PDA

View Full Version : cruise line

peter's #1 fan
07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi,
what cruise line does everyone use? I'm sure some people use Disney cruise line but that is out of my budget.

Ian
07-18-2011, 02:06 PM
I've cruised Carnival and NCL. I hated Carnival and would never use them again, although I've heard from folks who have been on their newer boats that they're actually pretty good.

We loved NCL and can't say enough good things about them.

NewDVCowner
07-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I've cruised on Princess and Holland America - both to Alaska so similar trips. They were both nice, but I liked the atmosphere on Princess much better and the future I'll look to them first.

Tink1
07-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I've cruised Carnival and NCL. I hated Carnival and would never use them again, although I've heard from folks who have been on their newer boats that they're actually pretty good.

We loved NCL and can't say enough good things about them.

And I am the opposite. I liked CCL's new ships, but did not like NCL's Freestyle Dining. I also liked Royal Caribbean, and really like Celebrity.

But sometimes I cruise for the Itinerary and other times I cruise for the ship. It all depends on needs.

Nanc

DizneyRox
07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I've been on RCCL and DCL, my better 1/2 has been on Carnival, RCCL and DCL. In terms of the cruises themselves, they were all great, but if you're looking for value, DCL is probably not high on the list.

We spoke a lot with our table mates on my last cruise and they prefer RCCL above all the others they have been on, RCCL, Celebrity, NCL, Holland America, Princess, etc.

I know a few people who just got off (about a month now) a 14 day Panama Canal Cruise without AC aboard a Holland America boat. They met people who were on the 14 day cruise prior to that AND still on that said the AC wasn't working for their whole time (28 days). I won't mention the plumbing problems...

My advice, stick to newer bigger ships for a first time cruise. 7 day with 3 ports is a good start, 5 days with 2 would be nice as well maybe. I was on a 7 day 5 island cruise and needed a vacation after that vacation. We stay aboard many stops now and make our own cruise. You might feel like you're missing something, but not really.

Imalismom
07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
I recently wrote a post in the DCL forum about how to possiblity look for making a DCL cruise a little bit cheaper -

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2188094&postcount=10

There might be something in there that might help put a DCL into your budget someday.

I have cruised DCL and Carnival (out of Galveston, Texas). The Carnival one was just okay - but my DD who was 16 at the time hated it and will never go on Carnival again. I would cruise carnival again, but I am a cruise snob - I HAVE to have a balcony, as a cruise to me is sitting on my balcony on sea days and reading a good book in nothing but peace and quiet. I can get a carnival balcony cabin pretty cheap as they do a military discount to ANYONE who has a DD14 with an honorable discharge. So, as long as I have several good books, and a balcony and lot of sea days, I am good.

That being said - I love DCL and would go at least yearly if I could afford it - children or not.