PDA

View Full Version : LDW - Loss Damage Waiver... Is it needed?

brivers222
07-21-2011, 11:05 PM
I am exploring renting a car from Hertz at MCO for our trip so that we don't have to rely on disney buses all the time.

Do we really have to purchase the LDW ($23.99 a day?!?)

We would be putting the rental car on my fiances American Express Delta Card. One of the benefits of the card says, "Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance: When you use your Card to rent a car, you're automatically covered if the car is damaged or stolen."

Does that mean we don't need the Loss Damage waiver offered by the rental company?

A Big Kid
07-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Check two things first:

Does your credit card cover you

Does you car insurance cover you.

For many, the LDW is a duplicate coverage because of the above.

brivers222
07-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Well above is what the credit card says... Am I to assume that means they cover it? Not really sure the lingo terminology

mickeyman42
07-22-2011, 06:49 AM
when I checked with my own personal car insurance I found out that I am covered for both collision/damage (LDW) and 3rd party liability on my own car and also for rental cars. check there and see if they already have you covered, because apparently most personal ins do provide this coverage, a fact that would have helped me save a ton of money the last 3 times I rented a car and paid both at the airport counter

brivers222
07-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks, i am going to call them this morning and ask.

Renting a car could be "affordable" at $478 for 10 days.... but NOT at $717.

I found ENTERPRISE has a Cost-Co member rate of $220 for the full 10 days... So i am going to jump on this as soon as I hear whether I don't have to agree to the LDW from them!

BigRedDad
07-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Best thing to do is have it on your own personal auto insurance. This includes you and your fiance's insurance if you have separate insurance policies. It is only about $2 every 6 months. This way there is no question that are covered. Imagine using your card which "may" cover you, your fiance is driving and gets in an accident. It is very likely she may not be covered under the credit card.

brivers222
07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Best thing to do is have it on your own personal auto insurance. This includes you and your fiance's insurance if you have separate insurance policies. It is only about $2 every 6 months. This way there is no question that are covered. Imagine using your card which "may" cover you, your fiance is driving and gets in an accident. It is very likely she may not be covered under the credit card.

What do I ask my insurance company to add? We will both have the same insurance as our honeymoon is a month after we are married.

Talked to Amex Delta Skymiles people... they cover 100% Loss and Damage. But as you said it was for my Fiancee (as the card is in her name)

Mickey'sGirl
07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
It's a very basic (and quite standard) clause in most auto insurance contracts. Just call your Insurance Rep, and ask to make sure it is on your policy (the cost is minimal), and ask them to send you a copy of the rider page to take with you to the car place.

sorcerer fan
07-22-2011, 09:12 AM
you may have coverage on your own insurance, but my insurance man said that they get you if the car is damaged, for loss of use and rental fees that aren't being able to be collectedwhile the car is in the shop, this is NOT covered by your insurance

brivers222
07-22-2011, 09:46 AM
you may have coverage on your own insurance, but my insurance man said that they get you if the car is damaged, for loss of use and rental fees that aren't being able to be collectedwhile the car is in the shop, this is NOT covered by your insurance

Correct that is what Mine said too along with diminished value costs not being covered... However AMEX card that we will be using to pay for rental does include the Loss of use and fees coverage.

We are awaiting the card in the mail so that I can call them and verify that i will be covered....although I will not be an authorized user on card, i will be a authorized driver on rental agreement. According to reports so far talking to them, it sounds like as long as rental is paid in full through the card AND the ldw is declined anyone authorized to drive the car on the rental agreement will be covered.

Ed
07-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Renting a car could be "affordable" at $478 for 10 days.... but NOT at $717.

I found ENTERPRISE has a Cost-Co member rate of $220 for the full 10 days... So i am going to jump on this as soon as I hear whether I don't have to agree to the LDW from them!

Another thing to check (ain't car rentals fun?) - does that $220 include all the taxes and other fees, or is it just the base rental charge? When you rent at the airport, they tack on things like "facility fees" which basically goes toward the rental company's cost of renting garage and counter space at the airport, and additional taxes. Make sure you have the bottom line before deciding.

brivers222
07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Another thing to check (ain't car rentals fun?) - does that $220 include all the taxes and other fees, or is it just the base rental charge? When you rent at the airport, they tack on things like "facility fees" which basically goes toward the rental company's cost of renting garage and counter space at the airport, and additional taxes. Make sure you have the bottom line before deciding.

Yeah i double checked that with Enterprise lol didn't with alamo and it was like $200 more

its $152 for 10-days via a Costco member link... then its like $68 in fees and surcharges...

BigRedDad
07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Just ask your car insurance company if you have rental vehicle coverage. If not, ask them how much it is. It should only be a couple $'s.

wdwfansince75
07-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Although I am thankfully no longer a Road Warrior, when I was traveling almost weekly, and renting autos essentially every week, I went through the due diligence on this...My insurance, USAA, covered LDW, and lost value and related costs...At all Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Budget, or National counters, (used each at one time or another), I usually just showed my USAA card, and they noted it on my contract. So...my suggestion is to get either a waiver letter or statement from the card company, or carry your insurance card with you.

MNNHFLTX
07-22-2011, 04:10 PM
If you were going to rent a car somewhere in Europe, I would say go ahead and purchase the extra coverage (as we've found many standard U.S. auto insurance companies do not offer any coverage overseas, let alone extra). However, we've always found here in the states that our insurance policy covers the major stuff. That said, as far as LDW or excess (the deductible), our American Express card has always provided the extra coverage for the what insurance company does not. As you said, just check with the AMEX rep to make sure you have that level of coverage with the card.

Keep in mind, you have the right to refuse any extra coverage the rental car company offers--you just take on the extra risk if you don't have coverage of your own.

A Big Kid
07-23-2011, 08:53 AM
It's a very basic (and quite standard) clause in most auto insurance contracts. Just call your Insurance Rep, and ask to make sure it is on your policy (the cost is minimal), and ask them to send you a copy of the rider page to take with you to the car place.

I agree. It is usually one of those things you must specifically decline or it is included.

VWL Mom
07-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Correct that is what Mine said too along with diminished value costs not being covered... However AMEX card that we will be using to pay for rental does include the Loss of use and fees coverage.

We are awaiting the card in the mail so that I can call them and verify that i will be covered....although I will not be an authorized user on card, i will be a authorized driver on rental agreement. According to reports so far talking to them, it sounds like as long as rental is paid in full through the card AND the ldw is declined anyone authorized to drive the car on the rental agreement will be covered.

If needed you could be added as a secondary card holder ($45?) with AX.

brivers222
07-24-2011, 06:37 PM
If needed you could be added as a secondary card holder ($45?) with AX.

due to circumstances dealing with my divorce and debt, i am not allowed to take on credit cards... even that means just being a secondary card holder.

But i talked it over with my insurance dude and with AMEX and both said that if i want to be fully worry free in regards to any and all damage to accept Enterprise's damage waiver. Plus, actually, I am okay with it now, because the price of waiver for the entire trip is 1/2 of the price of my deductible. So it works out. I have never rented for more than a weekend end (2days) so it was a bit of stick shock for a 10day period. and i don't have to deal with my own insurance and risk rates going up.

Thanks everyone for all the input :)