PDA

View Full Version : Very limited time offer - look now!

Imalismom
07-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Got this in email today

If you are shopping for airline tickets, reshop them TODAY. Congressional authorization for several FAA programs expired at midnight last night. As a result, certain airline taxes have temporarily been suspended, resulting in a potential savings to you. This won't last, so reshop that trip NOW.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Bummer! The prices for when I'd be going in March aren't very low yet. Oh well, there's always Direct Air. They have family ties sales a lot. Thanks for the heads up though.

Dsnygirl
07-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the info -- doesn't make it possible for the girls and I to fly instead of driving in August, but I might at least get the taxes refunded on my DH's flights. That'd be nice! :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
07-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Got this in email today

If you are shopping for airline tickets, reshop them TODAY. Congressional authorization for several FAA programs expired at midnight last night. As a result, certain airline taxes have temporarily been suspended, resulting in a potential savings to you. This won't last, so reshop that trip NOW.

While this seems like a good thing it is not from what I understand. Alot of those "programs" are in place for our safety. While this doesn't affect the air traffic controllers it does affect other problems in the airports.

VWL Mom
07-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Yesterday's news said the IRS will be releasing a statement on this. If you paid the tax and fly before the contracts are renegotiated you will get a refund, if you buy now without the tax and fly now - you're ok, if you buy now and fly after it's renegotiated - you will owe. Such a mess.

I agree with NJGIRL, there are plenty of places to cut costs, FAA doesn't seem like one to me.

brivers222
07-24-2011, 06:43 PM
i looked at my delta... all they did was increase the airline ticket price to make up for the less fee charge.

The overall price is still $199.40 Round trip that we paid. Only difference is our ticket was $178 without the fees, now its $185 for the tickets without the fees

epceddie
07-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the tip. I just re-booked our September flights with Southwest from Providence and saved $118!
We now have over $200 in travel credits. It always pays to do a little work and check on prices every now and then. I've saved a ton on rental cars by doing that.

BigRedDad
07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Airlines almost immediately increased their fares for the tax expiration.

mudpuppysmom
07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I just checked our flights.....and it would save me a mere 70 cents if I rebooked.

I will say though that when flying you need to keep checking daily (sometimes several times) to keep track of what prices are and how they are flowing.

We were lucky enough to get a flight on SW when they had a sale based on mileage -- price was dependent on how many miles you flew, so ours were $90 each way (which is good nowadays).

Thanks for trying to save us all a few bucks though!