PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green and Transportation?

White Rose
07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Hello everyone!

Well, it looks like my family is actually going to be taking a trip to Disney World this year in January (the first one with all of us together in 10 years!) and we are going to be staying at the Shades of Green, as my father is a DOD employee. SOG looks absolutely gorgeous and we've booked a suite, even though it's only four of us because my sister and I can't stand to sleep in the same room as my parents and my sister and I require separate beds (really different sleeping habits). However, I will admit that because of my own trips in the past and because my parents did on previous trips...I am a Disney property snob. :blush:

I'm a little worried about the transportation situation at SOG, since there isn't a continuous bus system like on Disney property, but I have read that there seems to be easy access to the monorail because of the resort's distance to the Poly and there is a bus that leaves from SOG to the TTC. But...I'm still a little hesitant. I've been trying to talk my parents into staying on Disney property, but when I compare the costs to what we'll get at SOG...there's really no contest.

So, if any one has kind words to say about SOG and their transportation or can even offer alternative methods to allow us to stay on Disney property that don't include value resorts (as my mother absolutely refuses), they would be appreciated! :mickey:

frozman
07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Ah yes, I have some great things to say. Feel free to look at my signature. Shades of Green one year. Pop Century the next (my father is retired military). For the 2006 trip, Shades of Green was booked, we wanted to stay there, but ended up at the POP. I'm being completely honest when I say, the transportation was probably the thing I missed most about Shades of Green. There were times at POP where I would be in an extremely long Magic Kingdom line, an EPCOT bus would pull up and let the small number of people on, a Studios bus would pull up and let the small number of people on, another EPCOT bus would pull up and let the 2 people on that showed up in the last 3 minutes. Then finally a Magic Kingdom bus pulled up... and was too full for me to get on. Had to wait for a 2nd one.

At Shades of Green, I never had to wait for a 2nd bus, and I don't think the busses I were on were ever standing room only. The great thing about their busses is that they are scheduled, rather than the "every 10-15 minutes or so" with the Disney resorts. The TTC was either 30/00 past the hour or 15/30/45/00 past the hour, and then another bus to Animal Kingdom and Studios came either on the hour or 30/00 past the hour. What it means is that you can be in your room and enjoying yourself and then leave your room and time it so you get to the bus stop just before it leaves, (it sits and waits and lets people on until it's scheduled departure) so you won't be stuck standing in the Florida sun with no cover like I was at POP.
The Poly is within walking distance but it is a bet of a hike. It's faster to get on the bus and then get on the monorail at the TTC. You are also allowed to take any of Poly's busses if you wish, as I don't think there's a Downtown Disney Bus from either the TTC or SOG.
The SOG busses DO acknowledge the Extra Magic Hour which you will have access to, so you can be in the parks 3 hours late on those nights.

I really wish my dad was going on my upcoming trip so I could go to SOG, but it's a solo trip. Let me remind you that this is from 2005 so I don't know if anythings changed. Also, I am comparing SOG to the Value resort transportation. Many people claim that when it comes to resort transportation "you get what you pay for", so if you always stay in a Deluxe resort you may find it to be lacking, but I've never stayed in a deluxe so I can't comment.

T-Belle
07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
We just got back from a 7 night stay at SOG. This was the first time I was totally dependent on SOG transportation and I was a bit nervous. I agree completely with frozman. I now prefer their transportation to Disney's. When they say they will pick you up at AK at 10 min of the hour you know exactly when to get to the bus stop. The drivers were pleasant and informative.
Also, if you want to go to the Poly and don't want to walk just ask the the nice people at bell service(their stand is outside the front lobby) for the "Shady Shuttle". We did this several times and they were always so nice about it. Have fun!

wdwfansince75
07-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Again, another SoG fan...
The busses are great...and the TTC bus runs about every 20 minutes. Usual strategy for MK is to walk to Poly, and take the monorail...return trip is monorail or ferry to TTC, and then take the SoG bus. Also did boat to Poly, and walked to SoG...with DGD's 2 & 3.
AK and DHS busses leave once an hour, on the half hour...promptly.
Note that if the AK or DHS busses are too crowded, the TTC bus leaves at the same time...and there are Disney AK and DHS busses at TTC that (in my experience) are never crowded. ...and returning from those parks is easier by using the Disney busses to TTC...since the SoG busses only run once an hour.

Tigger's Mom
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Returned last week from another wonderful trip at SOG. No trouble with the buses. If we missed a bus at HS or AK, we'd take one to the TTC. We walked to the Poly a few times for trips to the MK and breakfast at Chef Mickey's or took the Shady Shuttle. We've mixed things up in the past as well and never had trouble. As others have said, you know what the bus schedule is and can plan accordingly. It's hard to beat the price for the accomodations! I hosted my sister and her family in another room and my dad too, they love the place and also had no issues with the buses. Relax and enjoy!! You'll have a great trip.

wdwfansince75
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I really wish my dad was going on my upcoming trip so I could go to SOG, but it's a solo trip. Let me remind you that this is from 2005 so I don't know if anythings changed. Also, I am comparing SOG to the Value resort transportation. Many people claim that when it comes to resort transportation "you get what you pay for", so if you always stay in a Deluxe resort you may find it to be lacking, but I've never stayed in a deluxe so I can't comment.[/QUOTE]

Frozman...Note that for September, 2011, and January 2012, anyone who has received an honorable discharge from any of the services is eligible to stay at SoG...so if you did serve, and do have a copy of your DD214, you could change your September trip to SoG...depending on eligibility and availability.

frozman
07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
No I haven't served. My dad, as retired military and my mom, as his spouse, are allowed to book rooms there, but they MUST be there at the same time as me, they can't just book something for me and send me on my way.

wdwfansince75
07-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I know their eligibility rules, and note that they always check the Military ID before they do any further check in....Just that I noticed your next trip is September, and that is one of two months, all honorably discharged veterans are also eligible...just for those months. Think our kids would go more often, if they could stay at SoG without dragging the old folks along!

azdisneymom
07-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I haven't stayed at SOG but have heard wonderful comments about the transportation and dining. Now if I could only talk my Marine son into going on a trip with me .... I could give some real advice. :blush: Have a good trip!