PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Large Party - Where to Stay?

disneykidsince1970
07-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi Experts! I need some perspective! :mickey:

We will be going to Disney in April for four nights. We live out of the country and so, whenever we go, we host my husband's sister and family as well as my dad so everyone has a chance to see our kids. So, we are..

hubby and me
our 2 kids ages 5, 6

the sister-in-law/hubby
their two kids ages 11, 9

my elderly and frail father
my rockin' awsome sister who lives in Tampa.

Last year, we stayed at Saratoga Springs - grand villa via rented points. We were grossly underwhelmed (I think we happen to get a unit no one had stayed at in years). Because of our little ones, we all agreed that close proxmiity to MK would be great next year! And, you don't get closer than a Grand Villa at BLT. So.. we were all set to drop a ridiculous amount of money for 4 nights for the BLT grand villa. We like the villa b/c of all the extra together time that you get - we only see each other once/year for a few days, so it seems important!

And then, DH about choked on the bill and while he WILL agree if I push it, I thought...maybe there are other options?

We want the older kids to have fun stuff to do - and all kids will value a really cool pool. My dad moves painfully slow and won't really join us in the parks at all - so, the time in the room with the kids is really important for him - but, he really needs his own space.

We want to be close to MK, esp as our kids are young, not used to the heat, etc. - but my husband half-joked that for the money we are spending on the Grand Villa, we could prob get a private driver for the 4 days!

Now, I am wondering if I shouldn't pick the All Star with the best pool and get 5 adjoinging rooms?

I need ideas/suggestions/comments!

thanks everyone!!

Strmchsr
07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
That's a tough call. It sounds like you will be making use of the pool and room, but, honestly, you could probably stay at WL or AKL for a LOT less. And values would be even less and they have very cool pools. The kids will probably enjoy the All-Stars the most at that age because of all of the cool stuff. And, while being at BLT is neat because of the proximity to MK, the buses are right there and it doesn't take that long to get to any of the resorts. Maybe you could take the extra money and use it to do a really special event, like a fireworks cruise or something? Personally, I've always enjoyed the value resorts and think they feel the most "Disney" of all the resorts.

Pirate Granny
07-29-2011, 05:56 PM
We stayed at OKW in a GV, and although space was important, we didn't spend much "awake" time in the Villa. BUT if your Dad is not mobile, I would get somewhere he could sit on the deck and enjoy...I too rented my points and at $7,000 for OKW, I could never, ever justify $14,000 for BLT. We now own points, but I think one night at BLT is all I could ever pop for. You will never get five connecting rooms together, they will only promise same bldg. We had a disappointing rooms at POFQ and I had to really push, just to get us (4 rooms that trip) on the same floor. SO...if Dear old Dad won't be going to the Parks...I myself would pick AKL or OKW, just for Dad...kids won't care about location...it's Disney. There are no GV at Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club (which by the way has the best pool by far). I'm not a fan of Boardwalk...and I don't think you would fit two families of 4 in each of the bedrooms at the tree houses. have you considered one studio for Dad and Sis and a 2 bedroom for the two families...Dad could still visit, but could also have his OWN space without the noise of kids...that would open up both Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge options. I wouldn't do the hotel rooms only cause you can't visit like you would want to. good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

LVT
07-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Maybe the All star family suites x2. About $600 per night. That would get you a lot of space.

disneykidsince1970
07-30-2011, 02:04 PM
thanks everyone - so far, all good ideas I hadn't considered yet - the 2 bedroom villa plus a studio or regular room for my dad/sis. OR... the family suites - a friend recently told us about too - but I can't find any pix of these.. any suggestions on where I might see a floorplan or something of the family suite? Thanks again everyone!!

Mousemates
07-30-2011, 03:26 PM
WL over BLT

less money

still good access to MK (water taxis are awesome way to begin and end the day).

wonderfully relaxing pool area that kids love too

good onsite dining for family

AuntLaura
07-30-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't know what your budget is, but check out the cabins at Fort Wilderness. Each one is like a single wide trailer and sleeps 6. The bedroom has bunk beds and a double bed. The living room has a Murphy pull down. You could rent 2 cabins - your sister could have a Murphy bed as could your dad in the other cabin, with each family of 4 in the bedroom. We really like staying there. Boat ride to MK. Not sure how frail your dad is. They have golf carts for rent there. Have to walk to bus stop and take buses throughout FW to get places. Not a lot of storage for suitcases in the bedroom. We love it, however. You have your own kitchen. Mousekeeping service. Open spaces, trees, birds, friendly people. If your dad could drive the golf cart ( and the price was right - they are expensive) he could amuse himself by riding around looking at the campsites and down to the beach watching the boats and people during the day while you're at the parks.

joonyer
07-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Try looking at a house. You can generally rent a very nice house with a pool for much less than the cost of a deluxe on-site resort. Check out All-Star Vacation Homes (Intercot Sponsor). It's worth a look. You'll be surprised at what you can get for your money. Even with a rental car/van.

disneykidsince1970
07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
We did stay at the cabins about 2 years ago with another leg of the family.. we enjoyed it a lot and that communal time was great - but... as you say, we would need 2 of them and so.. the communal time is down.. I thought about the treehouse (I have never stayed there) but .. then get pulled back into my desire to be close to the park.. argh!! it is so difficult to decide!!

I am now looking for the best pool near to MK - with adjoining rooms or the 2B villa with nearby room for Dad..

anyone have experience with the suites in the wing of the Contemp? I stayed there in the ealry 70s when I was very young.... and remember it being very fun - wonder what kind of condition they are in now? anyone know?

Janmac
07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
While I don't have info on BLT, I can tell you some about Wilderness Lodge. Two of our grandchildren were 5 and 6 when we stayed at WL and loved the pool. The 6 year old is now 20 and still says that pool is his favorite, and he's stayed at the Yacht Club (Stormalong Bay) since then.

We had 3 rooms at that time, and were looking for a place larger than any of the rooms to have our Christmas - opening gifts before we all left for our respective homes. We found a great little nook on the floor our rooms were on (at this point I do not recall which floor we were on), over looking the wonderful lobby but out of the way. We did not feel we were on display at all. Had a great time. Hardly had anyone noticed us.

On our last visit to WDW (January 2010) we stayed in a dedicated 2 Bedroom Villa at WL (3rd floor). The bedrooms are plenty large enough, altho the living room was a bit small for our group of 6.

However there are at least two rooms downstairs off the lobby that were seldom (never?) used the week we were there.

The main lobby of WL has wonderful rocking chairs. DH felt he could spend his entire week there, visiting with whomever happened to sit near, and people watching.

Wilderness Lodge also has Junior Suites - I don't know the pricing on them. It might be something to look into.

Jan

nfrustaci
08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
the wilderness lodge is beautiful and the villas are so very pretty. the water taxi will take you to mk in about 10 min. from getting on the boat to walking up to the front gate of mk. and just a thought did u ever consider getting a battery operated scooter for your dad ? it lasts all day in the parks and you charge it while u r sleeping. (rentals from outside the park) they also have them for daily rentals at the parks. they also have wheel chairs for rent too. just a thought. maybe one day in the park for him would be nice.