PDA

View Full Version : Ok. I admit it. I'm a hotel snob.

Cinderelley
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Over the years, I have read posts about being "hotel snobs". I'd never considered myself in that category. Pop Century is my favorite resort at Disney World, and I've never heard anyone refer to it in the "snob" category. lol.

But, we are in Virginia visiting my son who just got back from deployment. The room is a bit worn down, but not horrible. Housekeeping consists of them knocking on the door, asking if you want fresh towels and to have you bring your own trash out to them. It was a bit shocking, but I am not averse to doing it. Last night though, our toilet was clogged. I had to walk down to the office, because our room phone wouldn't dial. Once I got there, the guy (who had obviously been sleeping) told me that the plunger was to the right of the office near the gas line. I had to plunge my own toilet!!! :mad: I know that isn't the end of the world, but seriously???????

Briansmom
07-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't consider that being a hotel snob...that's just expecting decent service which you absolutely did not get.

And thank you to your son for his service to our country. :flag:

jmj18
07-19-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't consider that being a hotel snob...that's just expecting decent service which you absolutely did not get.

And thank you to your son for his service to our country. :flag:

Ditto!!!!

:mickey:

iceicebritney
07-19-2011, 09:37 AM
It's hard to find good customer service anymore! Which is very sad :( let's face it, no where does it like disney:mickey: that's why we continue to go back

Thank you to your son for his service! Glad he is home safe :)

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
No, that's not being a resort snob, that is just plain unacceptable.:(

SBETigg
07-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Agreed. So sorry for your bad experience.

magicofdisney
07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree with the general consensus that you just received poor service. It's Disney's fault for being so wonderful with customer satisfaction (generally speaking). :mickey:

But this reminds me of our recent vacation. My husband travels for work, staying in Marriotts and earning points for stays. We used his points during our vacation last month. The first night we got in after midnight and the hotel was out of rooms (despite our reservations). They had taken the liberty of setting us up with rooms at a neighboring hotel (not Marriott but on their dime) and were going to drive us (however, we had a rental). Management even insisted we come back the next morning for a complimentary breakfast.

Unfortunately, the surrogate hotel was not up to par with what we've come to expect from Marriott. It was then I realized I've probably become a hotel snob as well. :blush:

Itchy
07-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I stayed at a small motel in Chicago a few years ago. When I checked in the room I found the toilet clogged before I used it. When I called the front desk they said that their maintenance person had left for the day but they would send me a plunger, nope don't bother give me another room. After a short conversation they finally said they would put me in another room. Bottom line I am paying to stay there, not to maintain it.

mollyme123
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM

not at all acceptable...will you be writing the corporate offices?

Cinderelley
07-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I feel a little better after a good night's sleep, but I'm still irritated. To top it off, when I logged on to intercot I saw the add for $85 a night at Disney. A short drive and $6 more a night and I could be there. lol Unfortunately, my son still has duty rotations on the ship and can't leave.
I will pass your messages on to him. Thank you for the kind comments. He really appreciates them. It is really amazing how different his stories are from what the news reports. One example is how people all over would come up and thank them for what we have been doing in Afghanistan - not just in the middle east either. One particular story he told us about happened in Spain. They even tried to make hamburgers for them in Spain, which turned out to be slices of steak on bread. It was probably the highest grade hamburger he's ever had. lol He thought it was very considerate of them to try. :D
I teased him that he was all the way across the globe and ate something he could get at home.

Cinderelley
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
not at all acceptable...will you be writing the corporate offices?

It was the owner who told me where the plunger was. Well, I am assuming it was the owner. He is the one who checked people in during the day and was still there at night. I don't think anyone else would be that devoted to their job.

Imalismom
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I realized when we took our DD on College "look at" trips that I was a hotel snob. My DH and I had never stayed at a hotel that was NOT in WDW that we had paid for ourselves. We just don't take pleasure trips from home that we don't stay with friends. When we do travel and stay in a hotel its usually at a very nice hotel when he is on a business trip and the company has booked the hotel for him and I just tag along.

Now, my idea of a good hotel at WDW can be All Stars to Grand Floridian (and I have stayed in both!!).

My husband's idea of a good hotel (I came to find out) is a room that he can get for under $25 a night. There is no convincing him of any other type!!! I'm sure those hotels don't even have a plunger!!!! UGH! I am indeed a hotel snob! One night he spent over 2 hours looking for such a hotel (while passing up many LA Quinta type inns, which I think are very nice)... My DD told me one of the one we stayed at looked like she might get murdered at it.

Luckily - no more look at college trips ever!!!

(PS - I also send my thanks to your son)

NewDVCowner
07-19-2011, 02:19 PM
It was the owner who told me where the plunger was. Well, I am assuming it was the owner. He is the one who checked people in during the day and was still there at night. I don't think anyone else would be that devoted to their job.

Then I would post a hotel review on some of the travel sites. I did that for a hotel that we stayed at in Georgia one time. We walked in and the floor was covered in toilet water. All the electrical cords were unplugged as well as other indications that management was aware of the problem. They moved us to another room where the door didn't lock before we left the hotel and stayed somewhere else. Anyway, that was the first time I've ever posted a review for a hotel. Made me feel better, at least.

Georgesgirl1
07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't think you are a hotel snob, just someone who expects a decent place to stay and some service!

And a great big THANK YOU to your son!:thanks:

DisneyOtaku
07-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that's not being a hotel snob. That's expecting to get services that you paid for. If it had been possible, I would have demanded my money back and go find a new hotel.