PDA

View Full Version : Q re: Florida heat...

Dsnygirl
07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Ok, so here's something I just started wondering about....

We've been going out & doimg thi.gs in the hotter weather up here in NY, just to try and get used to it before our Disney trip in August.:blush:

Beinv surrounded by the Fingee Lakes, even on the hottest days, we usually have a breeze, which helps tremendously.

So, just wondering if on the brutal summer days at Disney, there are decent breezes... being so far inland but still having lakes around, I'm hoping it's a possibility!!!

Because, I'm at the beach right now with my girls, and it is 94, and the only thinv savinv me is the breeze!! :D

DizneyRox
07-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Don't depend on a breeze. Most of the parks are fairly stagnant, the exception being Epcot around the lagoon.

AK in particular is usually hotter than the rest because of even less movement of air. At least in my experiences. Disney has turned down the AC in many/most of it's attractions and restaurants, so while it's a bit of a relief, it's not as much as it used to be.

Drink LOTS of water and wear open shoes if possible. That I've found helps the most.

btharvey
07-21-2011, 02:03 PM
It all depends on how close to the teacups you are (there is a very mild breeze when they get going) ;). Of course, standing in front of Splash Mountain helps.:mickey:

On the really hot days, I haven't noticed many breezes. I would imagine somewhere near the front of the castle / Casey's / higher on the walkways near Tomorrowland would be good in MK. Haven't really noticed any in Epcot. And AK seems to be entrapped by vegetation. Hollywood Studios just seems to have too much asphalt and concrete to ever be cool.

Lots of breezes when it rains. :rain:

buzznwoodysmom
07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Because, I'm at the beach right now with my girls, and it is 94, and the only thinv savinv me is the breeze!! :D

I'm trying not to be too dramatic here, but there are times in WDW in the summer that I would do anything for it to be 94 and breezy! If the breeze is the only thing saving you in 94 degree beach weather, I'm not sure how you'll handle WDW in August. That's probably the hottest month of the year. There are times its been 100 or higher and no breeze to speak of.

When we visit in the summer we usually end up spending half our days at the pool. We either get to the parks early, stay till around lunch, go back to resort pool, returning to the parks for dinner when the sun is going down. Or we sleep in, hang out at the pool all day and go into the parks only at night. We also enjoy the water parks in the summer.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I hate the heat, but we've figured out how to manage quite well at Disney in August.

Most importantly, be sure to keep hydrated. On our first August trip (our honeymoon), I actually sat down on the ground at the MK and cried 'cause I was just beyond myself, way too hot, way too dehyrated and way too tired. Don't let your self get to this stage :blush:

Although Disney is crazy-hot, there are lots of opportunities to get cool. When possible, walk through shops and enjoy the A/C, take in a show or longer attraction when it gets too hot.

We also really enjoyed our pool time, and most days there is a brief rainstorm that cuts through the mugginess, at least for a few minutes.

Crazy hot, yes, but an August trip can still be great :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
07-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Magic Kingdom is absolutely the worst park for heat, just bar none. It feels like it only gets hotter around 5-6pm and with the tightness of the park to the begin with and then the summer crowds only made it worse.

Melanie
07-21-2011, 03:08 PM
We've spent a week at WDW the past two Augusts, and it's pretty rough regarding the heat. Not going to lie. My FIL says he's done with August. There are many days we'd go to the park early, then head back to the hotel and just zone out for the rest of the day because the heat had zapped us.

There are ways to get around it though, like others have mentioned. For me, the worst is Animal Kingdom, hands down. The plants there really amp up the humidity and there just aren't as many places to duck into air conditioning and cool off.

Knowing what you are getting into and planning is key. Find out what works for you. Just involve lots of water! :)

Strmchsr
07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
WDW would have no natural features to cause a breeze. You do, in general, get the sea breeze effect around 3-5 pm, which is what sets off those afternoon thunderstorms. But if the sea breeze doesn't move inland that day you're pretty much out of luck. Having lived all across the world, I can say heat/humidity around the Gulf Coast (including WDW) is about as bad as it gets. No other place in the USA can come close to preparing you for it. Where I live is very similar to WDW - we're far enough inland that we rarely get the sea breeze thunderstorms, but we're in the south so we get all the heat and humidity.

AllDisney
07-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree AK is the worst for being hot with no relief.

I'd suggest going early to the parks. Plan on leaving the parks around 1:00 to hang out at the resorts' pool. Head back late afternoon / early evening. Drink lots of water. As suggested try and do indoor shows & attractions.

Relax. Plan accordingly & you'll be fine:mickey:

dyin tago
07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
must agree,we have visited 6 times in september and it is no better.

as soon as you leave the room in the morning you feel like you need a shower.

we continue to go this time because it is much less busy and you are guaranteed beach,waterpark and wet ride weather everyday.

we are so glad we do not have to go in summer months and have crowds and lines on top of the heat.:mickey:

faline
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Expect it to be hot and humid. I think it helps a lot to get on rides and indoor attractions. Mid-day breaks back at the room and the pool help as well. I find after the pool, a quick shower and change back in the room leaves you pretty refreshed for evening touring.