PDA

View Full Version : Explaining Differences to a Child

meldan98
07-22-2011, 02:21 PM
During our last trip to Disneyland a couple of weeks ago, something came up that I had never thought about and I thought that I would get your input.

When we arrived at California Adventure the first day, I noticed that there were a large number of small statured people in the parks and I realized quickly that there must be a convention or event in the area for them. I noticed that my daughter, who is 7, looking at some of them curiously. She wasn't being rude or anything or saying anything, but I just could tell she was a little confused. I mentioned to her that sometimes people are smaller than others and that we would see them a lot over the next few days. I asked her not to stare or say anything about it. She never mentioned it and I never noticed any her staring or anything.

I found out later that there was a Little American conference in Orange County and there were thousands of people in town for the event.

I'm not sure if I handled it correctly. What are your thoughts?

Scar
07-22-2011, 03:11 PM
She never mentioned it and I never noticed any her staring or anything.It seems like you handled it perfectly.

MNNHFLTX
07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a good explanation to me. If we adults don't make a big deal about something usually kids don't either. :thumbsup:

DVC2004
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds like a good explanation to me. If we adults don't make a big deal about something usually kids don't either. :thumbsup:

Totally agree on all points. Kids don't need that detailed an explanation most of the time. I remember our first trip to WDW my boys were 3and 4 and a half. There were many people in wheelchairs and scooters and they really hadn't seen this before at home. I just told them some people can't walk so good and their feet hurt them. That was enough- they didn't stare or or have any other questions. :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Sounds like you did fine

Madame Leona
07-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I think you handled it perfectly. My kids liked to watch Little People, Big World and The Little Couple. Those shows both answered a lot of their questions in an appropriate manner.

DisneyOtaku
07-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I think you handled it very well :thumbsup:

Dulcee
07-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I think you handled it well.

When my nephew was about 4 or 5 years old we were at WDW. Standing behind us in line was someone who was obviously much smaller then the rest of us. My nephew being very outspoken turned around, said Hi, why are you so small? My sister was embarrassed and we all went to jump on him to stop talking but the women was exceedingly nice, explained that she was just born to be little. My nephew replied he was born blond and then went to telling her about how he had just ridden the pirates ride.

It was a pretty humbling moment that made us realize sometimes the explanations for kids are easier then for adults.

Stitchahula
07-24-2011, 06:59 PM
my son has a rare illness that requires him to have blood transfusions. while we were talking one day he asked why him, he felt so different. I explained to him that everyone has something that makes them different. some people wear glasses, some wear hearing aids, some kids have autism ( a friend of his) some are in wheel chairs (his grandmother was). Everyone is different in all sorts of ways, some are good at sports some are good with school, some are good with video games. He understood that pretty well.