PDA

View Full Version : DME and luggage

Mitzie
07-17-2011, 07:07 PM
We are looking at a flight for our Oct. trip that would have us getting into MCO at 8:30pm. I know DME will still handle the luggage up until 10:00. With our flight coming in at that hour what
time can we expect to see our luggage that night. We are looking to stay at a value for that night until we move over to the Poly the next morning. Will it still be delivered to our room or will bell service hold it and we have to claim it?

DAWS
07-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Once, we had a flight that arrived at 9:00. They gave us the option at check-in to have the luggage delivered, or they offered to hold it for us until the next morning. This was several years ago, when ME was new, so I can't guarantee that is still the case....

brivers222
07-17-2011, 10:56 PM
I just decided to pick up our own luggage from the turnstiles... then our luggage will be there in our room when we are.

nfrustaci
07-18-2011, 12:31 PM
I just decided to pick up our own luggage from the turnstiles... then our luggage will be there in our room when we are.

:thumbsup: good idea. would hate to have to go down to bell service without brushing my teeth !!!

CleveRocks
07-18-2011, 06:33 PM
would hate to have to go down to bell service without brushing my teeth !!!

Me too! That's why I'd make sure my toothbrush was in my carry-on!

No matter where I fly, I always pack for the first 24 hours in our carry-ons. This has nothing to do with DME ... like I said, I do this whenever I fly anywhere ... it do this because the AIRLINE is more likely to delay your luggage.

It's just self-protective. I can't imagine flying without a carry-on that has my immediate needs in it.

As long as you land before 10 p.m., you can expect your checked luggage to arrive in your room within about 3 hours of resort check-in. If you think you might be asleep at that time, then when you check-in at your resort you should ask them to hold your bags until the morning. I did this a few years ago.

Once the DME bags get to the resort, they are handled my resort cast members and not DME cast members; that's why you should ask for this at the resort and not at the airport.

Anyway, this is the way I did it a few years back, when we flew in just before 10 p.m. We had all of our needs for the night and the next morning in our carry-ons (PJs, allowable toiletries, kids' bedtime buddies, fresh change of clothes for the morning). When I woke up around 6:30 a.m., I called my resort's Bell Services for my bags, and my bags were at my room about 5 minutes later.

No need to tip when this happpens, by the way. The cast member who delivers DME luggage is "tipped" by Disney. It is a special payment called a "GTY" in Disney-speak ... it's a guaranteed payment in lieu of a tip. They do this because when bags are delivered in the daytime, Disney expects you're gonna be out in the parks or at the pool enjoying the start of your vacation, and they're smart enough to know they'd have some very very unhapppy Bell Services CMs if they had to deliver luggage with no hope of getting a tip because the room is probably empty. So, even if you might feel like a cheapskate not tipping when the DME bags are brought to you in the morning, rest assured that the CM doing the delivery knows he/she is getting paid for it ... reportedly, GTYs are highly sought after ... CMs are happy to get a guaranteed tip versus gamble that an actual live guest might stiff them.

Mitzie
07-19-2011, 08:23 AM
So let me know if this plan would work...Our flight gets in at 8 pm. When we check in at Movies, we tell them to hold the luggage. We pack the essentials for the night in our carry on...it is just DH and myself so not too much needed. In the morning we check in with bell service and tell them to send our luggage to the Poly. We take our carry on with us on the regular Disney bus as we make our way over to the Poly for check-in. We are staying club, can we leave our carry on stuff with someone there if our room isn't ready yet? We are assuming it won't be ready because we will be getting there so early, approx. 9 am. After checking in at Poly we were heading to Epcot for the day.

iceicebritney
07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
If you are doing ME, and plan to start out at one hotel and end at another, any suggestions for transportation between?
We are starting at pop and switching to poly. Does ME offer service between the hotels?
Renting a car is not an option, so other than a wdw bus to a park to poly, or a taxi, what have others done?

KAT1811
07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
So let me know if this plan would work...Our flight gets in at 8 pm. When we check in at Movies, we tell them to hold the luggage. We pack the essentials for the night in our carry on...it is just DH and myself so not too much needed. In the morning we check in with bell service and tell them to send our luggage to the Poly. We take our carry on with us on the regular Disney bus as we make our way over to the Poly for check-in. We are staying club, can we leave our carry on stuff with someone there if our room isn't ready yet? We are assuming it won't be ready because we will be getting there so early, approx. 9 am. After checking in at Poly we were heading to Epcot for the day.

That would probably work but. . . I personally wouldn't chance it. Could be confusing and would hate to have the Poly people return your luggage by mistake to the Movies (since the DME tags will say "Movies") I would just collect your bags at Movies, grab a taxi to the Poly with your luggage and store it all together at Poly's Bell Services until your Poly room is ready (assuming it isn't ready when you arrive). That way you know your bags are already at the right resort. I would remove the DME tags as well.

Just my :twocents: :mickey:

Mitzie
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
KAT1811- Thanks for the suggestions. Any one know what cab fare would run for two people from All Starts to the Poly?

KAT1811
07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
We have never payed more than $20 for a cab ride in Disney. Typically more like $10-$15. We usually go in-between resorts via cab. If you ask at check in they should be able to give you a general idea what to expect

CleveRocks
07-21-2011, 05:11 PM
That would probably work but. . . I personally wouldn't chance it. Could be confusing and would hate to have the Poly people return your luggage by mistake to the Movies (since the DME tags will say "Movies") I would just collect your bags at Movies, grab a taxi to the Poly with your luggage and store it all together at Poly's Bell Services until your Poly room is ready (assuming it isn't ready when you arrive). That way you know your bags are already at the right resort. I would remove the DME tags as well.

Just my :twocents: :mickey:
I very respectfully but very strongly disagree. There's no risk involved. At Movies, they could go to their own bags and physically remove the DME tags, to make sure no such mix-up occurs. Besides, bags that are being transferred between resorts get their own type of tag just for that purpose.

I think what was proposed is a 100% excellent plan ... a good use of Disney resources and a good use of precious vacation time.

CleveRocks
07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
If you are doing ME, and plan to start out at one hotel and end at another, any suggestions for transportation between?
We are starting at pop and switching to poly. Does ME offer service between the hotels?
Renting a car is not an option, so other than a wdw bus to a park to poly, or a taxi, what have others done?

Your easiest way will be bus from Pop to Magic Kingdom, and then monorail to Poly. It'll be a very simple trip.

Disney's Magical Express exists only to transport people between their resort and the airport ... it does not provide inter-resort transportation.

Sure, you could spend $20+ on a taxi and spending that may be very well worth it to you. But if it were me, I'd save the bucks unless I was in a huge rush.

But here's another thought ...
Have Pop transfer ALL of your luggage (suitcases and carry-ons) to Polynesian. Plan to go to Magic Kingdom that day. From Pop, take the MK bus and then go into MK. When you're through with MK for the day, or when you feel like taking a break, take the monorail or boat "back" to Poly and check-in and enjoy your new home. [NOTE: This won't work if you need to check-in at Poly before going to MK for things like park tickets or dining credits or anything like that.]