PDA

View Full Version : Teppan Edo etiquette.

SusieQ
07-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Eating at Teppan Edo last week we shared a table with an American family. Our chef Ken was fabulous, very talented and entertaining and when he'd finished preparing our dinner each of the American children gave him a dollar bill. I'd always assumed that our tip would be shared between the chef, server, busboy etc etc but maybe I'm wrong :blush: A dollar isn't exactly a tip but I did wonder if I was missing some sort of etiquette?

Dulcee
07-13-2011, 07:41 AM
At other hibachi restaurants its customary for the chef to share from the tips that you leave for the waitress/waiter. If we have a really amazing meal, something above and beyond (this has only happened twice that I can think of) we leave extra for the chef, otherwise we leave our normal 20% on the bill.

retiredfigment
07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Perhaps the parents left the traditional tip on the bill and allowed the children to give a dollar each as their way of thank you. And if on dining plan, aren't tips automatically added now?

lylone
07-13-2011, 08:27 AM
On the DDP tips are no longer automatically included since our last visit in May. You have to either charge it or pay cash separately. This was changed sometime between the three years we visited Disney on the DDP.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I always just leave a decent tip for the server and assume they share...my son though likes to occassionally tip the sushi and hibachi chefs and will give them dollars...it was probably just something the little boys wanted to do

brivers222
07-13-2011, 11:06 AM
When we go to our local Habatchi... Miyako's (LOVE IT) we always slip the chef a $5 when he is done.

I can never guarantee how much they actually get from what I leave on the bill... and lets be honest, out of all the people working on my dinner THEY worked the hardest.

Is it customary? No. but I like to show them my appreciation. And heck we go back a lot and when we get the same chef, he gives us extra fried rice and noodles now :)

So it's WIN WIN

dizneydeb22
07-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I never thought of doing that! We go to Teppan Edo everytime we're in Disney. Some chef's are better than other's and we usually reflect that in the standard tip. Thanks for the idea!!

TheRustyScupper
07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
1) If the chef is especially entertaining
. . . an extra tip is warranted
. . . usually 10% of the bill, or $10-$20
2) We end up tipping extra about 1-out-of-10 times.