PDA

View Full Version : Validating Beverage System to Begin at Disney Resort Hotels

Figment!
07-11-2011, 03:10 PM
The Walt Disney World resort has begun to implement new validating soft drink beverage systems at its Resort Hotels.

Guests use the new beverage system by pushing their cup or mug against a lever arm located below the soft drink dispenser.

The new dispensers will only provide the selected soft drink if:
1) You are using a disposable cup recently purchased from the food court.
2) You are using a refillable mug purchased during your stay at the resort.

If neither of these types of vessels are used, the new dispenser will provide water instead of the selected soft drink.

The first deployment has been at the End Zone Food Court in Disney's All-Star Sports hotel and will reportedly be rolled-out to all Disney-owned resort hotels by the end of the year.

The new beverage systems are reportedly made by ValidFill. The company describes their technology as RFID based and is capable of storing such information as Cup Size (in Ounces), Date Purchased, Location Purchased, and Time of Last Use into refillable mugs or in a tag that can be placed on disposable cups.

Strmchsr
07-11-2011, 03:10 PM
A "hot" topic here on Intercot and across Disney fanboards for years has been the refillable mugs. We all know that you purchase the mugs and they are for length of stay only. However, I, like I'm sure many of you, have seen guests bringing back mugs from years past and even filling up from the soda fountain with mugs not even related to Disney. All of this cheating the system has caused Disney to finally do what was long rumored - they have installed digital machines.

The machines are already in AS Sports (which, given the number of teenagers and sports teams staying here makes sense. They, unfortunately, tend to be the least likely to follow the rules) and are rumored to be going into the other All Stars and Pop soon. If the trial runs are successful at the values, they'll probably go in at least at the moderates. I haven't heard anything about the deluxe resorts.

I've seen pics of the machines installed at Sports, so this isn't a rumor. I have no idea exactly how the machines work, and it seems other guests are confused, too (though one of my CM friends did note the satisfaction he's gotten from seeing the look on the faces of people carrying in huge bladder buckets that have nothing to do with the refillable mugs and finding they can no longer get "free" drinks). The basic way I'm told the system works is the refillable mug has a chip in it that expires after x amount of time (probably the day after you check out or something). The machine will dispense a set amount of soda for a certain time, then nothing for 5 min or so. I guess this is to prevent people from buying 1 mug and then filling up a bunch more by holding the sensor near the machine. It sounds complicated, so we'll have to see if Disney simplifies things, sticks with it, or scraps the idea. Given how they've gone overboard on squeezing out every penny from guests recently I doubt we'll see them scrap the idea.

Now, I'm not saying this to stir up trouble, so please everyone keep the comments civil, but I wanted to give ya'll heading to the values soon (especially Sports) a heads up.

DisneyMom12
07-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I have noticed a lot of the new mugs selling on ebay. I would love to see the faces on those people when they try to use the mugs lol.

Personally it does not affect me, as I buy a new mug every time I go. I can't say I blame them. The nerve people have bringing non Disney mugs.

brivers222
07-11-2011, 03:13 PM
I kinda like it... that is until it doesnt dispense my beverage into my resort mug... then i will put on my angry eyes!

MNNHFLTX
07-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Well, it's not April 1st, so it can't be a joke, right? ;)

I almost hate to bring this up, but this sounds like it will affect all the people who have "lifetime" cups.

sportsguy2315
07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
I almost hate to bring this up, but this sounds like it will affect all the people who have "lifetime" cups.

I was literally thinking of the ethics behind a "lifetime" mug today. Guess that solves the problem. Still, technology is not always perfect so I'm nervous to see how this would work.

GBBT
07-11-2011, 03:36 PM
My DW brought this up.What about the disposable cups?? Will they be able to reuse them? She said they could clean them out and reuse them.:confused:

magicofdisney
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
It's interesting that they chose to begin this "test drive" with the value resorts.

nfrustaci
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
LOL often wondered about those lifetime cups. i always thought it was funny to see the blue holiday mugs being used in the summer. I also wondered why a cast member never made a peep about it. i always buy a new mug. it is usually my one and only souvineir that i purchase. i have no room in my home for all the other wonderful things i see there. so i usually just get the mug and use it unitl it looks cruddy.

Cara121078
07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I kinda like it... that is until it doesnt dispense my beverage into my resort mug... then i will put on my angry eyes!

:ditto:

GBBT
07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Ours were free last year and they are made cheap now.One was dropped and the corner broke.Years past you couldn't destroy them no matter how many times they were dropped,etc.

MOJoe
07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
My thought about this is - Why? Doesn't a cup of soda cost just a few cents? I guess that "resort mug revunue stream" must be worth a bundle.

GBBT
07-11-2011, 04:06 PM
My thought about this is - Why? Doesn't a cup of soda cost just a few cents? I guess that "resort mug revunue stream" must be worth a bundle.

Kroger is having a 4 day sale ending Wed. A 6 pack bottles(16.9 0Z each) for $1.98. 33 cents a bottle. Yep,mugs keep going up every year.

wdwaggie
07-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I for one support this idea. It seems that there are always going to be those people out there who are too cheap to follow the rules and it seems to always end up being some type of control put into place that affects everyone else for their lack of proper up-bringing.

Tink1
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I make a grocery run since I hate having to walk to the food court after going back to the room to get my mug. But the most important factor is... they do not have diet pepsi.

Not the least bit surprised by this though. Little by little they are closing all the loop holes.

Nanc

nfrustaci
07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
i have to admit that i did fill my mug once at the poly after breakfast at ohana. we were touring the outside of the resort and before heading to the parks we stopped at the bathroom on the 1st floor. they have a fast service area adjacent to the bathrooms and i just happend upon it and thought to my self i could use a glass of water and well thats when it happend...... i filled my mug with :secret:(whispering) soda and then my husbands mug too. i felt really bad but thought well once isn't going to send me to hell. i only did this last year and we have been going every year for the past 12 years and have always bought the mug but have never used it outside of our hotel. ALL CONFESSIONS ARE WELCOMED AND U WILL NOT BE JUDGED !!!! PROMISE:angel:

JPL
07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I am glad they are finally doing something if for no other reason to end the monthly debate about the Mugs once and for all :thumbsup:

joonyer
07-11-2011, 05:14 PM
So will this system, once implemented thoroughout WDW, put an end to the (almost) endless threads here about mug use? :nope:

More likely, it will just start a whole new debate. :angry:

Or will angry consumers cause WDW to change their minds?

Madame Leona
07-11-2011, 05:20 PM
It's interesting that they chose to begin this "test drive" with the value resorts.

I think it makes sense to test it at the values. Since there is only CS, they are probably used more often than the resorts that have TS.

The selfish part of me hopes that they won't install them at POP until after my stay in Aug. I'm an honest person and always buy the mugs but I don't want to have to deal with any glitches they may have in the system :blush:

joonyer
07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
My DW brought this up.What about the disposable cups?? Will they be able to reuse them? She said they could clean them out and reuse them.:confused:

RFID chip technology. when you buy the drink, the chip will be activated for a set period of time, probably an hour or two at most. After that, no more free refills in the disposable cups. Refillable mugs can be programmed for longer.

tazlikesrobots
07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
About time! Glad to see the freeloaders have their days numbered.

DizneyRox
07-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I just got off the Freedom of the Seas, and they had ValidFill dispensers onboard. I had to play a little as I immediately thought of WDW and the mugs debate.

Without checking I figured it was RFID. RCCL was able to "program" an end date into the mugs and it was indicated on the LCD display when I dispensed. Said mine would work until 7/12/2011.

The machines worked well, but it worked or didn't. The water dispense is a nice idea. Somewhat diabolical, but acceptable. I would guess they could also change the LCD to say things like STOP THEIF or THANK YOO or whatever.

One "problem" i had was when windy, soda would sometimes miss the cup. Lifting the cup to avoid thd mess resulted in the machine shutting down.

I figured if was a matter of time before these hit Disney, and I'm surprised to see Disney wait this long and adopt it.

As others mentioned, this really is something that makes you wonder how lucrative soft drinks are. RCCL went to extreme measures I thought for just a couple cents. Disney seems bent on found the same. It HAS to be a very big revenue stream for them. I would guess it's around 90-95% profit.

The mugs from RCCL were nice and will probably last a while as souvenir mugs. Disneys are cheap and pale in comparison. RFID can ve put in anything, so I wouldn't expect the quality of mugs from Disney to change. I'm guessing the disposable cups will also feature RFID devices (single use is my guess) so don't get ideas of bringing your own paper cups to cheat the system.

hokies4life
07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
I just sort of skimmed the responses but what about split stays? It says that the mug is good only at the location purchased. So if I have a split stay I need to buy two mugs? I thought recently they were saying you could use it throughout your current trip even if it was at two different resorts.

Just confused. :confused:

Suzi Q
07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Here's another scenario...I buy a new refillable mug every time and bring the last trips cup (go 2x a year) and fill up both so that I don't have to make another trip back up to the main hall to get another drink for a while...in my opinion i am not cheating, as I always purchase a new mug, I just drink a lot of liquids and try to save wear and tear on my feet where I can. Guess it'll be instant coffee and warm tap water in the morning and ice water at night for my extra hydration, I simply refuse to buy two mugs, just on principle alone.

magicofdisney
07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I just sort of skimmed the responses but what about split stays? It says that the mug is good only at the location purchased. So if I have a split stay I need to buy two mugs? I thought recently they were saying you could use it throughout your current trip even if it was at two different resorts.

Just confused. :confused:
I can confirm that POR has a sign at the beverage station with this info (using mug through entire trip). I even took a pic but have no way of posting it.

Perhaps the beverage stations will have universal receivers allowing any cup purchased on property to be used until it expires (check-out day or a day later). I guess we won't know until it's implemented resort wide.

EeyoresBestFriend
07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. We've always gotten a new mug each time. And I don't blame Disney for tightening it up ~ those "cents per person" over one hundred thousand people adds up.

Myself, personally, I'd just be happy to get a half decent hot chocolate at the FQ at the end of the night instead of the biege tinted hot water that it usually is . . . :( That's the cheep thing that bugs me. We've taken to bringing our own hot choco packages to supplement the pathetic brew at night. Sigh . . . . otherwise I have to choke my beignets down with water . . . . :sick:

MNNHFLTX
07-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I can confirm that POR has a sign at the beverage station with this info (using mug through entire trip). I even took a pic but have no way of posting it.
This is the wording I've always seen:

"Refills available at no additional charge at Resort Beverage Island located in the resort that this mug was purchased through the end of your resort stay."

It does state through the end of your stay, but at the resort that the mug was purchased at.
Sounds like this new system they're going to use might mean that folks can't use their mugs throughout the whole trip for split stays.

All in all, if the validation system eliminates all the confusion (and intentional theft, of course) at the beverage stations, I'm all for it. And yes, less debate about it on the boards would be a plus. :thumbsup:

Friend of Figment
07-11-2011, 07:48 PM
At least we can now engage in a NEW endless mug debate!

caryrae
07-11-2011, 08:17 PM
How does this affect people who have the lifetime refill mugs?

Strmchsr
07-11-2011, 08:20 PM
How does this affect people who have the lifetime refill mugs?

No idea, but my guess is those will no longer be in effect.

caryrae
07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Would be an idea if you could bring back these new mugs on future trips and they could program them to be used again at a discount rate instead of buying new mugs every trip.

I am sure with any technology this will break down every now and then causing problems but I suppose Disney could shut down the chip reader and have it work the old fashioned way unless there is no buttons or levers to push on these new dispensers.

caryrae
07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I am sure they will be hearing from people if that actually happens.

Kairi_7378
07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I am glad they are finally doing something if for no other reason to end the monthly debate about the Mugs once and for all :thumbsup:

Ditto.

A Big Kid
07-11-2011, 09:02 PM
What freaks me out is that the Mouse has that much more information on you. How much you drink, what kind of soda, what time. etc. That Big Bro Scarier.

Pirate Granny
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Will this work for the hot beverages? I use hot water for my tea. And get a new mug each time too.

caryrae
07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Will this work for the hot beverages? I use hot water for my tea. And get a new mug each time too.

I was just thinking this too, if it included coffee too or just the cold beverages?

Briansmom
07-11-2011, 09:33 PM
The water dispense is a nice idea. Somewhat diabolical, but acceptable. I would guess they could also change the LCD to say things like STOP THEIF or THANK YOO or whatever.

I personally would vote for the LCD to read "PSYCH" when water is dispensed instead of soda!! :rotfl:

DizneyRox
07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Everything mentioned is possible. With RFID they can make things work any way they want, from a simple property wide dispense, to a tiered plan where you could go resort only or property wide to even charging per dispense by product (coke .50 an ounce or water being .05 a fill). Or even go with a pre-paid option where you by your beverages by the gallon.

The sky is the limit once implemented.

And yes, big brother could track your habits. But I'm not sure there any more information here than they already have other than type of beverage. That I guess could allow them some power in negotiating any beverage contracts.

But the reality is this is a revenue (or lost revenue) decision above all else. The current mug system is allowing massive amounts of revenue to slip through their fingers. Getting that money flowing back towards the mouse is the biggest reason for implementing this. And I'm not really blaming them. I still won't be contributing to that stream, but can't blame them for trying.

MNNHFLTX
07-11-2011, 10:39 PM
:thumbsup:
What freaks me out is that the Mouse has that much more information on you. How much you drink, what kind of soda, what time. etc. That Big Bro Scarier.
So not a concern of mine. :mickey:

seanyred
07-11-2011, 10:52 PM
So overall I think this great idea, because too often I see folks with mugs from 3+ years ago refilling mugs.

The part of the policy that I disagree with involves split stays. I'm sorry if I purchased a mug it should work at all resorts for the entire length of your trip. Heck I'd even be willing to pay a couple bucks more to have use at multiple resort, and with this technology it would be possible.

Dsnygirl
07-11-2011, 11:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, with all the different scenarios mentioned so far...

...but I for one am glad to see Disney finally implement something. I'm sure they've lost a TON of money on people cheating the system, and it irks me to no end when people just deliberately ignore the rules, pretending they don't apply to them. I've seen so many people filling old mugs, non-Disney mugs or holding 4 or 5 and filling them all (not new ones...) & then acting like it's just fine, like they're owed free refills or just free drinks, period. If the sign said "Free Refills", it'd be fine, but the directions are SO clear, and the fact that so many people just don't care is sad.

So, I don't blame Disney at all for trying to fix this... hopefully, it will help, although I doubt we'll ever see the "savings" passed back our way... :rolleyes: But, at least the aggrevation of watching it happen all the time will be gone!! ;)

mudpuppysmom
07-12-2011, 12:20 AM
What about the people who aren't staying on property that buy the refillable mugs and get them refilled daily -- how are they going to be monitored.....I know people who have bought them each trip and done this.

Renfairwedding
07-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Whats this talk about a time delay in a refill. there are times when we return to the resort and I can down that small cup in less then five min.

??? what if I take a sip and try top if off right away?

??? What if I spill it and want to refill in less than five min.

??? What if I go to fill and the mix runs out and I get a half flavored and half soda only (Yuck) and dump it and move to a diffrent station.

I demand answers!!!!! :fit: :confused:

:D

BigRedDad
07-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Will they charge a fair price for these new mugs? The reason I ask is that the mugs they have can only hold about $0.03 worth of soda. You would have to fill up 500x to break even. They are profiting enough from it to begin with on top of everything else.

Now, it is still too easy to cheat the system. A person can use one mug, continuously fill it, and pour it into another cup. It does not stop the process.

I understand what they are trying to do. Instead of making new rules to break, WDW would be better off enforcing the rules that are in place. This is just a small issue in the grand scheme of things. Correcting park attendant behavior would provide a far better experience: remove lin jumpers, remove families that fill up illegal cups, arrest people for trespassing at MNSSHP and MVMCP.

big blue and hairy
07-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Also remember, everything that is tested, isn't implemented resort-wide.

:sulley:

caryrae
07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Whats this talk about a time delay in a refill. there are times when we return to the resort and I can down that small cup in less then five min.

??? what if I take a sip and try top if off right away?

I have done that many times, run in for a quick drink take a couple gulps and top if off right away then back to room. Now if the mugs held more then a quarter of a can of soda that would be better. :)

Now, it is still too easy to cheat the system. A person can use one mug, continuously fill it, and pour it into another cup. It does not stop the process.

You still could do that but if you have to wait 5 minutes between fill ups to me wouldn't be worth the time like you said the mugs don't really hold that much especially if you have ice.

FriendsofMickey
07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I think that this a good idea. It is sad that anyone has to go to these measures to stop theft. However, this sounds like a decent plan. I realize it will have minor issues, but it is what it is.
The cost to Disney for having people steal the soda is not $0.03. It is the profit that they would have made, not the cost. If they are making $1.00 on every soda (profit) and 1,000 people cheat the system, that is $1000 profit.

I noticed that the new DDP will have the mugs included, so for us (who usually buy the dining plan), this will be a bonus.

We stopped buying the mugs, because we :
1. hardly use them, so there is not much value.
2. bought the same exact ones two years in a row, not much of a souvenir that way.

I'll be interested in seeing how the new system works.

sorcerer fan
07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I heard , next year , no more mugs with the dining program

DizneyRox
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Really?

If I were to guess, my money would be that the values are where the mug system is abused more (based on number of people alone) and would also yield the most profit once implemented. Small resorts would take longer to hit their break even point.

You don't need an MBA to be able to make this type of decision. As soon as I saw the machines on my cruise I knew Disney must we working on getting something like them installed, little did I know they were the same machines.

If these are implemented by years end I would all but guarantee it. Too much revenue sitting in guests pockets. Food and beverage hasn't been performing well in recent years, this will provide a much needed boost.

DisneyWFan
07-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Actually the 2012 dining plan was already released and they have added the mug to all plans this year :thumbsup: the only thing they have taken away was 1 snack on the Quick Service Plan so far, but all the restaurants have not been finalized so we will see

Scar
07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Really?

If I were to guess, my money would be that the values are where the mug system is abused more (based on number of people alone) ...Not only that, but last year I spent a week at The Boardwalk. I didn't even see a dispensing machine. At the values you walk into the only place to eat and BAM, it's right there in front of you.

magicofdisney
07-12-2011, 10:51 AM
You don't need an MBA to be able to make this type of decision. As soon as I saw the machines on my cruise I knew Disney must we working on getting something like them installed, little did I know they were the same machines.

I NEVER said it was a difficult decision, I said it was interesting. I'll keep my comments to myself as to why I feel this way...

DizneyRox
07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Last time I stayed there I think it was at the Bakery. Maybe one other place, but I forget. It was a pain, so the decision to pass was easy.

Until the water used in the fountain machines isn't the local Florida water, I will continue to buy the bottled soda sand/or water. Yes, I know it's most likely sourced from local water supplies, but it is filtered and processed to remove the foul taste/after taste.

I NEVER said it was a difficult decision, I said it was interesting. I'll keep my comments to myself as to why I feel this way...
Most of us are good at reading between the lines. Some of us are just more likely to call a spade a spade. ;). For example, an MBA doesn't necessarily mean you can make tough decisions. I know severrral with MBAs that are dumber than rocks.

mdricks
07-12-2011, 11:08 AM
The only problem I have is the 5 minute delay. While I realize "sharing" might still be a problem, limiting how much I can have at any given time hardly equates to "all you can drink".

For my part, so long as its for personal use, you should be able to stick your head under the spigot and run it till your done (metaphoically speaking ofcourse).

The hidden cost savings for diz here is cutting back the lawful use by a mugholder. How many of us are going to wait around 5 minutes?

Who do you think uses more? The cheater or the mug holder on drink #2?

Perhaps its the pessimist in me....
:number1:

TheDuckRocks
07-12-2011, 11:12 AM

The 2012 brochures are already out and the Quick Service, regular Dining and Deluxe Disney Dining Plans all include a refillable mug. Further into the future, who knows what the dining plans may or may not cover.

See this topic:
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=182823

EeyoresBestFriend
07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Would be an idea if you could bring back these new mugs on future trips and they could program them to be used again at a discount rate instead of buying new mugs every trip.

I am sure with any technology this will break down every now and then causing problems but I suppose Disney could shut down the chip reader and have it work the old fashioned way unless there is no buttons or levers to push on these new dispensers.

GREAT IDEA!!!

It would be far more eco friendly! I already have enough mugs to start my own set from over the years!! :D

Fangorn
07-12-2011, 01:16 PM

They used to do this at Typhoon Lagoon - not sure if they still do. We have a couple of mugs we bought there in 1996 (great mugs BTW). The machines at TL read a bar code on the mug to allow it to dispense soda. You could buy a new barcode sticker for $6 (the price the last time we did it - 2006 maybe) for the day and they'd put it on the old mug. We've lugged one of those mugs from Oregon to Florida at least 6 times now since that's how many stickers are on it.

Steve

AmandaChan
07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
What I want to know is how much money are they going to be saving compared to the cost of this new system??

I understand it's frustrating for them that people try to cheat the system but com'on, now. Really?

btw I always get a new mug. While some might argue that it's a good deal I always get it for the souvenir factor. Even with the mug I do not get $14 worth of soda/coffee in a week while I'm there. I just don't.

Disney4
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
A 5 Gal box of syrup costs roughly $65 - that makes 320 12-oz drinks.

That is .203 dollars per serving. Adding a couple cents for water and carbonation and you have a soda costing around 22 cents per 12 ounce serving.

That means it will take around 70+ refills to get your value out of a resort mug. More if you add ice.

No, Disney is NOT losing money on soda. I am sure they have a much better procurement price on the syrup and CO2. This will just ding their sale of resort mugs.

I am seeing a lot of short-sighted profit margin initiatives coming up at WDW that, I believe, will ultimately backfire (Monorail service cutbacks, anyone?).

DizneyRox
07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
What I want to know is how much money are they going to be saving compared to the cost of this new system??
Again, it's not about savings, it's about generating revenue. They are not saving money, they are forcing people who aren't currently paying to fork over some cash. Disney should have much higher receipts sitting in their cash register drawers at the end of each day than they currently do.

This system probably costs more to operate daily, just due to licensing the technology, but if more people are havIng to buy the mugs then it will mean more money in the revenue column.

That means it will take around 70+ refills to get your value out of a resort mug. More if you add ice.
True, but the alternative is what? 6 20oz bottles which would cost you the sane as one resort mug. Given the choices the mugs are a better value, if you like fountain soda. But you are right, the profit on the fountain soda is probably higher, even if the rumors of free coke products is true. I see more people with fountain soda than bottles these days.

brivers222
07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I usually have to wait 10 mins before a server refills my cup at a TS meal... I guess 5mins waiting is better!!!

seanyred
07-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Last time I stayed there I think it was at the Bakery. Maybe one other place, but I forget. It was a pain, so the decision to pass was easy.

Until the water used in the fountain machines isn't the local Florida water, I will continue to buy the bottled soda sand/or water. Yes, I know it's most likely sourced from local water supplies, but it is filtered and processed to remove the foul taste/after taste. ;).

Have you tried water bottles that have the filter in them We will be usuing one of these on our next trip.

VWL Mom
07-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Am I the only one that is slightly confused with the timing of all this. For 2012 everyone on a dining plan will get a free mug so now they decide to restrict the machines? Encoded mugs surely must cost more than if they're not but you now get them free?? Next they'll raise the cost of the DDP due to the cost of the mugs. :confused: Or has DDP usage started to slow down and this is they way to bring interest back to a money maker. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

DizneyRox
07-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Have you tried water bottles that have the filter in them We will be usuing one of these on our next trip.
No, I have not. I also prefer my water cold, and since I frequent WDW in the summer. The water used to run room ambient temperature (80+), so for that reason, I don't give it a thought. I can taste a difference between Aquafina and Dasani, so I'm very unlikely to give them a chance.

Am I the only one that is slightly confused with the timing of all this. For 2012 everyone on a dining plan will get a free mug so now they decide to restrict the machines? Encoded mugs surely must cost more than if they're not but you now get them free?? Next they'll raise the cost of the DDP due to the cost of the mugs. :confused: Or has DDP usage started to slow down and this is they way to bring interest back to a money maker. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.
My guess is, just a lucky happenstance. Disney very well could have been waiting on a successful implementation elsewhere. I had never seen/heard of ValidFill until just recently. I'm sure they are sitting on the patent and maybe took this long to make it to market, and Disney would have just had to wait.

elmjimmlm
07-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I know that this is off the subject but I wonder if they will ever have any drink machines put in that dispense flavored coffee, cappuccino etc...I think that if convenience stores can have them then why not Disney resorts?

TheDuckRocks
07-13-2011, 08:45 AM

In the past Disney has been raising the price on the basic Dining Plan from $1 to $3 per night stay per person, this year the increase was $5.50!!!:eek2::eek: Honey, that mug sure the heck ain't free!

VWL Mom
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
In the past Disney has been raising the price on the basic Dining Plan from $1 to $3 per night stay per person, this year the increase was $5.50!!!:eek2::eek: Honey, that mug sure the heck ain't free!

:haha:

VWL Mom
07-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I know that this is off the subject but I wonder if they will ever have any drink machines put in that dispense flavored coffee, cappuccino etc...I think that if convenience stores can have them then why not Disney resorts?

They have one at CR but it is not included in the free refills. (at least that is what I was told in June)

brownie
07-13-2011, 05:26 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now we'll just have to post buyer beware warnings about buying mugs on eBay just like we do for park tickets.

Queenbee2
07-14-2011, 10:36 PM
I think if there is a five minute wait between refills most people will pass on the refillable cup. Is it $14.00 for the cup? Not a deal to begin with. Then I have to wait for my drinks? I think their little plan for generating revenue may backfire with far less people buying the mugs that normally would have.

Tink#64
07-15-2011, 01:07 AM
I realize the value we receive from the mugs! We always buy new mugs, I don't feel like we're (fam of 4) entitled to free drinks for the week just because we bought mugs last year or 5 years ago! I've done the math & we definitely save money buying the mugs over buying drinks several times a day for 4 over a 7 - 9 time frame! We typically eat at Pop food court once a day & refill several times a day, so we definitely get our monies worth from the mugs & I always use my mug at home until our next trip & new mug! I don't see anything wrong with WDW expecting guests to pay for their drinks! Nothing is free! When we were at Pop a couple of weeks ago, I saw mugs being used from YEARS back! I know, because I have most of the mugs that have been available from POP since they opened! I mean really! These people know they are cheating, why does buying a mug (not the old lifetime mugs - everyone can read the new policy) entitle you to free drinks forever more? :humph:

micky95
07-15-2011, 08:09 AM
i agree with a previous poster,if you limit how many times i can refill it then its not unlimited refills anymore.my dw and i buy a mug every year and us them on average 5 times a day each.considering a drink cost 2.50 at the parks we get our money s worth.but my gripe is you already have a policy in place ,enforce it ! but disney doesnt want to confront these abusers of the cup policy so the rest of us must suffer.finally has anyone actually used the new system ?if its just a test run then the time limit might be removed .i'll just wait and see for myself before i get mad at disney for something that might not be happening anyways.:mickey:

r4kids
07-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. We've always gotten a new mug each time. And I don't blame Disney for tightening it up ~ those "cents per person" over one hundred thousand people adds up.

Myself, personally, I'd just be happy to get a half decent hot chocolate at the FQ at the end of the night instead of the biege tinted hot water that it usually is . . . :( That's the cheep thing that bugs me. We've taken to bringing our own hot choco packages to supplement the pathetic brew at night. Sigh . . . . otherwise I have to choke my beignets down with water . . . . :sick:

DITTO!!!! I am a hot cocoa every morning drinker and always pack my own :)

Ian
07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I am glad they are finally doing something if for no other reason to end the monthly debate about the Mugs once and for all :thumbsup:Amen, Jeff!

It does tell you, though, just how much dough they make off soft drinks in WDW. If you consider that they must have spent a ton of dough installing these systems, think about the profit they're doing that against.

jonahbear2006
07-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Will you be able to refill your mug at other resorts or just your home resort? I always buy new mugs and I am against abusing the system but I fail to see why location matters. if you buy a Disney resort mug and you spend the day walking the grounds of pop century yet are staying at beach club, i cant understand why it would matter if you refilled your mugs at pop bc you legitimately gave disney the money for that refillable mug.

Dixie Springs
07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
This thread causes me to reminisce of the "Year of a Million Refills"...

Strmchsr
07-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Will you be able to refill your mug at other resorts or just your home resort?

No announcement has been made on that and since the system is currently only installed at one resort no one knows for sure what will happen. I agree with you that it really shouldn't matter, but if I had to guess, I would think they would probably have it home resort only since WDW tends to discourage a lot of resort hopping.

jonahbear2006
07-15-2011, 04:29 PM
they dont discourage resort hopping. if anything they encourage it by their online dining reservation system. they only discourage pool hopping. And they allow 3 hr parking in their resort lots so I dont see that they have ever discouraged it.

BrerGnat
07-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Amen, Jeff!

It does tell you, though, just how much dough they make off soft drinks in WDW. If you consider that they must have spent a ton of dough installing these systems, think about the profit they're doing that against.

Don't they make 100% profit on fountain drinks? Doesn't Coca Cola provide the product at no cost to Disney? I thought I had read that in a few places. It's essentially their "payment" for the product placement advertising in the parks.

Strmchsr
07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
they dont discourage resort hopping.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean they discourage people from going to other resorts, just using the facilities of the resorts, like the soda fountains, pools, etc. Obviously they want you to come, look around, eat there, spend your money, etc. What they don't want are guests from one resort clogging up the works for a guest at another resort.

UCJen
07-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Don't they make 100% profit on fountain drinks? Doesn't Coca Cola provide the product at no cost to Disney? I thought I had read that in a few places. It's essentially their "payment" for the product placement advertising in the parks.

I thought that as well. I think they are looking at it as potential revenue loss from not selling the mugs. I could be wrong--I'm not an MBA. ;)

DizneyRox
07-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I am actually for resort specific amenities. I used to own at BoardWalk and often found "my" parking lot filled to capacity and unable to park my car there, only to find the lot empty the next morning. If I were to stay at the poly, I see nothing wrong with not wanting the beach littered with people come fireworks time.

Some will argue this is leaning towards a classed system at WDW, something Walt was against. The problem is, they are already there. Value resorts don't have the same amenities at moderats and deluxes have things the moderates don't. "Free" dining is quick service for the "lesser" resorts and DDP for the higher ends.

They will continue down this road for sure...

As far as the mugs. If they wanted to open it up property wide, they could, and I think it would be a tier of mug program. For example, Tier 1 could be resort specific, Tier 2 any resort, Tier 3, property wide. And they could even make it so Tier 3 includes coffe and other drinks, while Tier 1 gets just water.

The sky is the limit, and I would expect Disney to try and maximize revenue any way they can, once they have the ability.

MNNHFLTX
07-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Will you be able to refill your mug at other resorts or just your home resort? Since the current policy is that you are supposed to use your mug at the resort you purchased it at, my guess would be no for being able to fill them at other resorts with the new system (unless they decide to do a resort-wide mug).

Hog
07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
are these the same mugs that you get with the QSDP?

nfrustaci
07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
yes they are

frozman
07-15-2011, 11:49 PM
I'll be honest with you, I think EVERY restaurant with a self serve soda fountain should use this. I work at a grocery store with a food area and I cannot begin to tell you how disgusted I am with the abuse of the free water cups.

DisneyFr33k
07-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Wow, lots of good points here.

My questions:

How much is Disney investing on this technology?
How much will they actually save in soda?
How many years will the cost for this technology pays for itself?

Another example to me on how Disney is literally nickle and diming their guests. :(

Strmchsr
07-16-2011, 07:50 AM
How much will they actually save in soda?

I haven't seen a cost analysis breakdown, so I can't answer questions 1 & 3, but as for question 2 - it's not about saving soda. Soda costs are irrelevant. It's about getting people to buy a new mug each trip. That's where they make the money. If they were worried about soda costs they wouldn't be doing "unlimited refills" when you buy a mug. If the loophole exists that people can use any mug, then there's no motivation to buy a new mug. My guess is with everyone pinching pennies and looking for a cheaper vacation their mug sales were down considerably and people were bringing their own mugs. So, it's not about losing money on sodas, but losing money on a big-money maker - mug sales.

Honestly, I don't really see this as Disney "nickle and diming" their guests. The policy has been the same for years. They've simply closed a loophole and a way of cheating the system which many guests have abused.

nfrustaci
07-16-2011, 08:48 AM
I haven't seen a cost analysis breakdown, so I can't answer questions 1 & 3, but as for question 2 - it's not about saving soda. Soda costs are irrelevant. It's about getting people to buy a new mug each trip. That's where they make the money. If they were worried about soda costs they wouldn't be doing "unlimited refills" when you buy a mug. If the loophole exists that people can use any mug, then there's no motivation to buy a new mug. My guess is with everyone pinching pennies and looking for a cheaper vacation their mug sales were down considerably and people were bringing their own mugs. So, it's not about losing money on sodas, but losing money on a big-money maker - mug sales.

Honestly, I don't really see this as Disney "nickle and diming" their guests. The policy has been the same for years. They've simply closed a loophole and a way of cheating the system which many guests have abused.

:thumbsup: well said.

DizneyRox
07-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I think whatever the implementation will be the determining factor in how much they are nickle and diming guests.

Currently, the mug is good for length of stay, so if my stay is 2 weeks, a mug is a better value than if I were only staying 4 days.

This technology has the ability of allowing Disney to charge per day. RCCL does this, it's $4.50 per day and you get a "free" mug. The ID of the mug is programmed in the system to only work for the length of your cruise.

If Disney goes to a per day charge then I think that says something different than if they go length of stay for a set price. I would really like to think this is just closing a loophole, but something tells me I'd be giving them too much credit.

DisneyFr33k
07-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Soda costs are irrelevant. It's about getting people to buy a new mug each trip. That's where they make the money. If they were worried about soda costs they wouldn't be doing "unlimited refills" when you buy a mug. If the loophole exists that people can use any mug, then there's no motivation to buy a new mug. So, it's not about losing money on sodas, but losing money on a big-money maker - mug sales.

I think whatever the implementation will be the determining factor in how much they are nickle and diming guests.

Currently, the mug is good for length of stay, so if my stay is 2 weeks, a mug is a better value than if I were only staying 4 days.

This technology has the ability of allowing Disney to charge per day. RCCL does this, it's $4.50 per day and you get a "free" mug. The ID of the mug is programmed in the system to only work for the length of your cruise.

If Disney goes to a per day charge then I think that says something different than if they go length of stay for a set price. I would really like to think this is just closing a loophole, but something tells me I'd be giving them too much credit.

Good points above. I saw in a previous post someone suggesting to sell the tags that allow refills on previously bought mugs. I love that idea and my kitchen cabinets are full of mugs from previous trips - yes, I followed the rules and purchased new mugs each trip.

However, this idea would counter Strmchsr's point of getting more mug sales - unless they price the tags equal to a new mug.....

Either way, I am uneasy about what is to come in the future, agreeing with DizneyRox's last comment.

Well see...... :unsure:

Hammer
07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Moderator Alert!

Everyone!

Please stick to the OP's topic and do not make personal judgments. Comments of that nature have been removed.

waymickey
07-16-2011, 04:36 PM
MY 2 Cents- First off I don't like it , no not one bit.:fit:

I feel if they need to make a profit then stop giving actual food away for free. They are not making a profit as it is a free DP. Food is something easily monitored. Buy the food you get to eat. Do buy the food you don't eat. Easy math. The Soda is a bit harder to monitor. And I believe that the majority of the guests do buy the mugs as they are everywhere you look.

Pop Centurion
07-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm just wondering if the system will stop my ability to mix Coke & Orange Fanta. :confused:

Am I correct in thinking that if there's a time limit between dispensing of the soda then once I stop filling partially with Coke then it won't let me add the Orange?

waymickey
07-16-2011, 05:16 PM
I wonder if the Guests at ASS knew about this change when they bought their mugs?

I also wonder how many people will just decide not to buy the mug at all and go to the local Piggly Wiggly and buy a case of soda for $12.00?

One last wonder if the mugs get a glitch will they just shut the machines down or shut down the chip? Our last trip to WL the machines never had soda it was empty every afternoon and just dispensing seltzer water and yucky seltzer at that. Mug was not worth the money.

Strmchsr
07-16-2011, 05:53 PM
I feel if they need to make a profit then stop giving actual food away for free. They are not making a profit as it is a free DP.

Trust me...they are NOT giving the food away for "free." The "free" DDP everyone makes a fuss about is an okay discount as far as discounts go, but if Disney were actually losing money with it there's no way they would keep offering it. You pay full rack rate for your room with the "free" DDP, which is what covers a lot of the cost of the actual DDP. On top of that, they offer now only "free" QSDDP at the values, which is where the discount used to be the best. Now you have to pay the difference if you want the regular DDP and you only get "free" DDP at the mods and deluxe level. "Free" DDP is break-even at the mods and not at a good deal at all at the deluxe level, but people do it anyway because it has the word "free" in the title.

DisneyRox - I agree 100%. The implementation will make a big difference as to how this comes off in the end.

MNNHFLTX
07-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm just wondering if the system will stop my ability to mix Coke & Orange Fanta. :confused:

Am I correct in thinking that if there's a time limit between dispensing of the soda then once I stop filling partially with Coke then it won't let me add the Orange?
No, based on a video that I have seen of the new system, that won't be a problem. The machine knows the volume that is going into the cup (or mug) and will let you fill it with whatever combo you want (at least that is my understanding).

LisaP
07-17-2011, 01:58 AM
This has to be THE most hilarious topic (and length of topic) I have ever read on Intercot :rotfl:

And now I want to stab myself in the eye for reading all 5 pages :sob: that's time I'll never get back :shake:

We had mugs from the DDP on our last trip in April, and I think we used them once. Oy vey! :D

DisneyFr33k
07-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Trust me...they are NOT giving the food away for "free." The "free" DDP everyone makes a fuss about is an okay discount as far as discounts go, but if Disney were actually losing money with it there's no way they would keep offering it. You pay full rack rate for your room with the "free" DDP, which is what covers a lot of the cost of the actual DDP. On top of that, they offer now only "free" QSDDP at the values, which is where the discount used to be the best. Now you have to pay the difference if you want the regular DDP and you only get "free" DDP at the mods and deluxe level. "Free" DDP is break-even at the mods and not at a good deal at all at the deluxe level, but people do it anyway because it has the word "free" in the title.

DisneyRox - I agree 100%. The implementation will make a big difference as to how this comes off in the end.

I was one of the suckers that thought we were getting a "deal" with free dining. Upon returning from my last trip, I posted about this and Strmchsr had me "see the light". For our next trip, we will be very careful with how we book our rooms, and compare with and without the dining plan. Thanks Strmchsr!

I have to roll my eyes about this new system. I still can't help wonder how much this system costs in comparision to how much they'll save..... as with any technology, you have to make resources available for glitches, which costs extra money too.

DizneyRox
07-17-2011, 07:52 AM
If you want to throw imaginary numbers around...

Imagine this causes only 10% of the people at the All Star Sports to buy a mug. With 1920 rooms an 4 person occupancy that's like 768 mug sales. I'm guessing the avg stay at one week there which is $11,500 per week if the mugs cost $15.

That's $46,000 a month

That's $552,000 a year

Still don't think Disney is losing money? Remember that's one resort... I wouldn't be surprised if the mugs have the potential of $50 million in revenue between legit sales and lost sales due to soda piracy.

Mendelson
07-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Years ago I managed a Starbucks and Sbux' refill policy was that if you bought a cup of brewed coffee you could get a refill for $.50 within the span of one hour, in the same store and so long as you stayed in the store for that hour.

People abused the heck out of this and even though I hadn't seen a customer yet that day they'd put down a cup and say "refill" and expect to pay 50 cents. We were a "just say yes" company and I rarely raised a fuss and when I questioned it the person would claim to have been in the store, previously (even if that alone wasn't enough to warrant a refill price, as I've explained). My store made a ton of money and aside from the fact that I hated being brazenly lied to I didn't care too much. Hakuna Matata. Whatever.

So some people would carry around cups for days and days--they'd look like they'd been to war and back--continuously asking for refills. Finally I started putting the date on the bottom of the cup and if someone tried to claim a refill I'd just check the bottom of the cup and show them that I had marked it the previous day and there was no way they could honestly tell me they bought that cup there that day. Usually they were befuddled and embarassed and very likely wouldn't come back (and I certainly didn't care if a $.50-a-day liar came back).

Call it a very low-tech RFID.

(We don't drink soda in my family and don't buy those mugs...so that's really all I have to contribute to this.)

AHOTE
07-18-2011, 01:55 AM

Where do you stop it? All this adds up to a lot of lost revenue and it's not limited to just drinks. What's a salad cost?

"I order a hamburger for the kids, then I take their plate and get unlimited salad for myself!"

This remark was posted by a Doctor, (who actually signed his name) on another group page, he was talking about a counter service restaurant in the MK. He feels entitled to "take" whatever he wants because he bought his children's food. He should be pleased with the message he's passing on to his children.

micky95
07-19-2011, 08:14 AM
its about SELLING THE MUGS,not the product.here is a break down i did .the cup holds 16 oz full ,no ice .with ice we'll say it holds 8 oz.in my area a 2 litre coke cost 1.25. it holds 67.6 oz.that equates to 8 servings per bottle (ive rounded it down)8 servings per bottle at 1.25 equals .15 cents per serving. a mug cost 15.00 ?. at .15 cents per serving you would have to refill your cup 100 times before disney would lose money and we all know that the fountain drink supplies are going to be a lot less than a 2 litre coke.disney is a for profit business.bottom line is if they cant make a profit they would never be able to grow.their just trying to get their lost revenue back by forcing the abusers to buy a cup.:mickey:

magicofdisney
07-19-2011, 11:12 AM
their just trying to get their lost revenue back by forcing the abusers to buy a cup.:mickey:
I think this pretty much sums it up. For those who don't buy the mugs, we're not really affected by any of these changes. The same can be said for those who do buy the mugs and use them appropriately.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Thank goodness I quit drinking soda. If I bring my own cup they will put ice and water in it for free and it is much healthier for me. Wouldn't it be nice if we all quit drinking so much soda and got healthier. :mickey:

WDW&MK
07-21-2011, 06:40 AM
I, for one, am ok with this new system. I hate to see people cheat the system when I am careful to follow the rules. I have lifetime mugs from our honeymoon in '94 and we still buy new ones every year. The worst offense I have seen is people filling up the huge themed plastic popcorn buckets with soda. :shake:

Dragongirlx
07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Thank goodness I quit drinking soda. If I bring my own cup they will put ice and water in it for free and it is much healthier for me. Wouldn't it be nice if we all quit drinking so much soda and got healthier. :mickey:

I couldn't agree more

bunnykoko
07-22-2011, 04:32 PM
We live 3 hours from WDW and visit WDW 3 to 4 times a year for 3 to 4 days at a time, usually 10 to 14 days total. We've been buying the QSDP since its inception, so we've gotten the cups with it. However, we're going OOP this next trip. Some people plan a trip for up to 28 days. They will be able to purchase 1 cup for their trip, while we would need to purchase 3 to 4 cups for less time. Can't see our purchasing that many cups. One thought would be to make the cups valid for 30 days per year. Otherwise, soda, homemade tea, and coffee will be going from home.

LVT
07-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I am at the end of this. I am easily entertained. Please, someone find the dead horse icon. Thanks.

mechanic
07-23-2011, 11:51 PM
rfid chips are not that hard to program. probably be a cottage industry pop up to sell bootleg lifetime mugs.

TexansInNY
07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
DisneyRox has the correct interpretation. Well said! I will be happy not to wait behind someone with their five year old mug. Disney is a business so the result is simple....those cheating will complain but do nothing to garner attention as they were only draining profits...if mug sales stay same or increase wel....if mug sales drop then they will alter or change. My guess ...you better start enjoying your limited time mugs. :mickey:

TexansInNY
07-24-2011, 11:50 AM
although I must also add I look forward to the first person complaining about paying for it as they pull the cigarettes from their pocket on their way out:thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
07-24-2011, 01:59 PM
I am at the end of this. I am easily entertained. Please, someone find the dead horse icon. Thanks.
Here it is-- :beat: ;)

LVT
07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you.

moe513
07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
interesting

brian2000boston
07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
i dont know, i guess i still dont care either way. Good news is i have more important things to worry about like paying for my trip in december!

DisneyMom12
07-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I can not believe this thread is still going. :fresh:

joonyer
07-29-2011, 10:44 AM
If we beat the horse long enough, he might wake up! :)

DizneyRox
07-29-2011, 10:44 AM
I think we're hoping for someone to post their experiences so we can debate the merit of the system more...

big blue and hairy
07-29-2011, 11:48 AM
What was the deal with buying a paper cup for a drink? I ask this because I just saw a video of the new system at ASSports, and it will only give you four refills for an hour and then you're done. That certainly is not unlimited during your meal. I can see that causing a lot of complaints, especially if one of the refills doesn't happen to come out properly...

DisneyOtaku
07-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I, for one, am ok with this new system. I hate to see people cheat the system when I am careful to follow the rules. I have lifetime mugs from our honeymoon in '94 and we still buy new ones every year. The worst offense I have seen is people filling up the huge themed plastic popcorn buckets with soda. :shake:

Wait, huh? How did they ever get away with that?! Cups might be harder to notice, but a popcorn bucket?!

Goes4FastPass
07-29-2011, 02:25 PM
As a WDW guest that does not cheat any offerings like refillable drink mugs I am 100% in favor of using technology to keep the convenience and stop the cheaters.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-29-2011, 10:50 PM
As a WDW guest that does not cheat any offerings like refillable drink mugs I am 100% in favor of using technology to keep the convenience and stop the cheaters.

The problem is that WDW greatly reduced the honest folks' convenience in in attempt to stop the cheaters when they started limiting the refills you could get to one cup every 5 minutes. In June I would regularly fill up my mug, gulp most of it down while still standing at the dispenser, then refill it again. The new system puts the screws to honest-old me just to TRY to stop the cheaters who will still find a way around this new "problem". There are actually three (not two) certainties in life: Death, Taxes, and Cheaters.

SandmanGStefani24
07-30-2011, 10:08 AM

So glad I am not the only "adult" who still mixes his fountain drinks!

As long as I can still do this I'm all for it.

ElenitaB
07-30-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm another mixer: diet Coke and root beer is my cocktail of choice. I had a quick moment of worry when I thought the new system wouldn't allow it. :blush:

texas211
07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't like this at all. With monitoring how fast you refill. Sometimes i drink a bit fast, this will be annoying. Another way to just poke at me while at Disney.

caryrae
07-31-2011, 05:42 PM
What was the deal with buying a paper cup for a drink? I ask this because I just saw a video of the new system at ASSports, and it will only give you four refills for an hour and then you're done. That certainly is not unlimited during your meal. I can see that causing a lot of complaints, especially if one of the refills doesn't happen to come out properly...

I just watched the video, How can the sign say "unlimited refills" when you are limited? I saw the screen on the pop machine that showed the person had 1 refill left.

VWL Mom
07-31-2011, 06:03 PM
I just watched the video, How can the sign say "unlimited refills" when you are limited? I saw the screen on the pop machine that showed the person had 1 refill left.

The unlimited sign is for the mugs. The screen with the 1 refill left was for a paper cup. Imagine my surprise, after all these years I never knew you could refill a paper cup at all.

AdventurerKim
07-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Does anyone know if this will be the case for coffee too or just soft drinks?

lizzi6692
07-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Just thought I'd share an interesting bit of information. Disney gets all of it's soda free because they have an agreement with Coca-Cola that only Coke products will be sold on Disney grounds. Which means everything Disney charges for soda is pretty much 100% profit. I am not totally against this new system, but I do agree that the 5 minute wait time between refills is ridiculous. I don't understand why so many people feel the need to cheat the system and ruin things for the rest of us.

Pop Centurion
07-31-2011, 09:57 PM

So glad I am not the only "adult" who still mixes his fountain drinks!

As long as I can still do this I'm all for it.

:cheers:

waymickey
08-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Has this started at any other Resort? POP?? CBR?
Are all the ASR using it?

I don't cheat the system. I buy the mug. But I am not 100% for the new system. IMHO it tarnishes the magic but I am not sure why. It just feels so six flags. :lurk:

Goes4FastPass
08-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Folks, it's a softdrink not an arcade game.

Yo Greg, how was your vacation?

I spent it standing in line at the soft drink machine while the refillable mug guy in front of me sampled, tasted, gulped, waited, added a little more ice, gulped some more, added some Diet Coke, looked at his watch, answered his cell phone, drank some more then finally turned around, noticed the line forming behind him, shrugged and walked away... only after stopping to top off his drink one last little bit.

PS: By the time we got to DHS all TSM FPs for the day had been distributed.

nfrustaci
08-01-2011, 09:52 AM
The unlimited sign is for the mugs. The screen with the 1 refill left was for a paper cup. Imagine my surprise, after all these years I never knew you could refill a paper cup at all.

me either..............:confused:

nfrustaci
08-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Folks, it's a softdrink not an arcade game.

Yo Greg, how was your vacation?

I spent it standing in line at the soft drink machine while the refillable mug guy in front of me sampled, tasted, gulped, waited, added a little more ice, gulped some more, added some Diet Coke, looked at his watch, answered his cell phone, drank some more then finally turned around, noticed the line forming behind him, shrugged and walked away... only after stopping to top off his drink one last little bit.

PS: By the time we got to DHS all TSM FPs for the day had been distributed.

sorry but i got a huge chuckle out of this story.....:funny::funny::funny::funny: have been there several times...lol

luvdiznee
08-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow, what technology!:thumbsup:Now if only they could implement for pool hopping, that would be good.

PopPhan
08-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Found this on another site....

More on the refillable mug test

We are hearing some more about possible reasons for the testing of a new RFID system for refillable mugs. It seems that some guests wouldn't even buy a mug or a single-use disposable paper cup, but would actually use popcorn boxes, condiment containers, or even their own cups from home instead of paying for a soda in the first place. The reports that we're hearing note that the paper cups are good for two hours, while the refillable mugs are good for 14 days. If for some reason a guest stays beyond 14 days, they would be able to get a new mug at no charge to allow them to use it for the rest of their vacation.

slegrant
08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
My wife and I were just chatting about this and wish they would come up with a mug system that would allow you refills at any of the resorts during your stay. My family and I love exploring the different resorts and I for one would be willing to pay for a mug that would be good at all resorts during your stay.....$25 or so per mug. Any thoughts?

MNNHFLTX
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Just thought I'd share an interesting bit of information. Disney gets all of it's soda free because they have an agreement with Coca-Cola that only Coke products will be sold on Disney grounds. Which means everything Disney charges for soda is pretty much 100% profit. I am not totally against this new system, but I do agree that the 5 minute wait time between refills is ridiculous. I don't understand why so many people feel the need to cheat the system and ruin things for the rest of us.Even if Coke provides the product (syrup) for free to Disney, I'm pretty sure they must lease the Freestyle machines, ensuring the Coca Cola Company some profit.

Disney Doll
08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I detest the people who tryto get something for nothing. However,am I the only person worried about an added level of confusion? I'm convinced people are getting dumber. I remember when they first came out with DDP and it was a nightmare to be stuck behind a DDP user in line. Guests had no clue what they were doing and if anyone came up with a question that even slightly deviated from the established procedure CM's were clueless. Half the people can't even enter the park without some sort of turnstile assistance. Do we really expect people to be able to read the mug policy and figure out how this system works? I foresee lots of confusion, lots of angry people who can't get the refill they want, and lots of hassle for me because I'll be behind them in line. Ugh.

tyandskyesmom
08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I love this! We buy the mugs every time...and get our use out of them...

My qustion though has to do with the 5 minute thing...if the machine dispenses my 12 ounces of pop at a constant flow causing the fizzing and bubbling over which then causes me to have a messy cup and not a full cup...then I need to wait 5 minutes to put more into my cup just to get one full cup before I can sit down to eat or leave and go about my business...that will not make me very happy...so am I understanding this correctly?

Hopefully, I don't have to worry about it becasue they don't get out of their test phase at ASSp until after our August trip (in 11 more days!!!) but I was just wondering...

iceicebritney
08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Has this started at any other Resort? POP?? CBR?

I'm also interested in this. I'd like to know if any other resorts have implemented this yet, such as CBR?

jonahbear2006
08-18-2011, 12:44 AM
I also despise people cheating the system. I feel like we give them a significant portion of our salary every year to go and enjoy the place and so to see people go and think well we are coming but we dont want to afford to be here is a huge slap in the face, to us! I am only wondering about this, still, will we be able to refill on all resort properties. If all resorts are disney affiliated, who are carrying the mugs, I dont understand why its any different to fill up at one as opposed to the other. We like to do a lot of photography at the different resorts, so it would be nice to still be able to get a drink at the other resorts. I know some people have said previously that they considered this to be cheating the system but with a brand new mug and still staying on property I am having a hard time understand how this is cheating anything. All their drinks are obviously owned by them and they sold us the drink.

big blue and hairy
08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I also despise people cheating the system. I feel like we give them a significant portion of our salary every year to go and enjoy the place and so to see people go and think well we are coming but we dont want to afford to be here is a huge slap in the face, to us! I am only wondering about this, still, will we be able to refill on all resort properties. If all resorts are disney affiliated, who are carrying the mugs, I dont understand why its any different to fill up at one as opposed to the other. We like to do a lot of photography at the different resorts, so it would be nice to still be able to get a drink at the other resorts. I know some people have said previously that they considered this to be cheating the system but with a brand new mug and still staying on property I am having a hard time understand how this is cheating anything. All their drinks are obviously owned by them and they sold us the drink.

Actually I have seen disagreement about the interpretation ofthe current signs, so...does anyone really know...including castmembers??

magicofdisney
08-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Here is the exact wording from the beverage station at POR.

Unlimited Refills available from the Beverage Station until the end of the stay in which the mug was purchased. The Beverage Station offers Soft Drinks, Iced Tea, Coffee, Hot Cocoa, and Hot Tea.

No offense to CMs but they've told me in the past I could re-use an old mug, so I wouldn't go to them for correct information. When I read the above sign, I'm seeing I can re-use a current mug at a Disney beverage station during my current stay. I do not interpret this as using the mug at that specific station only.

BTW, I have a picture of this sign and typed it as-is (don't personally understand their capitalization usage).

AdventurerKim
08-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I think that they should implement a system at the resorts like they have at BB. Buy a mug once and then on future trips buy a barcode at a cheaper price to get soft drinks. This worked out great for us whenever we were at BB in the summers. Does BB still do this? We stopped buying mugs years ago bc we ran out of room in the cabinet and don't get single drinks at the food courts. If we do get a drink, it's on the DDP with a QS meal or a snack.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't mind buying a new mug per trip, but what happens if I stay 4 or 5 days in one resort then 14 in another? Or have two different ressies? It happened because we are there longer than the 14 day dining pkg will allow so it has to be booked on two reservations. But I'm still there and I don't want to have to buy another mug . . . . . :(

LudwigVonDrake
08-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I have seen people use non-Disney mugs and it annoys me every time...even if it doesn't affect me at all :mickey:

Magic Smiles
08-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't mind buying a new mug per trip, but what happens if I stay 4 or 5 days in one resort then 14 in another? Or have two different ressies? It happened because we are there longer than the 14 day dining pkg will allow so it has to be booked on two reservations. But I'm still there and I don't want to have to buy another mug . . . . . :(
I was just wondering the same thing. We almost always have back to back reservations at the same resort as they don't allow us to book more than 14 days at a time, so we have to check out and then check in again. Real pain in the you know what :) I really hope that we won't have to buy 2 sets of mugs every trip now. We already have "for life" mugs and a cupboard full of "end of stay" mugs.

BigRedDad
08-25-2011, 04:53 AM
I am sure they have a way to reload your current mug on the new reservation. It is an RFID tag that can be reprogrammed. Otherwise, they can just give you a new one free on the second ressie.

DisneyMom12
08-29-2011, 07:01 PM
I stayed my first night at Sports where they have the validating system, and the rest at Movies where they don't. I had forgotten all about it till the machine told me I had 3 more refills left. I overflowed my cup while reading it lol. I could not help but laugh when I saw the disappointed faces when they realized the could not fill up their huge thermos' . That is really nerve.

Magic Smiles
08-29-2011, 09:19 PM
I stayed my first night at Sports where they have the validating system, and the rest at Movies where they don't. I had forgotten all about it till the machine told me I had 3 more refills left. I overflowed my cup while reading it lol. I could not help but laugh when I saw the disappointed faces when they realized the could not fill up their huge thermos' . That is really nerve.

So are also limiting how much you can drink per day? Or did it mean you had 3 days left still to use the mug?

caryrae
08-29-2011, 09:33 PM
So are also limiting how much you can drink per day? Or did it mean you had 3 days left still to use the mug?

Probably talking about a paper cup where you get 4 refills in an hour.

DisneyMom12
08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, it was the paper cup. I got my mug the next day when dining started.

princessgirls
08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Sooo...I just came back from a 9 day stay at the Pop AND they have not implemented the new beverage system but when they do...it's going to be good.

This morning, at the food court a family with 6 Gatorade jugs fills each one up and I saw a few people filling up their own thermos to take into the park. I think it's a necessary evil at this point. I bought 2 mugs for $26 + change this trip. Seriously...6 GATORADE JUGS!!!! ENOUGH!!!!
Julie:mickey:

VWL Mom
08-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Sooo...I just came back from a 9 day stay at the Pop AND they have not implemented the new beverage system but when they do...it's going to be good.

This morning, at the food court a family with 6 Gatorade jugs fills each one up and I saw a few people filling up their own thermos to take into the park. I think it's a necessary evil at this point. I bought 2 mugs for $26 + change this trip. Seriously...6 GATORADE JUGS!!!! ENOUGH!!!!
Julie:mickey:

Seriously??? I don't know why the CM's don't tell them NO! If they lose that part of their clientele, who cares! Saw some old mugs being used las week at WL, the combination of arrogance and ignorance really gauls me.

jonahbear2006
08-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Wow, I agree. They should lose this part of their clientele. You have paid to be in disney,.....pay the last $14 it cost you to get here. It's simply ridiculous. We were in goofys candy company where a guy was telling me how he would never stay on property, too expensive. He then recieved his 14 or something make your own snacks, which the guy put in a bag for him bc there was so many of them and then when he checked out his other things, put them between his legs so he didnt have to pay for the snacks. That being said, there are so many people who think Disney owes them something and most often they see it as a free drink. This is why the restaurants in the parks dont have refill stations. Too many people abusing the system. :-(

Magic Smiles
08-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Probably talking about a paper cup where you get 4 refills in an hour.

WOW I didn't even know that you could refill the paper cups. Never would have thought of doing that, but then again we have a cupboard full of Disney Refillable Mugs.:mickey:

We do have the "for lifetime mugs" also. Wonder how they will be handled now?

We LOVE Disney
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Will the new system affect the water dispenser? We bring Brita water bottles and like to fill with ice and water after our breakfast.

On a side note......one time I was at the drink filling station with my Brita bottle filling it with water. An older gentleman gave me the dirtiest look and even shook his head back and forth at me!!! I looked right at him and said "I am filling it with water!" then proceeded to continue filling it with water. Then took out my mug that I bought and filled it with pop.

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2011, 11:16 PM
We do have the "for lifetime mugs" also. Wonder how they will be handled now?We also have the "lifetime" mugs but haven't used them in years. At some point I think people have to accept they will be phased out, especially with the new automated system.

DryCreek
09-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Since they only seem to be implementing this at the WDW value resorts now, is it OK if we use our WDW Resort mugs from 2006 and 2009 when we visit DL this winter?
:beat:

lawgirl
09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
We have "lifetime" mugs, as I guess you would call them. But every time we go (and we almost always stay at the AKL), we always ask a CM first before presuming to use the mugs again.

Every time we have gone, we specifically ask about using our old mugs and we have always gotten the same answer...if we are using our AKL mugs at the AKL its fine, and we don't need to buy new ones.

I guess we've spent so much money at WDW over the past 30 years, I don't really feel like Im cheating by using the same resort mug. If any CM had ever told us differently, we of course would not use them.

MNNHFLTX
09-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Since they only seem to be implementing this at the WDW value resorts now, is it OK if we use our WDW Resort mugs from 2006 and 2009 when we visit DL this winter?
:beat:

:DI have one thing to say to you--

:stir:

DryCreek
09-22-2011, 08:53 PM
I have one thing to say to you--

:stir:
A pot stirrer? :D

But you gotta admit - wouldn't it leave some DL cast members scratching their heads if I called them "Disney Resort LIfetime Mugs TM" and made up some history to amaze them with?

Disney Hungarian
02-05-2012, 06:45 AM
I am at AS Sports right now and the RFID coke dispensers have been removed. They were here in December. It is odd to see so many different mug styles being used by guests again.

luvdiznee
02-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Be interesting to see how this will play out...:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
02-05-2012, 12:38 PM
was there a few days ago, and at Movies still normal mugs. I asked and the CM said they were only at Sports. So not sure if they are actually being used or what that meant...

Melanie
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
So, I'm confused. Are they not going to go through with implementing this resort-wide?

JerseyDad
02-05-2012, 07:44 PM
...high tech measure rarely work to control those that will abuse a system (drink machines). I'd just put a cast member there in a Mickey Mouse suit..and give him/her a baseball bat to whack the cheaters. Now who says that spankings never worked in the past? ;)

emfleck
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
...high tech measure rarely work to control those that will abuse a system (drink machines). I'd just put a cast member there in a Mickey Mouse suit..and give him/her a baseball bat to whack the cheaters. Now who says that spankings never worked in the past? ;)

:funny: