PDA

View Full Version : DVC and Cruising

susie & perla's mom
07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
We've been to Disneyworld multiple times and is booked for our 4th Disney cruise for spring break of next year. For the first time, we talked to a DVC representative. At first, we thought it was a great program but then, all four of us (me, hubby and 2 DD's ages 8 & 12) enjoy cruising more than the theme parks. I am right that joining DVC is not for us?

hel5165
07-14-2011, 09:18 AM
We've been DVC members since 1993. For 7 years we had free park passes and that pretty much paid for the DVC membership. However, the free passes have disappeared and the perks are slowly disappearing. Would I buy DVC again -- NO.

For one thing the free dining is not available unless you book a hotel/pass pkg. Lots of cheaper deals available throughout the year too. Now if you are a deluxe room kind of person then you would enjoy the DVC resorts. To me a room is a room as long as it's clean. Pop Century has a terrific housekeeping staff; better than the DVC resorts.

The Adventure Tours are outrageously priced. I'm sure they are 1st class all the way for service but are they worth all that money? I don't think so and we've taken many tours over the years for a lot less money.

People have also complained about the RCI hookup -- not being able to get the reservations they want.

Lots of things to consider.

DizneyRox
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
The point cost for cruises is NOT a set amount. It can and will and does change, so whatever you buy now to cover a cruise will not always cover a cruise.

Stay away if you plan to use your points the majority of the time at NON DVC properties. Even a small minority of the time really eliminates the value of the program.

iloveokw
07-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Best thing we ever did was to buy DVC. However, it is not a good value if you just want to cruise. We have used our points for cruises a couple of time, but just because we had extra points. There is no guarantee that DVC'ers will always be able to book cruises with points. This year had a large "blackout" time frame that we could not use our points to cruise.

Jeffybob
07-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I agree with iloveokw, I too am happy with my DVC purchase but I do not use points for cruises. The conversion does not work well unless you have extra points to burn.

Also, the purpose of purchasing with the DVC was to visit WDW to secure lodgings at yesterday's dollars and to that end, it has paid for it's self over and over again.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2010 - BWV - Valentine's Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

Christine
07-18-2011, 06:59 PM
I've just booked our second cruise on points- INCENTIVE points that we got from purchasing & again adding on. Don't feel bad at all doing it. My thinking- spend $7k for my family to go in a cruise once, or spend that $7k and get incentive points for said cruise AND another 50 years of vacations! :)

My point- if you're considering DVC anyway, and a cruise, spend the cash on DVC, see what kinda deals are out there with incentive points or free cruises!