PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Switch and Free Dining Dilemna

MM mommy
07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi! I’m hoping you can help me.

I am planning a trip for Fall 2012 to Disney World. It’s a big one. We’re planning on going during a typical free dining time (though I know there are no guarantees) late September (probably 9-22-12).

We always split our stay between Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge, with the bulk of our stay at Beach Club. Our plan this time is the stay in a 2 bedroom villa at each resort. Our party will consist of 4 adults, 4 kids ages 9, 6, 2, 2.

My problem is with the split stay, ticket, free dining issue, we want free dining if it is offered, but when you split the stay you have to have 2 separate reservations. You can only get free dining if you buy a package, which would mean you would have to split the ticket purchases too. The tickets are significantly cheaper when you buy a longer stay ticket. Is there any way to split a stay, get free dining and buy a longer stay ticket (say 10 days)? The split stay is between to same cost hotels, the company is not out anything.

Dealing with Disney Reservations is such a pain. I’m hoping you can help.

magicofdisney
07-10-2011, 01:31 PM
You can purchase a 10-day pass for the first reservation and then the minimum 2-day pass (requirement for free dining) for the second reservation. I'm not sure those number would make the "free dining" financially feasible.

Cinderelley
07-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Do you plan on making a second trip anytime? You could save the second set of tickets for another trip.

Pirate Granny
07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
OMG...rent the points for the two bedroom villas and you'll save enough $$$ to pay for dining....if you are paying RACK rates to get free dining...you are paying WAY too much. Those are not cheap rooms, even with two families sharing.

VWL Mom
07-10-2011, 08:59 PM
You are correct, you would need to by tickets for both stays in order to get free dining on both. On a 2br villa for a split stay, you may come out ahead if you get a room discount of 30-35% and pay for the dining for 4 adt 2 kids.

Another option would be free DDP for the first part of the trip extending the tickets for the full stay, getting % off for the 2nd part and buying DDP.

Or, as Pirate Granny suggests, look into renting points for the villa.

Looks like you have a lot of number crunching in your future. :mickey:

DizneyRox
07-11-2011, 05:12 AM
You don't mention trip length, however as suggested, I'm thinking you'll save considerably by renting the DVC points and paying OOP for meals. In fact I would all but guarantee it.

You may want to consider upgrading one persons ticket to an AP get the TiW card and really see the money savings rack up.

My last calculation of dining costs put the DDP at the back of the line in value. Behind TiW and even just paying OOP for food.

MM mommy
07-24-2011, 02:36 PM
:mickey:Thank you all for your suggestions. You're right, a lot of number crunching was in my future. I priced it out over 13 different ways. I do believe that renting points is the way to go. It saves significantly on the room cost. Now I just need to decide if the the dining plan is a good deal or not. We've had free dining in the past, but have never paid for the dining plan out of pocket. More number crunching in my future.

In my dreams
07-31-2011, 11:25 AM
:mickey: I wanted to do a split stay last year, too ( 2010). But I was counting on Free Dining and knew with a split stay it would only add to confusion/frustration for ME.
I made my reservation for one resort and luckily got Free Dining weeks after making the reservation.
As it was, our first night was a stand alone reservation and the 2nd night free dining started and we had to get new rooms keys with our new reservation. We were able to stay in the same room but this was not a quarantee.

The worst case scenario that could happen for you would be: free dining to start or end in the middle or your stay and possibly in the middle of one of your splits.
I wouldn't want that hassle:(