PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad, and the Magical Trip Report - Day 7

Mackflava99
07-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Day 7 – Move day

Good Bye Bay Lake, Hello Beach Club !!

I woke up today and did my normal stop at the gym and to grab some tea at Contempo Café,
I must say that after the tough first day, we really liked the BLT. The room was great, the activities were very abundant, and it was also very quiet. I liked being so close to the lake, yet so close to everything with the monorail. We originally tried to get BLT for the entire stay, but we couldn’t pull it off. I actually went to the concierge to see if they could help, but I guess the busy season was approaching.

We packed almost everything the night before except the refrigerated food. My wife had done a good job estimating the food we’d need except for frozen waffles, so we all had a mandatory stack of waffles for breakfast…

We were all ready to go by 10:45 and were waiting for the baggage person to come by.
All of a sudden the Mousekeeper knocked on the door and said, are you leaving ? I said “we are just waiting for the luggage guy”. She said “ well you need to be out now !!” Not very Disney like.
That’s all my wife had to hear. “ Are you kidding me, you make us wait till after 6:30 to check in and now you are here 15 minutes before we are supposed to leave?” I said “ no you cannot come in yet, and feel free to call your boss. “ I was shocked.
Now it’s ,11:20 and no luggage guy was here, there was some hold-up. We let her get in to start cleaning so the next person would not have the same experience we had. I then just pulled my van to the front door and loaded it myself, it was easy. As I was bringing the bags from the room to the car, the DVC person asked “ do you want me to call for someone to help?” I said “ no, I have given up on the service here.” Just as the last bag got to the car, the man stopped bye with the luggage cart. I told him “sorry but next time you need to coordinate better with the Mousekeeper so when she puts pressure on us, you show up on time…”
We then drove over to the beach club, arriving just past noon.

The Beach Club is kind of like our second home, it was the first resort we visited as a family, and this is our 7th stay here. We all have our favorites, My kids and I like the Wilderness Lodge a little more, but the Beach Club is my wife’s favorite and for some reason her vote counts more than mine…Needless to say, it is our second home, and I just get a warm feeling when we drive up to the beautiful lobby entrance.

One sad note , Art the Greater was not there, I did not know he retired. He was such a friendly man.

We gave our bags to the valet, and went inside, there was no wait, we had our room in about 20 min, the room was spotless, plus there were towel designs on the beds. We got our bags quickly, and we were on our way to Stormalong bay within an hour. This experience was the TOTAL OPPOSITE of the BLT.
Stormalong bay is a great pool, the best on Disney property, giant waterslide, lazy river, whirlpool, sand bottom, waterfalls, it’s just got it all. We had a great time for about an hour , when lightning and thunder started, and we were asked to leave the pool. We were hungry, but Hurricane Hannah’s was closed due to the weather, Beaches and Cream was a 70 min wait and the market place was packed. We jumped in our car and went to the counter area at Pop Century. That is one tremendous place to get lunch. So many varieties. Plus ,that is such a cool resort, I love walking around and seeing all the Giant icons, giant Big Wheel, Giant Foosball, Giant Yo-Yos etc.

Next we returned to the beach Club, and were allowed to jump in the pool again., we stayed until about 6pm. We then had a reservation at Cape may café. I must say this is a great place if you like Crabs and clams. My family does, and we had a real feast. The service was great and I know sometimes people don’t give this place high marks, but I totally disagree. The food is great, the service is great and the desserts are also great.
After dinner we walked around the boardwalk a little, but it started raining again, then I went with my daughters to trade pins over at the yacht club, and eventually we called it a night.

Observations:
At Dinner we had a family next to us that ate their shrimp whole. They didn’t pull off the shell. No joke, we were amazed. They were crunching away. Dipping the entire shrimp in the sauce, eating the legs, eyes and antenna..yuck! And they they ate a bushell.
I guess its good protein.(??) or maybe they had some calcium deficiency?
They didn’t eat the crabs or clams, too bad !! I would have paid good money to see them eat those shells too.

I wonder if they knew they were doing it wrong? i think it would have been finny if i had said, "hey , just to let you know, it tastes ALOT better if you peel off the shall and those nasty eyes..":D

Beach Club Store –I am not happy that the Beach Club minimized the selection of Beach Club specific souvenirs. While at one time there was an entire section, now there were just a few items. I am not a fan of Disney trying to make all the souvenirs the same. But I have seen the trend for a few years.

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I've always wanted to stay at the Beach Club but, evertime we call on at our 7 month window, it's not availale.

I guess your feeling of coming home to Beach Club is our feeling at SSR.

P.S. I am an asian pacific islander and eating all of shrimp including head and all is not unheard of. But, the shell??? I know that the shell is saved for some soup broths in our recipies. Even I have to draw the line somewhere11 :D

faline
07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Overall, your move went smoothly. The pool is a wonderful spot at the Beach Club!

brian2000boston
07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
i guess not everyone can be friendly, glad you had a good move.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the report, glad it was a better resort check in experience

yjgirl32
07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
I too am very unhappy about the same souvenirs for every resort. That is too funny about people eating the shell.

January-2007
07-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for reporting.

SBETigg
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
The family eating the shells made me laugh. Weird. I'm glad you warmed up to BLT, but there are definitely service issues from the sound of it. So glad you had such a great day at the Beach Club.

Joannelet
07-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Wow glad you got to Beach Club alright after that whole debacle at BLT.
The story of the family eating the shrimp...hilarious!
We love the beach club too. We stayed there without any points for my brother in laws wedding. We have always wanted to go to that pool but could never get in there using our DVC points...so we figured with the little discount they were giving us for the wedding we should stay there finally! :) The pool was all we expected and more!
Another great report!

pdrlkr
07-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

princessgirls
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
The BLT sure didn't make checking in or out any easy task...glad the days in between were nice!

Beach Club sounds lovely! Wives opinions do carry a lot of weight, you know!!

Fun that you went over to the Pop food court. Glad you enjoyed your meal.

Enjoyable day minus checkout.
Julie:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
It's always such a great feeling going back to your Home resort, isn't it? Thats how we feel about the Polynesian..(you know that though!!)
That is hysterical about the shrimp eating feeling. Sooo funny!