PDA

View Full Version : renting points

cfoshe
07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I am not a DVC member yet, but hope to be one of these years. Is it allowed to rent/buy someones points that is a current DVC if they are not going to use them? If it is allowed, what would be the best site or contact in order to check into it?

DizneyRox
07-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Probably the TimeShare Store sponsor... Currently going for about @ 12 a point I think.

cfoshe
07-16-2011, 11:20 AM
one reason I ask, I was doing some research on this and found some comments where vacations were supposedly canceled because the points were rented out which might not be allowed, or is not allowed per the contracts.

DizneyRox
07-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I've never done it, but in reading the DVC contract I can see where it's prohibited. I think the intent is to stop people from ALWAYS renting out their points, vs the occasional occurance.

It's buyer beware, but many many times it works out just fine...

disneymom15
07-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I believe our salesperson told us that it is allowable.

cfoshe
07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
I have found a couple of website that handles the transactions and would love to use this but I do not want to take a chance of losing my money and vacation if it is not allowed. I know that other time share will allow you to rent out your points because you bought them and they are yours to do what you want with them. But it boils down to what the contract says.

DizneyRox
07-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Let me rephrase that..

I can see where in the contract people interpret the renting of points as being prohibited, but I know you can also make reservations with your points for other people.

Renting Vacation Point Restriction

Use of Vacation Homes for commercial purposes or any purpose other than described is expressly prohibited. Commercial purpose includes a pattern of rental activity or other occupancy by a Member that the Board of the Condominium Association, in it's reasonable discretion, could conclude constitutes a commercial enterprise or practice.

They go on to provide examples, that state is a contract makes 20 reservations in one year in other's people's name is probably doing it for commercial purposes, but someone who's only doing it twice is likely not.

The problem is, you don't know what the owner of the points is doing, you don't know how many they have, how often they are "renting", and acutally even if they are making the reservation. Member services only talks to the members, NOT people on the reservation.

So, it's OK to rent points to others, provided you are not breaking the vague rules of renting points.

Pirate Granny
07-16-2011, 06:30 PM
We rented points for this March for a Grand Villa at Old Key West. It was a leap of faith, as it was $7,000 for the reservation. Nice person, and it worked out fine. So fine, that we recently purchased our own points (resale, not from Disney).

Will we rent points, probably not as we tend to travel to Disney and will need them for own use.

Our rental person had quite a few points at different resorts, so would assume he is close to being commercial.

I've rent points for two other stays, one night at BCV and three nights at VWL. All great people and worked out well.

KAT1811
07-21-2011, 01:42 PM
I too am thinking about renting points for our next trip but am a little scared. I have never heard of a reservation being cancelled but am a little nervous that such a thing could happen. What to do, what to do?

TheDuckRocks
07-22-2011, 08:58 AM
What to do, what to do?

Check out the Intercot sponsor The Timeshare Store.

Tinkerbella16
08-24-2011, 09:54 PM
We will be renting points for our November trip for 2012 for the first time.. and first time ever staying at a dvc. I have been doing my research. But luckily I am renting from a very good friend of mine that I work with. His family won't be going next year so he is renting me his points at a great price. I just cant wait for April to get here so I can book in the 7 month window. Hopefully we won't have a problem getting a 1 bdrm at BLT!! :mickey: