PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere to watch football at the Contemporary?

egospotter
07-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Well with the NFL lockout over the schedule is out. My husband is a Packers fan and I am a die-hard Bears fan. Well wouldn't you know it, the first Bears/Packers game is the second day of our vacation!

We have 5:30pm reservations at Chef Mickey's and the game is at 2:15pm. Is there somewhere at the Contemporary to catch the game? I know there used to be the Outer Rim Lounge, but that's gone now correct?

Go Bears! (Had to do it.)

KylesMom
07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Actually, Outer Rim is still up and running, just in a smaller area where it used to be. The problem you may run into is that from what we've noticed the Disney hotel lounges don't open up until 4:30 or thereabouts. Hmmm, this may be a problem for you if you're trying to keep close to CR. Hopefully someone can brainstorm through this & let you know where you can catch a good portion of the game before your ressie.

And I'll second your sentiment - Go Bears! (I couldn't help myself either :D .)

faline
07-27-2011, 06:59 PM
As noted the Outer Rim is still there. Also as noted, the lounges tend to open later in the afternoon than your game time. I believe the pool bars might have tvs and they are open much earlier in the day. You could try there.

faline
07-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Another thought..you might try The Wave at the Contemporary. They have a bar and that restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

BigRedDad
07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
the game is at 2:15pm.

You may want to check the time of the game again. There are no NFL games that start at 2:15PM on a Sunday. The game is at 4:15PM est. Just don't want you to miss it.

egospotter
07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Lol, yeah I realized that I subtracted an hour instead of adding one :) thanks for all the sugestions!

Scar
07-27-2011, 10:25 PM
You have a potential problem. Tampa Bay plays the same time that week on FOX. I would guess the Orlando area would show that game. You may have to go to the ESPN Club.

ginger19
07-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Is there any chance you can do an earlier reservation and then get the second half of the game? I'm running into this on thanksgiving where DH's game is at 4:15.
I'm thinking you may have to hit ESPN as well in order to catch it as the local fox affiliate is likely to carry the local game.

RBrooksC
07-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Yes, you won't find an out of town NFL game anywhere in Disney but the ESPN Club or some place like that.

The resort bars are not equipped for a NFL weekend.

Scar
07-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes, you won't find an out of town NFL game anywhere in Disney but the ESPN Club or some place like that.Well... that's only true during the time slot of the local game. There’s always at least 1 other game (in the other time slot on the other network,) usually 2 (if the local team is playing at 1:00,) and sometimes 3 (if the local team is playing at night or on another day.)

ETA: One more thing. If the home team doesn't sell out (ie. Jacksonville,) the game is blacked out and all bets are off. I think the NFL can waive that, but they rarlely do.

RBrooksC
07-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Well... that's only true during the time slot of the local game. There’s always at least 1 other game (in the other time slot on the other network,) usually 2 (if the local team is playing at 1:00,) and sometimes 3 (if the local team is playing at night or on another day.)

ETA: One more thing. If the home team doesn't sell out (ie. Jacksonville,) the game is blacked out and all bets are off. I think the NFL can waive that, but they rarlely do.

This is true but to be able to see "your" team, one would have to go to someplace like the ESPN Club that would have Sunday Ticket to show all the games. One is still subject to NFL rules on primary team and secondary team. Here in Baltimore, we watch the Ravens and the NFL forces The Redskins onto us because we are considered the Redskins secondary market.

Scar
07-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Right, although Packers and Cowboys fans are usually the lucky ones if there's an open slot. I didn't know about the "secondary team." In the NY market we have 2 primary. When there is a free slot for FOX, it's very often the Packers or Cowboys

spoiledraf
07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Last visit to ESPN we were talking to the CM and she said they start lining up at 10 am for NFL games. Don't plan on showing up 15 minutes before game time and expect to get a table by kick-off. Just sayin