PDA

View Full Version : All Star Sports:Opinions

TinksGoofyMom
07-27-2011, 09:07 AM
We have booked 2 rooms at All Star Sports for the week after Thanksgiving. I have not seen many posts regarding people's experiences there. Please give me the good and bad so that I know what we're in for. Our previous stays have been at AKL, WL, and CBR. Thanks!

Mousemates
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
We enjoy the theming of the values and the costs. We especially enjoyed them when our children were smaller ...we would walk from area to area letting them play on/with the various theming elements and took lots of great pictures with the large iconic decorations.

The only draws backs are that the rooms are smaller and noise can be something of a factor (especially if your room is on the ground floor in a high traffic area OR if there are any team/group competitions (think cheerleaders) during your stay. However, for us the noise issues, even at their worst, weren't really much of a problem when it came to sleeping at night (we bring a little travel fan for white noise anyway), just during the day when we stopped by for an afternoon nap.

Hope you have a great stay.

iceicebritney
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Do you have any children? If so, I think they will enjoy ASS. I stayed there once in my teens and really enjoyed it. I was playing Tennis and Basketball at the time so I thought the oversize sports equipment on the buildings was just awesome. My best friend and I had a blast running around the resort doing photo-ops with the over sized equipment. We stayed in the Tennis building and it was a really nice and quiet area since it was away from the main building.

My husband and I stayed there also a few years ago in a King Room. It was great to have a King Bed on vacation instead of those two doubles.

There is also a McDonalds right down the street if your a fan.

Joeybun
07-27-2011, 05:15 PM
The only draws backs are that the rooms are smaller and noise can be something of a factor (especially if your room is on the ground floor in a high traffic area OR if there are any team/group competitions (think cheerleaders) during your stay.

This is a MAJOR problem IMO. I stayed at Sports in April 2010 in the preferred section. The first 2 nights were great! Peaceful, pleasant atmosphere. Sat out by the pool every morning. This drastically changed on the 3rd night.

Starting around 10 pm there were literally hundreds upon hundreds of teenagers, running, yelling, swimming, drinking, hanging out by the rooms, you name it. The noise level was absolutely outrageous. There were unsupervised teenagers everywhere...running up and down the outside corridors, on every chair at the pool, in the water. (literally there was NO extra space in that pool)

It was disturbing to say the least. The signs say quiet time starts at 10 pm, however, this is not enforced when the high school groups are there. That is exactly what the cast members told me. It really would be quite impossible I suppose, but for the sake of the other guests they should at least warn them that they are going to be in the middle of what amounts to a scene from Animal House. The next morning every chair was taken before I even got my coffee.

That next day we were moved over to the Caribbean Beach by management as a result of the noise. That should tell you how much of a problem it is.

I will say that I really did enjoy the resort before the group arrived. My advice is to call and find out if a group will be staying during your dates and, if so, by all means, go elsewhere!

Mickey'sGirl
07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
We love All Star Sports. We specifically like staying in the quiet "Hoops" section, and we like the food court and arcade very much. For us the size is now the drawback. The 4 of us do not fit in a smaller room with double beds very well now that the kids have grown.

SandmanGStefani24
07-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I loved the place!

I loved the theming, the staff was great, and the room was very clean. I always rent a car, so I did not try the transportation but the food hall was easily managable and never got out of hand.

The only real negative is with all value resorts. Noise insulation in the rooms is poor. You will know when the next room wakes up, leaves, and has the tv on. Take a white noise machine or earplugs and that will sove that. Also taking a top floor and staying away from poolside works well too.

Some of the areas are dated, like the poolside bar and the hall of photos. (im a sports nut, and judging by the photos the last redo of the resort must have been mid 90s) Either way, I loved it and if you aren't expecting a 5 star resort you should have a lot of fun!

DisneyMom12
07-28-2011, 08:08 AM
It was disturbing to say the least. The signs say quiet time starts at 10 pm, however, this is not enforced when the high school groups are there. That is exactly what the cast members told me.

I had an issue with that once, and it was taken care of right away by security.

I have been happy with all the All Star's.

EJS-Houston
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
We love All Star Sports. We specifically like staying in the quiet "Hoops" section, and we like the food court and arcade very much. For us the size is now the drawback. The 4 of us do not fit in a smaller room with double beds very well now that the kids have grown.

I've stayed twice in the Hoops section and found it to be perfectly quiet...in fact, my experience at All Star Sports was very positive. Talk to the reservations folks about where you might be placed so that you aren't disturbed by noisy kids and I'm sure they'll work with you.

sainter
07-29-2011, 11:12 AM
We have stayed at Sports a number of times and enjoy it.
I would request a room that does not face a pool.
Also of note is the fact that the buses pick up and drop off at Sports first (whenever the bus is being shared with the other All Stars).

DisneyorBust
07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
My DW and I stayed at the All Stars Sports in March of this year. It was our first time staying in a Value and we had read the pro's and con's and decided to go with an open mind and see for our selves.
Pro's
Cool theming
Very good Bus transportation as AS Sports is the first to be picked up and dropped us off first.
Food court, decent selection
King rooms
CM's were quite nice.

Con's

Noise, not horrible but when you are dealing with large numbers of teens you have to expect that. Wasn't noisy enough for us to need to call security.
King rooms! Couldn't book one, luck of the draw I guess.
Overall, we would stay there again. It was a nice stay.

waymickey
07-29-2011, 03:17 PM
pros:mickey:
fun theming
big pool
$$$ saved
variety of food

Cons::ill:
lots and lots of teens
loud nights by the pool
no overhang at bus stops( sounds picky but the hot sun can bake you waiting for the bus)

TexansInNY
07-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I personally enjoy ASP and still try to stay there every time but get overruled. We paid the extra for preferred room and was in surf section where the grassy treed courtyard is. I do not recall us having issues with noise but we are pretty easy going. First to board busses too so could always get a seat. We werethereduring Pop Warner too. Could have been luck. :cool:

TexansInNY
07-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Apologies it was not Pop Warner it was some big cheerleading comp. :blush:

DVC2004
07-30-2011, 10:32 AM
We stayed there last August and I was prepared to dislike it... but we liked it. We didn't seem to have any large groups stayig there at the time and didn't experience the loud pool. We stayed in the hoops section and were a short walk from the pool and lobby.
Didn't use the food court- there always looks like a million people no matter what time of day- but we went to the pool a few times and it was not crowded. My boys loved the sports theme. I don't think it's real different from any of the other values I've stayed at there but over all no complaints.

TinksGoofyMom
07-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks everybody! This info helps a lot. My husbands sleep apnea machine should block the noise. I sure can't here anything at home over it.
I'm hoping that large groups will be gone since we are going the week after thanksgiving & schools should be back in. My kids are 9 & 14 & my niece 8 so I think they'll love the theming. They''re all into sports. Thanks again & have fun on your next trips.

Belle1217
08-02-2011, 10:59 PM
We stayed in the AS Sports in 2006 and LOVED it. We did stay during pop warner week which is usally the 1st week in Dec. but we had no problems at all. Both cheerleaders and football players are there. But like I said we never had an issue. I think we also stayed in the hoops section. Rooms are small but since you are getting 2 rooms you should be fine. :mickey: