PDA

View Full Version : Disney shipping costs and souveniers

mickey_M_lvr
07-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Greetings everyone. My wife and I are going to WDW for a week in Sept for our 10 yr wedding anniversary. Because 1) it is our anniversary and 2) school is in session... we elected to leave the 8 year old home with the grandparents. There is starting to be some guilty feelings of leaving him at home. I had thought that it might be neat to do some shopping on the day we arrive and then have Disney box up and ship them home in care of our son so that he has a package arrive that he can open and contains some stuff for him.

I am sure that people have tried this and was wondering what kind of costs there are involved with this?

I was also wondering if people could respond back and let me know what they have done for family members especially children that were not taken along. This is the first trip we have taken where the child was left at home and I know he will be upset when he figures out we are going without him.

disneymom15
07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I've shipped perfume home once. It cost about $20 to ship a small package, and not to mention, I was probably home a full week before it arrived. My mother in law shipped a Cinderellas Castle globe home, it cost her about $25 and she didn't receive it until about 2 weeks after she was home. Not sure if you can upgrade to next day or 2 day delivery. If you can I'm sure it would be pricy.

Bethis26fan
07-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Could you do the flat rate boxes and bring it with you?

gauvin4
07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I, too, have shipped a package home and I received it at least 1 week after being home. I think the cost was around $20.00.

Clay Ransone
07-12-2011, 04:16 PM
What about getting a FedEx account before you leave and packing a box and airbill? You should be able to get a few shirts and other stuff in the box for little man and get it there pretty quickly. You probably would want to ask at the hotel about a FedEx pickup before going just to make sure that FedEx comes to see them.

magicofdisney
07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
You could shop from disneystore.com. They sometimes offer free shipping based on order price. They carry items that are sold in the parks. You could order just before you leave so that it delivers while you're gone. :mickey:

DizneyRox
07-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Shipping costs are based on the value of the items, not weight like you would expect. A $500 ring would cost more to ship that the huge $50 Cinderelaa Castle playset, which make no sense to me.

I have done the flat rate boxes with success, however there may now be rules on the USPS accepting them. I left mine with the front desk with the postage on there, etc, and when it arrived it was stamped all over to transport it via ground only, do not fly, etc. I assume it was because they couldn't validate who was shipping it.

The cheapest/fastest is to bring it home with you. I now only ship when the contents are breakable and I want to guarantee it arrives at my home in one piece.

I think shipping is now considered a revenue stream rather than a guest service. A CM CaptainKessicaSparrow posted info about this a few years ago. You can use I more like a guideline rather than a code. It should give you an idea of the outrageousness of the shipping charges. They have surely gone up quite a bit since she posted them.

mickey_M_lvr
07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. We may try the flat rate boxes. It's gotta be cheaper than $20 for perfume! :eek:

All in info was greatly appreciated!