PDA

View Full Version : A deluxe hotel or a cabin for one night?

thesplashmountaineer
07-26-2011, 11:20 AM
We're going to the world in mid-august and be staying at pop century for 7 nights.

We might arrive one day earlier and we were thinking about staying for one night in a deluxe or a cabin just for the fun of it, without going to the parks for that day.

What would you choose, a deluxe or a cabin?

We just want to hang out to the pool or the beach and do all the activities the resort has to offer for that day.

we are a family of five, kids 12, 10 and 4.

thanks

SBETigg
07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I would choose a deluxe, probably the Polynesian or Beach Club for the excellent pools, shopping, and restaurants. But, if you want the room to spread out a bit and prefer outdoorsy activities, the cabin.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I would also choose a deluxe, probably the Beach Club as well, for the amazing pool, and the short walk to the Boardwalk for more fun.

However, if your kids love the outdoors, I'd go for the cabin, and spend the day exploring the campground and doing all of the activities it offers (and maybe dinner at Hoop-Dee-Doo).

btharvey
07-26-2011, 12:07 PM
I would choose a deluxe, only because staying in the cabins means enjoying the atmosphere, the beach, the trails, the pool, the movie, etc. Can't do all that in one night. Deluxe would be easier to get in and get out, I think.

It all depends on when you're allowed to check in and when you must check out. If you arrive late and leave early, just a deluxe. If you can arrive early and leave late, maybe you have enough time. Rent a cart for the day.

Just a thought.

CanadianWDWFan
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Another vote for the Deluxe route. Try a resort with a great pool like the Beach Club, AKL or Poly. If you plan on spending the entire day at the resort then you will want to make the most of your stay.

DisneyOtaku
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Another vote for the deluxe resort, and again, voting for either the Poly or the Beach. Great pool areas, great beach areas to lounge around...:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Deluxe....Beach Club for the pool...Polynesian for the beach and fireworks or Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View for the animals.....

buzznwoodysmom
07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I would go with a deluxe for the extra night. My family would pick either the Poly, Beach Club, or AKL as well. We have stayed at all three of these and enjoyed them all!

However, instead of adding a day to the beginning I would add the extra day to the end of the trip. To me it would be a huge let down to start off at one of those resorts then move to Pop Centry. Our family tends to start off with a bang in the parks, and by the end of the trip we are ready to take it easy and spend more time at the resort. For me having a night at my "dream resort" to look forward to during the trip, and ending on such a high note, and having that last day to just relax and enjoy some down time would be the perfect ending to a trip. Of course your family may be completely opposite of mine, it really depends on what your family likes! Either way enjoy your extra time in WDW!

AllDisney
07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
I would go with AKL. Pool is really nice. Once it gets dark you can see the animals at night with googles:thumbsup:

Boma would be a great place to have dinner:number1:

renecat
07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Since you want to enjoy the pool you may want to do the Beach club for storm along bay. Another option is the Poly it has a nice pool and then you can watch fireworks from the beach.

brownie
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
However, instead of adding a day to the beginning I would add the extra day to the end of the trip. To me it would be a huge let down to start off at one of those resorts then move to Pop Century.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd add a day to Pop Century if I was going to add it at the beginning but would really consider a deluxe resort if adding a day at the end of the trip.

iceicebritney
07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
You could pick a deluxe like Wilderness Lodge and then visit fort wilderness whenever you want. That gets my vote:mickey:

Mousemates
07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
My only concern with suggesting a stay at a deluxe resort would also be the slight potential for a bit of disappointment from the kids when you make the move from the deluxe resort to the value resort and go from two kids sharing a queen bed and one on the daybed to (i'm guessing?) four people in two fullsize bed with the littlest one on either a rollaway or air mattress. The step down from pools with a slide might also be a bit disappointing to them as well.

So from the option you mentioned I think I would go with a stay at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. The feel of that resort is very, very different from any other place at WDW and a move from its rustic setting to the wonderuflly fun theming of the value resorts (which used to rev our kids "disney motors" to the max) would be so different that the kids would not be as inclined to potentially view it as being something less than where they spent the 1st night.

A third option you might consider would be to just go ahead and add a day to your stay at the value and use the money saved to splurge on something you might not have otherwise done...say book a meal at Boma or Jikos and spend some time watching the animals at AKL or going to downtown disney and riding the balloon and then doing a round of minigolf at one of the disney courses.

Of course you know your kids and the "potential deluxe to value disappointment thing" might not be an issue for them at all. In the end whatever you do will likely be a great choice and I bet you guys have the time of your lives.