PDA

View Full Version : Walking to the parks

Dreamflight
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
If I stay off-site and want to walk from my hotel to a theme park, will they let me walk through the parking lot gate? Is there any way to enter on foot or would I have to go somewhere else first (like a Disney resort) and take the bus to one of the parks?
Last time I flew down and arrived in the afternoon and wanted to hit the parks. The hotel shuttle was done for the day so I took a taxi but that was a bad experience. I'd love to be able to walk but looking at the maps, Disney doesn't appear to be a walker-friendly area.

MOJoe
07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
If you were to stay at a Downtown Disney Hotel, you could walk there and catch a bus. But beyond that, it would certainly be impractical and maybe impossible. Really, it's difficult to walk to any of the parks unless you are staying at a resort which is "next door."

Better stick with the shuttle or a cab.

joonyer
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
There are no sidewalks at WDW except around DTD. Getting to the parks is definitely not walking friendly. And it's a long haul from anywhere off-site.

faline
07-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I can't imagine how long it would take you to walk to any park from an offsite location. I think you'll need either a rental car or rethink staying offsite.

arm00leg
07-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Yikes! You would have to walk miles just to get each park - then all that walking at the parks. Whew, I'm exhausted just typing about it,:medic: I suggest a shuttle or stay in a Disney hotel. The Beach Club is a great location for walking over to Epcot or MGM, and the boardwalk.

DizneyRox
07-13-2011, 04:50 AM
By the time you got to a park, it would be time to turn around again and head home.

As others have said, rethink staying off-site or wait until you can afford to put some mechanize (motorized preferably) transportation onto your budget.

I walk everywhere I possibly can at WDW, but to a park, from my hotel is one place I leave to the experts, or I should say... licensed drivers.

Scar
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
If you are staying at the Bonnet Creek Resort, you can walk to Epcot and DHS.

DisneyDINK
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
I have been on the hunt for some decent running routes and I've encountered the same issues. WDW really isn't set up for walking to or from just about anything.

You CAN walk from the Contemporary/BLT to the MK. You can walk from the WL to FW. You can walk from Epcot to DHS and all of the resorts in between (BW, YC/BC, Swan, Dolphin). You can walk from the GF to the Poly and TTC. As a resuly these are the running routes I use when I stay on property.

Sadly, you can't walk (or run) from Epcot to the MK, well I guess you can 1 day a year, the Marathon in January. There just isn't pedestrian access throughout most of the property.

brivers222
07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
yeah, parks just aren't open long enough to allow walking from park to park....

When you say offsite, where are you referring?

On international drive our offsite hotel was a 15 min drive going 50mph.