means I don't have any smaller poisonous snakes around.