PDA

View Full Version : Noise Cancelling Headphones?

PirateLover
07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Anybody own a pair of these? Do you find them worth the investment? The main question I have is, are they good for people who want total silence, or are they more geared toward people who want to play music and drown out surrounding noise?

I am mainly interested in them because since I've gone back to grad school I've had A LOT of reading to do, and I find myself having great difficulty focusing when there's background noise. I hate having to tell my DH to turn down the TV, but I also don't want to be sentenced to the bedroom to read (we live in a 1 bedroom apartment). Same goes for car rides. When we are on a lengthy car ride, I like to read my book, but I'm easily distracted by the radio. Even ambient music or classical music bothers me 90% of the time and that's what I played in the background all the time during undergrad!

I am just really having difficulty "tuning out" of the real world and "Tuning in" to these academic books and was thinking a pair of these headphones, albeit rather pricey, might be worth the investment.

garymacd
07-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I have no personal experience with noise cancelling headphones, except seeing them fail in an episode of The Big Bang Theory, but what has worked for me are the cheap white or orange foam earplugs that I get for my workshop from Home Depot. I even gave them to my beloved wife to use in the years before I finally was diagnosed with, and treated for, sleep apnea. She couldn't hear a thing - especially my snoring which usually shook the windows. (I went to bed one day after a really hectic night shift. My wife was talking to her penpal on the phone in England. Her penpal could hear me over the phone clear as a bell from our upstairs bedroom with the door closed!)

For myself, I was barely able to hear the radio playing in the background and, as for the power equipment, it brought it down to a safe level for me.

PirateLover
07-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the response! My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Before he got his CPAP machine, I used those same style of ear plugs. In fact I think I still have some. I just didn't really like the feeling of them in my ears. Maybe it's time to give them another try before I spend hundreds of dollars on fancy headphones that may not even work for the purpose I need them for. Thanks!

VWL Mom
07-09-2011, 11:18 AM
DS is away for the weekend but he does have a pair of Bose. I know they definitely block out all outside noise when listening to music but not sure on their own, I'll give them a try tonight when he comes home and will report back.

VWL Mom
07-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm just thinking, there are speakerless headphones that you may be interested in. They are used a lot in special needs classroom settings. I know my son had them when he was younger because noises were a problem for him. I think you could probably pick them up for under $50. Try and google "speakerless headphones for autism" or something along that lines.

SandmanGStefani24
07-09-2011, 07:41 PM
i've got two suggestions that might help.

1. The aformentioned Bose headphones do work when not playing music. They require a AAA battery to work, but do wonders for noise. If you buy them from the online site, the cost can be made in interest free payments, which cusions the blow of the cost. Plus if you actually do use them for music they are superb. (I worked for Bose several years ago.)

2. I have a Concealed Handgun License, and when at the range I have a set of headphone style ear protection muffs. They are a little bigger than the Bose ones, but the only reason I recommend them is because they are excellent at blocking out noise. A co worker of mine uses them when doing his online continuing education. Plus, they are much cheaper than the noise cancelling ones. You can find them at places like Cabelas, Academy Sports, and Bass Pro Shops.

Hope this info helps you find a solution that works!

magicofdisney
07-09-2011, 08:34 PM
2. I have a Concealed Handgun License, and when at the range I have a set of headphone style ear protection muffs. They are a little bigger than the Bose ones, but the only reason I recommend them is because they are excellent at blocking out noise. A co worker of mine uses them when doing his online continuing education. Plus, they are much cheaper than the noise cancelling ones. You can find them at places like Cabelas, Academy Sports, and Bass Pro Shops.

I second this recommendation. My husband has noise cancelling headphones. When we're at the gun range, I'm impressed with how much better their headphones are compared to his "very expensive" set. I think you're probably looking for something that works at 30 decibels or greater.

caryrae
07-10-2011, 10:42 PM
i've got two suggestions that might help.

I have something close to that, I think, that I use for work for hearing protection when using loud power tools, I also like to use them while cutting the grass. They also have a built in radio and you can use a cord and use them as headphones too if you want to, I use mine with my iPhone. They are bigger then others like mentioned above.

texas211
07-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Have the Bose. Best, but most expensive. I have the Sharper Image, good. I use them on the plane, and i don't feel too bad when i land. BLocks out the engine noise. I have some Sony Buds, and they work pretty well, but, kinda uncomfortable.

More expensive, the better off you are.