PDA

View Full Version : Taking 1 Yr Old

Airblue1
07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I know some of you are with me on this one. We will be taking our 1 yr old, who is only 9wks old currently, for her one year birthday. Now we have been to the parks childless several times. However, this will be our first time with the baby. I have a few questions, 1. Where did you stay and why did you choose that location? 2. How did you plan your meals? 3. What are some must do's and some def. do nots!? 4. Would you be willing to share a story of your own from your trip with a one yr old or close in age.
Thanks

faline
07-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Went with a 2 year old a couple of years ago. Things will be very different. Plan to go at the child's pace. You may find that the favorite "attractions" are things like the water fountains and many rides are ignored. You may find your little one "loves" the characters or "hides under the table" when they approach. Your child may sleep "anywhere" regardless of noise level or only with much coaxing in a darkened bedroom at your resort. I'm not saying it won't be fun - only very different from adult only adventures!

DizneyRox
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
1. AKLV - Kidani Village - Having a 1BR or bigger with a little one is nice. They sleep in one room and it's not bedtime for everyone else. The pool is great for little ones as well.
2. We planned meals based on what we wanted to do. The little one is only going to eat a few things, and quite frankly did more snacking than anything. We would order stuff that he might like, but he didn't eat much. Make sure oyu bring familiar snacks for them.
3. Do what you want. Anything without a height requirement can be done by all. We did pretty much all the boat rides, the safari at AK, and a few others. Probably best to stay away from the shows.
4. The trip at one was probably the best thus far. As they get older, they get worse. I couldn't imagine a trip there how with him at 3. He was OK on the cruise, but could have been better. More stimulation at WDW could ave possilby put him in overload much quicker!

Pirate Granny
07-19-2011, 08:03 PM
We've been with a 9 month old...no issues, we stayed at the Pop. She luved the fireworks, and did all the rides without restrictions....the Baby care rooms in each park are wonderful...we like the one at AK the best.
:pirate:

Airblue1
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
We were thinking the Poly. Grandma and Grandpa are also coming. Is 7 days a lot to ask for all parties? Should we do more of a 5 day?
I love the idea of snacks. If you get the dining plan you could load up on snacks.
The shows do seem to be a lot to ask. The pool thing sounds great. What about monorail and bus transportation. I guess we could not wait long to get out of the parks with the lil one wants to get out?
Just trying to cover all bases!
Thanks in advance!

January-2007
07-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I think staying at the Polynesian is a great idea if you can swing it financially, that location will make your life a lot easier with a little one. We stayed in a two bedroom condo right outside the parks so our son could have his own room. Sleep is the most important thing to a child that age and their subsequent behavior. We did WDW when our DS was about 6 1/2 months and did Disneyland when he was a little over a year. He got a lot more out of the trip when we was closer to a year so I bet your little one will love it.

Favorites: Journey into your Imagination, Country Bear Jamboree, Mexico ride- loves Donald Duck!

He also enjoyed a lot: it's a small world, meeting the characters, Playhouse Disney live on stage, walking down the street!

He would sleep some in his stroller, but when it was time for naps we left so he could be in good spirits. Just go with the baby's flow and all will be good. And keep them cool!

LisaP
07-20-2011, 12:31 AM
First trip with DS @ almost 2yo we stayed at WL. I wanted to be close to MK, and the water taxi was GREAT compared to the bus (w/ stroller rookie dad). I absolutely loved WL because I felt it was a tad laid back - perfect for his age. It's a beautiful resort, and the least expensive of the deluxe. It was never crowded nor a long wait for the water taxi, and folding up the stroller was quick and easy we didn't feel rushed. It was a relaxing ride to MK.

I planned meals around naps ... we did a quick breakfast in the room (mine needs to eat immediately) and since we were on DDP I booked several character meals. I decided that it didn't matter if we got on the popular rides, that the character meals and the parks themselves would be entertainment enough if the lines were too long. We really didn't utilize fastpass, although I do recommend using it, especially for the attractions in Fantasyland.

Most recent trip with DS5 and DS2 AND a double stroller, we stayed at Poly. The monorail was KEY to a smooth itinerary! Being able to wheel the stroller onto the monorail is invaluable to me. Poly is also a gorgeous resort, although much larger and busier than WL. My first ever stay at Disney from childhood, so it holds a special place in my heart.

I will say that this go around I felt that we didn't get to see as much of what I hoped to in every park. It's to be expected when the kiddies are as young as mine.

What helped us enjoy as much as possible with our little one was Disney's Magical Beginnings Guide, which highlighted age appropriate attractions in each park. A great resource! Here's the link: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/MagicalBeginningsGuide.pdf

I don't think 7 days is too long, as it will give you a day or two to relax and spend some time at your resort so that you don't feel pressured to tackle a park a day.

Happy planning! :pixie:

Mich
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
We took our oldest son when he was 13 months old, and our youngest son when he was 9 months old. We spent a lot of time at Magic Kingdom and EPCOT, a day at Animal Kingdom, and about a half a day at the Studios. You'll want to stay some place where it is convenient to go back to your room for a break during the day. Poly would be perfect. Our boys both loved It's a Small World, Country Bears, Peter Pan, the Mexico ride, Living Seas, Journey into Imagination, the boat ride in The Land...anything that moved at a slower pace that they could look at. The baby care centers are fabulous...definitely take advantage of them when you can. They also have various baby care supplies, but be prepared to pay Disney prices for them.

It may be a little early for your daughter, but they do baby's first haircuts in the barbershop on Main Street. They make it a great experience for them, and they even get a pair of mouse ears with Baby's First Haircut on the back. Both of our boys had their first haircuts there! :mickey:

BigRedDad
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
2 was the youngest I went with. Here are my takes from the experience.

1. Transportation: If using Disney transportation, you are holding your child instead of being in a proper restraint. the transportation system is quite safe. If you are overly concerned about this, simple physics state that it is not good for a young child not to be restrained.

2. Resorts: Any resort you choose your child will love. They are all themed for children in mind. This is strictly up to your budget and desires. We stay at Values because we only sleep, shower, and swim there.

3. Pace: Your child will dictate your pace. You may find yourself sitting on a curb for 15 minutes as they stare at balloons for no other reason than they can.

4. Attractions: You can pretty much kiss all of the fast attractions out unless you use child swap. In shows, try to sit near an aisle. In case they are afraid, pitching a fit, or what ever, you want to be able to get out quickly and easily.

5. Kiddie area: Try to find out where the kiddie areas are at each park. Most have little fountains that squirt and little ones love them.

6. Family restrooms: Try to locate where the family restrooms are before going into a park. This will make it easier for changes.

Dulcee
07-20-2011, 09:54 AM
While we don't have kids we did go with my sister when her kids were young.

She didn't keep to a strict nap plan, we found most days he'd fall asleep in the stroller for cat naps and be up and raring to go again.

We did take advantage of the baby care rooms in the parks. We went during the summer and just having a chance for air conditioning was often enough to calm him when upset. It also provided a quiet area for snacks and diaper changes that wasn't nearly as highly trafficked as bathrooms and such.

Taking grandparents will help you quite a bit. Two extra sets of hands means you can take turns with rides, taking breaks etc.

Plan meals but don't be surprised if you need to change things around. Some days our nephews were more then happy to sit through dinner and other days it was easier to scratch it for a counter service meal instead.

Use an umbrella stroller....not a big bulky one. Buses, boats, monorails, turnstiles, lines on rides, seating at shows, it all works better with a small collapsible stroller. My sister transferred her diaper bag contents to a backpack for easy carrying.

Take lots of photos....I have pictures from when my parents took me as a 9 month old 24 years ago! This trip will have a whole special set of memories for you by the end of it.

IloveJack
07-20-2011, 10:57 AM
I've taken my DD for both her first and second birthdays, and next June, I'll be taking my 6 week old (today!) for her first birthday.
We stayed at the values for the past two trips, and had no problems. The giant "loud" icons were funny to her. Of course, could we have afforded to be on the monorail loop, we would have. Next June, we'll be at FW.
I would suugest taking your own stroller, especially if it reclines. DD napped in ours, and it allowed us to remain in the parks all day. (Returning to the resort takes so much time). Also, it's nice to throw extra snacks in the diaper bag and toss it under the stroller. While rented strollers mean not having to wag yours around, they're hard and unforgiving to a 1-year old.
Pack an extra outfit in a ziploc bag and put it in the diaper bag. That way, you'll have something to put soiled clothes back in and keep everything else clean and dry.
DH and I took the chance to do all the slow stuff that we'd previously ignored. Of course, we still rode our faces (Pirates and HM), because there's no height requirement.
I planned meals as I would at home. DD ate like a bird (and still does), so she shared from our plates and I took her favorite snacks. She was still nursing at the time, so I can't speak for milk/formula availability.
See lots of characters. They adore the little ones, and they're memories you'll cherish.

Airblue1
07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Thank you all so very much. Please continue to give us your advice and stories. I can not wait to take her to the parks. Understandably this is more about us than her. We will def. have enough footage in which she will one day look back on and say " My parents took me to Disney every year of my life even when I was one!"

LisaP
07-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Thank you all so very much. Please continue to give us your advice and stories. I can not wait to take her to the parks. Understandably this is more about us than her. We will def. have enough footage in which she will one day look back on and say " My parents took me to Disney every year of my life even when I was one!"

How sweet is that!?!? Fond memories for you all. I would say definitely bring your own stroller for her comfort. We went back for naps (we found them useful for ourselves as well) but DS still fell asleep in his comfy stroller. I had one that was a nice mid range type ... not the big bulky full stroller but not a flimsy umbrella one either. My rule was if it tips over when he's out of it from our stuff, it's not going :D

GottaLvDisney
07-20-2011, 04:34 PM
We took our now 2 1/2yo son when he was 10mo old and he did great. For us, meals were whenever/whatever the rest of us felt like b/c he just ate bites off of our plates. I did have a backpack with different snacks, and even a few of the Gerber toddler meals in it for time when he didn't want to wait or if the menu didn't have something baby friendly (the latter never happened and those meals came back home unopened).

He learned how to drink out of a straw there, which was helpful, but we made sure to have a sippee for him filled with water at all times since it's so hot when we go in September.

We brought our own stroller and he napped really well in it, which helped our pace. We have battery operated, foam blade clip on fans that attach to the stroller so he had a constant little breeze. We also always started early in the morning, took a mid-day break for napping or cooling off in the pool, and then headed back out. Usually late bedtimes weren't a concern either since it was in September so the parks closed earlier.

He loved all rides and really did well. We're going again this September and our DD will be 13mo - hoping she's as easy a traveler as he was.

KennyandKim
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I wish I had taken mine when they were younger. I now have a grand daughter that is now 8 weeks old and I am planning to take her when she is 18 months old. Hopefully she will not be too bad.

pixieprelude
08-04-2011, 03:44 AM
I have gone to disneyworld 22 times and have stayed at almost all disney hotels.I want to go next year however, I need some advice because I am having triplets. By the time we go the babies will be 10 months old.I would never want to make them uncomfortable so i know we will only take them to the parks in the morning and will go back to the hotel in the afternoon. I have no expections on what we will see I just want the babies to be introduced to Disney.My question is what resort would you recommend for someone with babies? What tips would anyone recommend when bringing babies to the parks?

BigRedDad
08-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Wow...triplets. Congrats.

Assuming you are using Disney transportation, which I would not recommend with 2 10 month olds, I would stay at a monorail resort. If you have your own transportation (highly recommended), I would stay at Pop century. I think all of the colors, kiddie pool, kids fountain would be great.

I recommend your own transportation because holding onto 3 kids on a bus will be impossible. You will have 2 strollers at least to manage and the 3 kids. I just don't see that happening with 2 people safely.