PDA

View Full Version : How often is your luggage soaked?

Disney4
07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
After returning home from vacation last week, we were again confronted by a nasty surprise - our luggage was completely soaked (huge rainstorm on 7/7).

Now, I do not know who is responsible (hotel/DME/TSA/Airline), but this makes 2 out of the last four times that our luggage has been utterly soaked, as if it was left sitting outside in the storm. Luckily, our pictures and other items that could have been damaged were in plastic bags, but the only other thing spared was dirty laundry! :thedolls:

So, how often is your luggage soaked when you get it? I guess I need to puteverything into plastic bags inside the luggage from now on.

AmandaChan
07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
geeez sorry to hear about that I have never honestly heard of that happening... that's a bummer! Considering your luck I think I would shrink wrap everything from now on :/

disneymom15
07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
In all our trips (40 plus) we've never experienced this either. Sorry for your bad luck.

Polynesian Dweller
07-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Likely the baggage handlers at the airport. There are rigid government rules about them being able to be out in thunder storms. When they are ordered to leave they just drop everything where it is. Safety of the people trumps the dryness of luggage.

Saw this about 3 years ago when about half the luggage was offloaded, we could watch from the window, and it was left when the handlers had to leave. We were lucky that ours hadn't been offloaded but lots of people on our flight had very wet luggage.

AllDisney
07-18-2011, 05:09 PM
We have never experienced this either. Sorry you had this happen to you

SBETigg
07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
In all our travels (and my husband travels frequently for business reasons) we have never had wet luggage. I wonder how this happens to you, and more than once? Sounds awful. So sorry.

caryrae
07-18-2011, 05:30 PM
We have used those space bags before and they work great. We used them more for making more space but they would work for keeping things dry as well but only thing is you need a vacuum to s**k air out but I would think you wouldn't need to s**k the air out for water protection. They are like huge size zip loc bags.

disneymom15
07-18-2011, 05:51 PM
We have used those space bags before and they work great. We used them more for making more space but they would work for keeping things dry as well but only thing is you need a vacuum to s**k air out but I would think you wouldn't need to s**k the air out for water protection. They are like huge size zip loc bags.

We use the space bags that have one way valves. No vacuum needed, simply roll the bag and force the air out.

gerald72
07-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Better that it happened on the way home than on the way there. That would ****.

Zippy 1
07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
:( That is awful! We have traveled a lot and never had that happen. Only difference is we usually travel in the winter. I hope you have better luck next time you travel

Tinkerfreak
07-18-2011, 08:11 PM
We use the space bags that have one way valves. No vacuum needed, simply roll the bag and force the air out.

I don't even use the space bags I use regular ziplock bags with the plastic gripper things on them. I close them up almost all the way leaving just enough of an opening to squish all the air out then close it up real quick. I use them for dirty laundry on the way back and then I can just throw them away after.

Disney4
07-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Better that it happened on the way home than on the way there. That would ****.

Actually, one time it did happen on our way to AKL - the bags arrived at shortly after midnight - soaked.

Believe it or not, the hotel staff laundered everything for us! A1 customer service, considering it was probably the airport's fault. :thumbsup:

Jodi
07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
The only time we have ever had wet luggage was on our honeymoon from the trunk of a rental car. Unfortunately we had cheap luggage and the white skirt I had inside turned blue from the luggage. :( The rental car company did refund some of our money....

Tink#64
07-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Gosh I'm so sorry that happened to you! I know first hand how much fun that is! NOT! Maybe about 5 years ago, MCO airport, going home after week long trip at WDW, a "Monsoon" :drama: hit and my DH just happened to spy our luggage out on a cart on the tarmac and went up to the desk/counter & asked what those curtains where for on the luggage racks? LOL, yes a little facitious, but they are there to protect your luggage from the weather & when the storm hit, the baggage handlers just hightailed it. Now I'm not mental, of course, they needed to be out of harms way, but really? Couldn't they have taken all of 5 second to close those (appeared to be a canvas material) curtains? Oh my gosh, the storm raged on for at least an hour or more, we actually were delayed about 3 hours! When we arrived home in the wee hours of the morning, I had to unpack everything! Everything was soaked, some dripping, some things were ruined, even clothing, from the color of some new clothes bleeding, after sitting wet next to each other for the neighborhood of 5 - 6 hours! When I went to Delta the next morning with all of the ruined items, the Delta Airlines person that I had to deal with acted surprised that I didn't pack all of our clothes & stuff in garbage bags beore putting into the luggage! Of course! Silly me! :thedolls:

Dream'nDisney
07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your luggage. Our luggage didn't get wet, but when it was delivered to our hotel at WDW, one of the pieces had a large area of melted wax on it! I don't know if someone else was shipping a candle and it melted through their luggage on to ours or what?! Luckily, most of it came out. When we got home, I used my iron on low heat and a paper towel to dab most of it up.

disneymom2000
07-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Wow 2 out of 4 times. That percentage is pretty bad. I have been on numerous trips (all over the world) and have never had my luggage wet. Do you feel like that person with the little black cloud hanging over them? I think I would definitely have my luggage shrink wrapped on future trips. I wish you better luck in the future. I would hate to get home with soaked luggage, especially knowing that I pack most of my souvenirs and special pictures in it. I hope it didn't ruin anything really special. :(

DisneyFr33k
07-24-2011, 10:20 AM
The only time our luggage came back a little wet was when we flew to Seattle to drive to Vancouver for the inaugural Disney Wonder Alaksian cruise. Seattle = rain, so it wasn't too much of a shock. But we have been very lucky to not have had rain for the dozen times we've flown to WDW. I guess if you are having bad luck with that, those space bags would work or purchasing hard covered luggage? Stay dry!

texas211
07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
B/w Disney and I travel a lot for work. Happens. Luggage handlers care about you stuff as much as the ... well, you get the idea. Happens. Its the airlines fault, but they won't do anything about it. I spray my luggage with water proofer which helps keep things dryer, longer. But if it sits in the rain for hours... I pack my powerstrip, chargers, etc in water tight bags in my luggage. Figure i can dry everything else.