PDA

View Full Version : How do you make 5 work?

Gator
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I've been trying to get around the logistics of having 3 kids along on a WDW trip. At ages 6, 4, and 6 months, they all need wheels to travel on. That means two strollers on a bus - a double and a singe for the baby. Have any of you faced this before? How does one parent carry the double, while the other has the baby and maybe a umbrella stoller work? I'd love some input.

elmjimmlm
07-19-2011, 12:10 PM
There are some great double strollers that you can rent in the parks...You get them when you enter the park and can leave them there when you are leaving...They are the easiest stroller I have ever used...They are great to push around and you dont have to try and stuff them on a bus with everyone else...

cer
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I took my kids at ages 7 and 5 for their first trip. Everyone walked - they did great. It really is personal preference, but I would not have even considered a stroller for them. So even though yours will be 4 and 6, I'd suggest big kids walk and take breaks as necessary, then you have only one stroller.

But again, only you know what is going to work for your family. I am throwing out the "big kids walk option" just in case you have not considered it.

Have a great trip.

Dulcee
07-19-2011, 12:23 PM
they all need wheels to travel on

lol that made me laugh

Moving on...possibly consider only using the double stroller? Let the 4 and 6 year old take turns walking. And/or use one of those backpack like devices for the infant?

We did WDW once with a largish stroller and swore never again. Now its only umbrella strollers when necessary.

Tink1
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
My sons were 4 and 6 our first trip. We rented a stoller ONE day for the 4 yr old. He never wanted to sit his butt in it!

We did a 10 day trip and the 4 and 6 yr old walked. You just go at their speed and take breaks. It was very enjoyable.

Nanc

disneymom15
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Don't know about this, but, are there double strollers with platforms on the back for standing? I know I've seen single seaters with platforms but not sure about doubles.

Mickey'sGirl
07-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I agree. I would eliminate one of the strollers. I can't even imagine the logistics of dealing with all those wheels when giong to do anything when in the parks! Honestly, our youngest has been hoofing it since he was 4, and when he complains that he is hot and his feet hurt, we take a break or go for a swim, or get a cold drink, and all is good in the world again! Even if you bring an umbrella stroller for them to switch off on, I think you will be better off.

buzznwoodysmom
07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
We only ever took umbrella strollers with us to WDW. I refused to have to deal with, and put other guests through us trying to handle our huge double stroller on the buses. I know many have done it, but for us it was just not an option I was comfortable with. As soon as our kids were around a year old we gave up bringing our own umbrella stroller and used the park strollers. I know it stinks to have to carry a sleeping child all the way to the buses, but we felt it was even worse having to deal with a sleeping child or children and the strollers to get on and off the bus. All children are different, but by age 6 our kids were fine with walking to the bus at the end of the night. They may have been tired, and some times might have fallen asleep in the stroller, but we never had any problems waking them and telling them we needed to walk to the bus stop. Now the 4 year old and the baby you may have to carry, but I can't see it being a problem with the 6 year old. I would try renting only one double stroller for the baby and the 4 year old. I'm sure the 4 year old will want to do some walking at which time the 6 year old can take a break in the 4 year olds place. If that doesn't work out, then rent a single and a double. Of course you know your children better than I do, I'm sure you'll find a way to make it all work out for you.

lynnek
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Definitely back pack thing or front pack. All three of ours have been through that--we have done a lot of NYC, subways, etc with that thing. Then one stroller with the step thing on the back. Just a heads up, your back will feel it! Get used to it before you go.

Cara121078
07-19-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree with everyone who said eliminate one of the strollers and let the 4 and 6 year olds switch off, when they need breaks.