PDA

View Full Version : what do you do if plane is canceled?

special ed teacher
07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
When a plane is canceled due to bad weather, how can you rebook your flight or your trip when all flights are booked to the max. There are no available seats on other flights. DO you have to cancel your trip?

Strmchsr
07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!! If your flight is canceled it's the airlines' responsibility to rebook your flight ASAP. You let them handle it. Sometimes it can take a day or two, though, depending on conditions. If you are traveling during a bad weather time of the year, I would recommend getting the travel insurance in case you are delayed and have to rebook your vacation. You don't want to have to pay penalties on top of rescheduling.

BigRedDad
07-11-2011, 11:52 AM
If an airline cancels a flight, they book you on another one usually. There are usually cancellation fees for a trip within specific windows. I would work with the airline to come up with the best alternative. It is unlikely that all of their flights are 100% booked.

frozman
07-16-2011, 12:46 AM
I actually had an issue during my October trip to Disneyland. I had an American Airlines flight, and on the way back there was some horrible weather in Dallas (their hub, where I had to transfer), flights into there were delayed like crazy, and over half of the outbound flights (including mine to Washington/Reagan) were cancelled. I found out about my cancellation upon asking at the gate counter at John Wayne airport. As I knew ahead of time, my options were a little more open. They could have gotten me something out of LAX, but I didn't have the means of transportation to get there. They tried to get rebooked on something to either Baltimore/Washington or Washington/Dulles but nothing was leaving late enough from Dallas. I was then given the option to leave John Wayne the next day or to go to Dallas that night and get a flight to Washington/Reagan the next day. I chose to go to Dallas that night and fly home the next day. Because it was soon enough, they were able to get me a window or aisle seat rather than a middle. Right after I found out I was doing this, I sat down with my iPhone and booked a room at one of the on site Hyatt hotels at DFW airport. I paid, I think $99 but I got a $25 food comp with it (not bad if you ask me). But then once those 2 hotels got wind of the flights being cancelled they shot their rates up and ended up being booked that night. BTW, the hotels restaurants were quite the scene that night. They were so understaffed and unprepared for the influx of guests. I tried to order room service but they wouldn't answer their phone. I then went to one of the restaurants and waited 20 minutes at a table but couldn't get a waiter, I then went to another one which was only seating half the tables and ate there, they were going crazy.
The next day my flight was overbooked and had to issue certificates to a couple people. Lesson learned, if you have a cancelled flight WORK FAST.