PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I've lost my mind?

tinksmom02
07-17-2011, 02:01 PM
We have a WDW trip planned for Nov. but I've been poking around, trying to find a shorter trip for DD & I for the end of the summer. This led me to Universal. A three-night stay at one of the "onsite" hotels is not exorbitant, neither is airfare, surprisingly. Would love to take advantage of an Intercot sponsor, so would hire Quicksilver for transport to& from airport. And I just discovered that I can cash in rewards points for tix to Universal--I have enough for 2 days for each of us!

However, it would be the end of August--what are crowds like then? We'd be down there just before the Labor Day weekend, Tues through Fri. I know the heat will be oppressive, but we've done Disney in Sept so we know what to expect.

And I have NEVER expressed an interest to see Universal before--and we are NOT Harry Potter fans (would that make us Muggles, or non-Muggles?) so that section would hold little meaning for us.

And, last but not least, am I completely bonkers for even considering a trip like this, especially when we have a WDW trip coming up so soon? We've done closer-to-home trips recently, so it's not like we haven't gone anywhere. Any suggestions at all--including how I can tell DH that this trip is needed LOL--would be greatly appreciated!

MizMissy
07-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Go for it!
A Universal trip is completely different from a WDW trip. We had a Universal trip in May and I thought I would miss Disney and be itching to drive across town for a Disney fix. (I posted exhaustive trip reports in this section ... sorry, I will warn you ahead of time that I am verbose.) We had so much fun, it really never crossed my mind I was so close!
If you are staying on-site, with unlimited express pass, you will have easy access to all the rides numerous times (except for Forbidden Journey in IOA and Rip Ride Rockit at US that do not accept fast pass, but if you hit those first thing in the morning, you should be able to ride those rides several times if you so choose).
I also think that the end of August - after Florida schools and lots of other schools are back in session - should not be crowded like mid-summer. Staying on property, the hotels are a short walk or boat ride away and it is very easy to tour the parks in the morning and go back to the hotel to enjoy pool time in the afternoon. Another great thing, there are several great wet rides at IOA (Bluto's Barges, Jurassic Park and Dudley Do-Right Falls), we would return to the hotel, let the kids put on their swimsuits and walk back to IOA to let them ride water rides over and over. Then, it was an easy return trip to the hotel to change so as not to walk around in wet clothes all day.

Also, lots of shopping and restuarants to enjoy at Citywalk.

Universal can get a bad rap from lots of true Disney fans, but if you go into it with the idea that it's not Disney, it is different, you can really enjoy it. You did not mention if you were thrill ride fans. To me and my kids, they loved the rides at Universal more than Disney, Universal has just that added extra thrill to their rides. Their shows at US also lots of fun, we really enjoyed Disaster and Twister. Jaws is corny but fun. Shrek 4D is really well done also. We missed the Horror Make Up show, but our friends said it was really good too.

I think you tell your husband that it may be in the same town as Disney, but it's not the same trip. If the costs are comparable to other short trips, I say do it. You won't regret it. The Universal hotels are also top notch. We stayed at Hard Rock and loved it. The pool was fabulous. Lots of activities going on. There was a Starbucks in the hotel for a nice cup of coffee in the morning. It was less than 5 minute walk to Universal Studios and City Walk.

Enjoy your trip.

tinksmom02
07-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, Karen! Like I've said, I've never considered Universal, so I don't think I knew it was that close to the hotels. I did read about the water rides--nice to know we'd be that close to get back and change. So transportation wouldn't really be an issue, right? I'd do the town car to/from the airport and rely on Universal transportation--I expect it won't be as great as Disney's, but I also get the sense that Universal isn't nearly as large as WDW.

We do like thrill rides, although DD doesn't like loopy roller coasters. I think the reason we've never done Universal is because the draw of Disney is too strong. But if we did a trip just to Universal knowing a Disney trip wasn't that far away, we'd have a really great time.

Convincing DH is/will be the hard part.

MizMissy
07-17-2011, 04:57 PM
We drove to Universal so we had a car available, but we only left property one night for dinner. And, it was only because my DH was set on leaving that we left, there were plenty of options to stay on site.
We always drive to WDW because we have to have a car. It is essential. My DH has no patience for Disney transport (buses, monorails, or boats) and I hate buses because of motion sickness.
I realized at Universal, we could easily fly into Orlando and never need a car once we were on Universal property. Hard Rock is an easy walk to the parks and City Walk. There are boats available and also 3 wheel bike transports, but we only used a boat once just to try it because it really wasn't necessary. I'm not sure where the other hotels are located, Hard Rock may be the closest (at least to US) but they can't be far away. Others may be able to give you a better idea. You can find maps on the internet showing the whole Universal property including hotels.
Also, no need for dining reservations. You may have waits at places, but nothing like Disney where they turn people away without reservations.

tinksmom02
07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
More great info! And I loved your trip report, very detailed! I'm still tossing it around (read: trying to work up the courage to tell DH!), but I think this really would be the way for us to go.

tinksmom02
07-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Another question: I'm only getting 2 day park passes. If we're there 3 nights (3 full days, our flight home would be early), is there enough to keep us entertained for that extra, non-park day? DD will only be 9, so it's not like I can take her clubbing LOL

LisaP
07-20-2011, 01:57 AM
No, you are not crazy. I say this with authority because I am doing the same exact thing :blush:

We just got back from WDW early May, and I have convinced DH that this great idea for August ... a trip to FL with a mix of Universal and MK is comparable to a week at the Jersey shore!

We will be there the same week as you. I am planning 2 days at MK, 2 days at US/IoA and a day at Sea World. I am really looking forward to Universal, although I am a Disney girl at heart :mickey:

Come on ... choke up the nerve and tell DH! You can do it! :thumbsup: HAVE FUN!

tinksmom02
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, Lisa! I was originally looking to drive somewhere just for a weekend, but the prices I was getting for, say, two nights in Baltimore are pretty comparable to three nights at Universal (and less mileage on my car!).

I don't think I'd be able to do what you're doing, though, and split a trip with Disney & Universal. I can't have Disney on the table at all, if I want to enjoy Universal. & I'm actually looking forward to this trip almost as much as our November Disney trip--it'll all be new for us!

MizMissy
07-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Another question: I'm only getting 2 day park passes. If we're there 3 nights (3 full days, our flight home would be early), is there enough to keep us entertained for that extra, non-park day? DD will only be 9, so it's not like I can take her clubbing LOL

We had 4 day multiple park passes. We spent lots of time at the parks and a lot of time at the pool. HRH had lots of kids activities at the pool. However, I wished we would have had a day off in the middle just to hang out at the hotel. We really did not take any time to walk around CityWalk or even explore our hotel because we were at the parks so much (my kids can ride rides over and over and over). So, I think you should have enough to keep you entertained the third day, but I know if it was my group, we would have to buy the 3rd day pass to be able to have more ride time.

tinksmom02
07-20-2011, 08:45 AM
We had 4 day multiple park passes. We spent lots of time at the parks and a lot of time at the pool. HRH had lots of kids activities at the pool. However, I wished we would have had a day off in the middle just to hang out at the hotel. We really did not take any time to walk around CityWalk or even explore our hotel because we were at the parks so much (my kids can ride rides over and over and over). So, I think you should have enough to keep you entertained the third day, but I know if it was my group, we would have to buy the 3rd day pass to be able to have more ride time.

Thanks! I'm thinking that arrival day will be spent at the hotel, swimming, and perhaps checking out CityWalk. Another question: I'd read elsewhere that you can pool hop if you're staying at 1 of the 3 resorts. True?

Oh! And how strict are they with no bags on the rides? My purse is a crossbody bag (large enough to hold my camera and stuff), will I have to rent a locker?

NJGIRL
07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Oh! And how strict are they with no bags on the rides? My purse is a crossbody bag (large enough to hold my camera and stuff), will I have to rent a locker?

That will not be allowed on many of the rides, FJ comes to mind. If a ride doesn't allow you to take it lockers are free, but beware, only for a certain number of minutes, after that you are charged. We put my camera bag in the locker and went directly into the FJ line. As soon as we got off of the ride I went back to the locker and we were over the alotted time and had to pay for the locker. Don't try to get in line and "sneak" your bag on because when they see it you must get out of line and walk all the way back to the lockers and start in line all over again.

My suggestion, if possible, travel light. It avoids time spent getting lockers.

tinksmom02
07-20-2011, 04:49 PM
That will not be allowed on many of the rides, FJ comes to mind. If a ride doesn't allow you to take it lockers are free, but beware, only for a certain number of minutes, after that you are charged. We put my camera bag in the locker and went directly into the FJ line. As soon as we got off of the ride I went back to the locker and we were over the alotted time and had to pay for the locker. Don't try to get in line and "sneak" your bag on because when they see it you must get out of line and walk all the way back to the lockers and start in line all over again.

My suggestion, if possible, travel light. It avoids time spent getting lockers.

This is the part that really confuses me. I'm the type of person that has to have some kind of bag, at least to hold a water & sunscreen, & ponchos in event of a shower (likely in August). If you were to rent a locker for the day, I'm assuming it's just one locker in one location, not that you can have A locker outside of each ride? I can't see having to schlep back and forth when I need something out of my purse (and what about my camera? How am I supposed to get any pictures if it's locked in a locker all day?) Ugh, sorry for all the questions, this is just a really weird point for me. Would a smaller bag be OK--or what about a (gasp!) fanny pack?

Mfarquar
07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
As NJGirl explained, Universal is really strict about items on rides. I'm inclined to think that they do not want to be responsible for items that are lost. They have some more daring rides at Universal, so lost items due to tend to be a frequent problem.

Many rides REQUIRE that you do not have any bags (they are now enforcing that wristlets that are attached/banded to your wrist like a bracelet are removed also). If it doesn't fit in your pocket, you will not be allowed on the ride, no matter how long you waited in line.

So, Universal has put a set of lockers outside ANY ride that prohibits bags. The locker is free for the length of the posted line, plus about 10 minutes or so (sometimes longer). You can put your bag in there before each ride. You will get a receipt with a locker number and a time limit. Most lockers reopen by you punching in your locker number and by you scanning your fingerprint. Make sure you retrieve your items before the time limit is up or you will be charged by the 1/2 hour.

We usually keep our sunglasses in these lockers for roller coasters, since they don't easily fit in lockers and we don't want to smash them in our pockets.

What we usually do is keep a couple bucks in our pocket just in case we forget to take our stuff out in time. It's pretty hard to do, but it happens from time to time if you're not paying attention or decide to ride the ride several times in a row. Usually, we can get away with riding a ride with no line 2x in a row without retrieving our stuff. If we want to ride again after that, we just simply take our stuff out and activate a new one (still free).

Here are rides that I can remember that prohibit bags but have free lockers. I'm sure other posters can add on to my list :) :

-Men In Black
-The Mummy
-Hollywood Rip Ride and Rockit
- Harry Potter FJ
- The Hulk
-Dudley Do Right (I'm pretty sure)
- Dragon Challenge - These 2 coasters are inverted, so no flip flops either. You can obviously have flip flops, but you'll have to take them off and sit on them (surprisingly not uncomfortable). Otherwise, they could fly off while you ride (or so they claim). I never mind sitting on them because clenched toes to keep shoes on a ride is never much fun! :)

There are some rides with bags/baskets/other methods of stashing yourself on the ride:

- Spiderman has cargo bags
- Popeye has a dry bin (use it! you'll get soaked)
- Simpsons allows you to leave your stuff on the floor.
- Disaster!, Jaws, Shrek, Twister, Terminator, Poseidon's Adventure, and some others don't care.
- I seem to remember being allowed to leave stuff in a basket or on the floor for Dr. Doom's Freefall.

You can also get a locker for about $10-12 bucks for the day (depending on size) that you can enter and re-enter throughout the day. These are located at the front of the park (to the left when entering) near the restrooms. We use these when we know we're going to change out of bathing suits mid-day. Or, when we're staying late for Halloween Horror Nights. They're good for long-term storage, but a pain to go back and forth to.

As NJGirl said, pack light! Universal and Islands of Adventure don't have a ton of shade, especially the latter. There's a lot of walking in store, so it helps not to have to lug too much around. I can usually fit sunblock sticks and mini tubes in my pocket and that helps a lot. Then you can use the small free lockers outside certain rides to store the rest :)

It's not as bad as it sounds - its actually pretty convenient because it's more comfy on the ride and you don't have to worry about losing your stuff.

tinksmom02
07-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Mfarquar, thank you for this level of detail :blush: and for clearing things up for me. I can see that some of the rides with the free lockers won't even be an issue for us, as DD refuses to do loopy coasters.

My biggest issue is that most of my capris are pocket-less...will have to figure something out LOL

I would love to be one of those people who gets to go through the bagless security lines at park entrances, but with a kid, I just don't see how that's possible. I'm glad to know that the free lockers are pretty reasonable, time-wise.

Thanks again!

Mfarquar
07-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Glad it was helpful!

We never make it without something as well. Usually an all day locker for bathing suit stuff and I always have a wristlet with ID, ticket, any meds and sunblock. I usually make my poor husband STUFF it in his cargo short pockets for certain rides. My shorts never have enough room!

Have a great time!!

tinksmom02
07-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your advice and suggestions over the past few days! I finally worked up the nerve to tell DH and am headed over to Spirit to book airfare now!

Please continue to share any Universal tips and secrets--I'm so excited for this!!

MizMissy
07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Yay!! I'm so glad you are going. I really hope you enjoy it.

I know it's difficult thinking of "packing light" in the parks. It threw me a bit also because we are backpack people when we tour (parks, cities, etc.) with our kids. However, I was determined not to stand in line for lockers. I bought a small Vera Bradley zip case - just big enough to put my iphone inside, the park tickets, credit cards, and a few bandaids. It had slots inside for credit cards and a zipped side for coins. Also, one side had a clear pouch for my room key. It had a wristlet and I purchased a lanyard for it. It was small enough to put in my pocket on rides, although I wrapped the lanyard around my wrist to keep it secure -- there are some rides that things can fall out of your pockets. Instead of bringing my camera, I used my phone as my camera on this trip. The lanyard was useful also on a day when I did not have pockets, I put the bag around my neck and tucked it inside my shirt during the ride.

Honestly, with the hotel being so close to the parks, I did not miss or need the backpack. I have to say, it was very freeing to not feel like the pack mule for the trip.:thumbsup:

Also (as was recommended to me from fellow intercotees before my trip) whatever you choose to do about using a locker, I highly recommend purchasing lanyards for you and your daughter for your room keys. You have to show your room key for the express pass line - and usually multiple times during the same line. It was nice not to dig around in purse or pockets for the keys and essential for my kids because they rode so many rides without us (like when they would ride 5 or 6 times in row). I found cheap lanyards and clear plastic cases for the kids at a local teacher supply place.

Another tip: like Disney, if you stay on-site, most of the Universal vendors and shops, including some of the CityWalk restuarants, let you use your room key to charge purchases.

tinksmom02
07-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the tips! DH is usually the pack mule on trips, but since he's not going, it'll be me this time around, and I'm determined to pack less than he carried.

There are only 3 locker-required rides from the list that Mfarquar posted that I think we'll be going on, so I'm not sure it'll really be that much of an issue, anyway. I can probably get it down to a pretty small bag, but I'll still need something (and I really prefer my camera over my camera for pictures.)

I do like the idea of a lanyard, though...we have tons of Disney ones, will just have to find a plastic case for tickets. Thanks!

Mfarquar
07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
You're going to LOVE staying on property. I really feel as though it is more relaxing than Disney. Not better, just different.

As previously mentioned, your room key will let you skip the lines for everything but HP and Hollywood Rip Ride and Rockit. It allows you to fly through the park if you want and also re-do things you love.

Personally, I have only visited in August once, and multiple times in September and November. I have never needed a reservation for anywhere I want to eat. It's very easy to walk to everything (and there are boats, too, if you prefer). There are also rickshaw carts that offer free rides - BUT you must give the pusher a nice tip - it's their only source of profit.

There are some really good restaurants, particularly at CityWalk. CityWalk is definitely more adult than DTD, but still nice. The food is great at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville (killer burgers) and Hard Rock is also fun. Latin Quarter is great on weeknights for a slightly more adult dinner. If you're feeling a teeny bit adventurous, Bob Marley's is pretty darn good too!

We love Finnegan's Irish Pub at Universal Studios for a sit-down meal.

I have heard Mythos at Islands of Adventure is great for a sit-down meal, but I have never tried it.

For quick food - We love Blondie's for sandwiches at Cartoon Lagoon at IoA. Pastamore is great for a quick, hot breakfast on CityWalk on your way into the parks, Nathan's at Universal, Beverly Hills Boulangerie at Universal, Thunder Falls Terrace at Jurassic Park at IoA.

You can also do a breakfast at HP land at Three Broomsticks, but make sure you make a reservation for this first - it will save you a LOT of $$$ (more expensive for walk-ins).

Places we DO NOT like: Louie's at the Studios, International Cafe at the Studios, Circus McGurkus at IoA, and Richter's Burger at the Studios.

We do not think the meal deal is worth it because we're not a fan of the limited quick service restaurants on the list and we don't need to eat that much :)

I'll try to think of more tips! :)

tinksmom02
07-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the great tips! I've already decided against the dining plan--I think that with the hot weather, DD & I will probably be sharing a lot of meals. Looking forward to exploring CityWalk, although I thought there'd be more shopping. There are a lot of places I'd like to try there, but we're kind of fond of Bubba Gump, and don't get there too often, so that might be on our list. :blush:

I think JUST doing Universal will go a long way towards remembering that it's not better or worse than Disney, just different. I'm so looking forward to it!

Oh! And I ordered the park passes from my credit card's rewards system on Wednesday night, and they arrived TODAY. Awesome service!

Disney OB RN
07-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Mythos is wonderful!!!