PDA

View Full Version : AKL in 13 Days!

wdwvacationeer
07-28-2011, 06:52 PM
We will be staying for the first time at the AKL from 8/10-8/17 and are ridiculously excited! I have a few questions:

I did not request any area. Should I have? How is The Mara? We are planning on spending more time at the hotel than usual because I have heard so many wonderful things about it! Any suggestions? Also, my kids are bringing their I pods. Do the alarm clocks have IPod dockers on them? Or should they just bring their wall chargers?

disneymomma2010
07-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Im excited for you! I really would love to stay there. I hope you enjoy your stay!

disneymom15
07-28-2011, 10:39 PM
We stayed at AKL Jambo House last Dec. It's a beautiful resort. The Mara was very good, we also ate at Boma twice for breakfast (nice buffet). The alarm clock in our room did have an iPod dock. Enjoy your stay.

FutureCorpsFan
07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Congrats, you'll love it. One think you take with you is the smell of wood fire. It burns constantly through the Jambo House lobby. When you leave Disney, and whenever you smell wood fire again, it will always remind you of AKL!

We we stayed we got a savannah view. For conveneince, request something close to the lobby, but really, any room is fine. The Mara is great and has a good slection of fare. We stayed there in November so nights were finished with a cup of hot chocolate and cookie!

BugeyedMuggy
07-29-2011, 06:51 PM
We have been twice and this is our favorite resort if you want to spend time at a resort. We paid for a standard view and were upgraded to a pool view once and a savana view the next. You are going at a good time to perhaps get an upgrade but they are not something to expect. If you don't have a savana view you will be able to see the animals from the hallways and viewing areas. For the price of a savana view I would suggest saving the $$$. The pool is one of the best on property and you can go to Kadani and use their pool and kids water area also. The hot tubs are very secluded unlike most disney hotels. Storytime around the firepit at nite and the nite vision goggles are fun. You also get an animal check-list that generates alot of family fun. Enjoy and relax :cloud9:

snowflakegirl
07-29-2011, 08:10 PM
My boyfriend and I stayed at AKL last August and absolutely fell in love. We considered booking a return trip just to hang out at the hotel! We'll definitely book more hotel time the next trip just because of how comfortable we were there. The pool area is great and like a previous poster said the hot tubs are much more secluded than at other resorts. We spent a quiet evening chatting with two other couples in the hot tub one day after the parks. Mara is great! I got breakfast there most mornings and brought it back to the room to eat on our balcony (we had been upgraded to a savannah view). We only had dinner there once, but we thought it was good. We also took advantage of their grab and go area a few times and picked up a bottle of wine to keep in the room. Hanging out in the lobby was also nice. It's such a gorgeous lobby. And I definitely recommend a meal at Boma if you can work it in. I haven't had breakfast there (although it smelled incredible), but dinner was great! One of my favorite meals on property.

Enjoy your trip!!

sixshot19
07-29-2011, 09:23 PM
AKL, is my favourite resort, have fun.

The stew bread bowl at Mara is awesome...