PDA

View Full Version : Disappointment with Art of Animation rooms

Disneymom4ever
07-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Hadn't really read too much about this resort, but today read on the Disney website that only the Little Mermaid section will have standard rooms. I have a family of 4, so a standard is just fine, and I'm disappointed that we can't choose what theme we would like to stay in. Why wouldn't they have a combination of rooms in each resort? Nothing against Little Mermaid, but it would have been fun to try the others as well, without paying hundreds of dollars! Thanks, just had to vent a little..

iceicebritney
07-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I must've missed this. That is a little alienating. I agree with you. I feel a lot of the decisions Disney has been making recently are rather prejudicial.

Maybe your family of four and my family of four can get together and then we can have our pick of the resort, haha!

big blue and hairy
07-24-2011, 08:57 PM
It makes things easier as far as construction and upkeep. The rooms are very themed, so replacement parts are most likely easier to have on hand this way.

:sulley:

nqi2
07-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I can understand splitting the buildings into different themes but why not just make them all family suites then.

My daughters love The Little Mermaid but we would like to be able to get a family suite.

So this does stink for us as well.

Pirate Granny
07-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Cause the one set of bldgs that were already there from years ago, will be the standard rooms. The new construction will be the family suites...and boy are they pricy...my daughter reserved one night, mid June for 2012 and with tax it's almost $300. ONE ROOM! family suite.

buzznwoodysmom
07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Well I guess we won't be trying this resort out! We have a family of 4 so no need for a family suite. For the price of the family suites we'd just as well stay somewhere else since we don't need that type of room. Having just boys means we will NEVER stay in a Little Mermaid room! We are pretty much done with the value resorts anyway, too loud, rooms too small, don't like the bus line set up. But we would have probably stayed there for one night (probably early arrival night) just to say we've stayed there. But maybe not....

wickedgin
07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
I agree--except I have a family of 5 and would have preferred The Little Mermaid over the others!
I felt the same way about the All-Star family suites. I'd pay the extra to have 2 bathrooms, but in Music? Ehhhh...

BigRedDad
07-25-2011, 07:50 AM
A lot of it has to do with existing construction and how WDW can make even more money. They charge an arm and leg for a Suite. I do not know why so many people ask for them when it is far cheaper to double the beds and bathrooms with 2 room reservations.

The good news is that no one needs to stay there. If you do not like what is available or the theme, choose another resort. If you have to be at AoA and a specific theme, you may have to pay a lot more for it.

Remember, WDW only makes decisions with $$$ signs in their eyes. There are no decisions made for the customers.

DisneyWFan
07-25-2011, 09:12 AM
A lot of it has to do with existing construction and how WDW can make even more money. They charge an arm and leg for a Suite. I do not know why so many people ask for them when it is far cheaper to double the beds and bathrooms with 2 room reservations.

A lot of families with young kids ask for these rooms because connecting rooms are not guaranteed also families that are on the dining plan like the suites because trying to keep track of dining credits between two rooms can be a nightmare. Plus there is a lot of misinformation about the suites only having one bathroom when in fact they have two the only difference is the beds ( a plus for getting two rooms) and the fridge and microwave ( a plus for the suites you have two pay for a smaller fridge and no microwave in a standard room)

and when this resort was first announced back in May it was clearly stated that this would be mainly family suites they even announced how the rooms would be set up by theme this hasn't changed and was no secret as it was posted by Disney

Disney Parks Blog Announces Disney’s Art of Animation Resort (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/05/disneys-art-of-animation-resort-unveiled/)

it also was shared here at
Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Announced! (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=170597&highlight=animation)

buzznwoodysmom
07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree--except I have a family of 5 and would have preferred The Little Mermaid over the others!
I felt the same way about the All-Star family suites. I'd pay the extra to have 2 bathrooms, but in Music? Ehhhh...

You could still stay in the Little Mermaid section with two standard rooms, and it would probably be cheaper!

DisneyOtaku
07-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Even if there were other options in the different themed areas, you might not get what you wanted. You can always request an area, but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Or at least, this is how I thought it worked.

crltkcagle
07-25-2011, 10:49 AM
I am disappointed with the price! I was hoping since it is considered "a value resort" it would be affordable. Boy was I wrong! Guess we will be sticking with POR since we are a family of 5.

DizneyRox
07-25-2011, 11:28 AM
This wouldn't be the first time Disney's definition of a word (like "value") was different than other's definition of the same word.

BrerGnat
07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Even if there were other options in the different themed areas, you might not get what you wanted. You can always request an area, but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Or at least, this is how I thought it worked.

No, for this resort, you will be able to book the specific theme you want, subject to availability of course.

DisneyOtaku
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
No, for this resort, you will be able to book the specific theme you want, subject to availability of course.

Ah, ok! I was not aware of that! Thank you for the info.

wickedgin
07-28-2011, 09:08 PM
You could still stay in the Little Mermaid section with two standard rooms, and it would probably be cheaper!

Good point. I think we are soon headed for connecting rooms--I do not have a lot of faith that POR will continue to sleep 5, so we're going to have to start exploring other options.

Jeri
07-29-2011, 10:23 AM
A lot of families with young kids ask for these rooms because connecting rooms are not guaranteed

I thought if you have more children then adults that Disney did give connecting rooms, it is the adjoining rooms that are not guaranteed.
I maybe wrong, but I thought that was true.:confused:

We will be traveling with 5 next time, but our youngest will be under 3, and we plan on getting 2 value rooms so the kids all have their own full size beds.
We will try for the Art of Animation resort but if not Pop Centrury it is.

sacandjac
07-31-2011, 09:07 AM
The suites are pricey. My friend looked into booking one for three adults and three children for six nights first week of June. She ended up getting seven nights and two rooms at Coronado springs for a couple of hundred cheaper.

nfrustaci
08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
The suites are pricey. My friend looked into booking one for three adults and three children for six nights first week of June. She ended up getting seven nights and two rooms at Coronado springs for a couple of hundred cheaper.

WOW !!! i love the value resorts... i find them to be fun. but if i had a bigger family then i would choose the coronado as well if it were cheeper. pop is by far my favorite... not sure why that is ?

wdwluv
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM
It's funny that you say you are feeling alienated with the room offerings at AoA, because I'VE been feeling alienated for years now, with so few choices for a family of 5! Not being jerky when I say this, just saying that I had never thought of anyone feeling this way in reverse - I have just been so thankful for another option coming soon. The deluxe accomodations for 5, are just not an option for us (sadly :-P) and though two rooms would be soooooooo much cheaper, we aren't willing to risk not getting adjoining rooms. We would only book 2 rooms if we were guaranteed it. (we are booked at ASMu Suite for Nov 2011, and could save nearly $1000 with my AP discount if we went for two rooms! Ugh!)