PDA

View Full Version : Calling other Chicagoans, or Chicago lovers -- a question!

Aurora
07-13-2011, 08:13 PM
I have lived in this city for a big chunk of my life, but I am having a hard time with this quest, and maybe someone out there can tell me where to look.

I absolutely love quaint little spots where you can sit and people watch outside. Maybe a little cafe or corner spot, but what I'm REALLY looking for is someplace that feels European. As in, something like a narrow cobblestone street, or just a pedestrian-only lane that has shops, restaurants, etc. OK, OK, maybe someplace that feels like the World Showcase's France, Germany, United Kingdom or Italy. Chicago's Old Town used to be more like this, but it's really overdeveloped now and has lost its charm. Maybe Hyde Park?

You'd think in a city this big and cosmopolitan I'd have already found it, but no. So I'm asking if any of my Intercot friends, either Chicagoans or anyone who's found such a spot in a visit, can help. Any ideas?

Katzateer
07-13-2011, 08:52 PM
What is the park named that is near the American Girl place where you can get a buggy ride and the old WaterTower is there? It has benches and trees and is good for people watching.

brownie
07-13-2011, 08:56 PM
There's gotta be some places around or in Lincoln Square. I know there are some cafes and other places with outdoor seating around Welles Park.

UCJen
07-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Have you ever gone to the University of Chicago campus and walk around the quads?

My son said it looks like Hogwarts and I think it looks like Oxford. It's really lovely in the summer. There are a few places on campus to get coffee and sit outside.

I don't know if that is what you had in mind...

Aurora
07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Steve, I didn't even think of Lincoln Square. It does have a nice little courtyard next to Cafe Selmarie -- it didn't occur to me because I'm rarely there in the summer; I only seem to visit in the winter. :blush:

Jen, I will check on the U of C campus. It is in Hyde Park and I've always wanted to explore around there. I have a few books on the Columbian Exposition and the whole area is fascinating, and of course the university campus does have that gothic English flair. It's probably beautiful in the fall.

Kat, I don't know what the name of that little park is -- it has to have a name, right? It is fun and great for people-watching (and right by Ghirardelli and Hershey :thumbsup:). I'm looking for something with a little less vehicle traffic nearby.