PDA

View Full Version : Driving from CT to Orlando

BrianandJodilovedisney
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Everyone!

We have driven to disney 18 times and have gone several different ways. My usual way is 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95....

this August we are driving down with friends of ours :mickey: They think that we should drive straight down 95 :noway:... I tried to talk them out of it but they really think this is the quickest way.

we are leaving at midnight.. so i am not that concerned with traffic. my concern is
1. getting thru NY
2. night time construction
3. tolls (none on my route)
4. DC traffic and confusion.

What do you experts think out there? Am I crazy ??

Cara121078
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I would take 84 to 81 to 581 (around Harrisburg) to 15, which turns into 270 to 495(around DC) to 95.
I agree with you on NOT taking 95 the whole way, but I think my way might be slightly quicker than taking 81 all the way down into VA. Check it out, and happy planning :mickey:

Almost forgot to say Wecome!

gerald72
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I like your original way. That's the way I go from central pa (minus 84)

Dsnygirl
07-07-2011, 11:35 PM
First off, :welcome: to Intercot!!

We are driving down for the first time in August (from Upstate NY) and we are taking the same route as you always take.

We were told this would be the easiest way to go if we wanted to avoid DC traffic, and were told that even taking 495 around DC can get dicey at times, so we're avoiding it completely.

I have friends who drive almost every trip, and they too go this way -- I think I'd try to convince your friends to stick with your plan.

Good luck, and have a safe drive!! :drive:

[Edited to add -- just went through Mapquest w/ both routes - yours and the one around DC on 495 -- 40 miles difference, 15 minutes faster for the 495 route. If you're driving at night and won't hit traffic, I'd say either one would work! :) ]

Cara121078
07-08-2011, 07:47 AM
I live in MD and have tried the 81 route, as well as our usual way around the beltway (495). As long as it is not rush hours, and there are no unforseen delays, such as an accident or construction, the 495 route is much faster. Not sure how long it will take you to get from CT to DC, but as long as you are not hitting the 270/495 area between 6:30 am and 9:00 am or 4:00 pm-7:00 pm, I say that way will definitely be quicker. Also, if you are leaving on a weekend, there shouldn't be any issues. Whatever you decide, I agree that you should not do the all 95 route.

steamboat willy
07-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Since my drive starts way SOUTH of you, I can't help with getting out of NY or around DC. :sick:
Starting OUT north of Charlotte,NC... we use 85, 77, 26, 95 and finally I-4
For those DRIVING, I always throw one more option out there that we use when we get into Florida on I-4.
In Sandford, we catch the 417 Toll Road (Florida Greenway. This Interstate Type Road :car:by-passes ALL of the congested ORLANDO Traffic and drops you off at the front door exit to Downtown Disney or the Entrance Road to your Disney Resort. The total cost is around $6.00, but for me not having to deal with the TRAFFIC, multi lanes of traffic sometimes going no-where is worth the cost.
Regardless of HOW you get there, ENJOY the RIDE! :thumbsup:!

WishingStar2006
07-08-2011, 08:28 AM
I live in the DC area and I would avoid 495 at all costs...just because it's heavily under construction and although you can plan on avoiding rush hour (which is a MUST), accidents and back-ups happen ALL THE TIME not to mention if there is any kind of weather. And, once you rejoin 95 in Springfield, there is almost always a back-up until you hit Fredericksburg...don't know why....just seems like it's always that way.

While 81 may be longer it's a lot less stressful.

Just my :twocents:

Daisy'sMom
07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Everyone!

We have driven to disney 18 times and have gone several different ways. My usual way is 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95....

this August we are driving down with friends of ours :mickey: They think that we should drive straight down 95 :noway:... I tried to talk them out of it but they really think this is the quickest way.

we are leaving at midnight.. so i am not that concerned with traffic. my concern is
1. getting thru NY
2. night time construction
3. tolls (none on my route)
4. DC traffic and confusion.

What do you experts think out there? Am I crazy ??

When we lived in CT, we always went down this way. We avoided the nightmare of NY and Washington DC area. And it's so pretty.:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Since my drive starts way SOUTH of you, I can't help with getting out of NY or around DC. :sick:
For those DRIVING, I always throw one more option out there that we use when we get into Florida on I-4.
In Sandford, we catch the 417 Toll Road (Florida Greenway. This Interstate Type Road :car:by-passes ALL of the congested ORLANDO Traffic and drops you off at the front door exit to Downtown Disney or the Entrance Road to your Disney Resort. The total cost is around $6.00, but for me not having to deal with the TRAFFIC, multi lanes of traffic sometimes going no-where is worth the cost.
:ditto:

PercyPug
07-08-2011, 09:57 AM
FYI - We live in Atlanta and just drove down and back from WDW, and the police are ALL over the place in Georgia. On 85/75 there were police cars posted approximately every 3 miles

PETE FROM NYC
07-08-2011, 08:10 PM
We did the drive the last 2 Septembers.
95 all the way.
No problems.
The worst part of my trip was on the Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn. After that we sailed on through everyplace else, Including the DC area.
WDW is very easy for me.Go into Jersey, make a right on to 95, when you get to 4, make another right and follow the mouse signs.

Not2Loud
07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
@PercyPug - thanks for the heads up. We are driving back up to ATL tomorrow!

princessgirls
07-09-2011, 12:59 AM
We did the drive the last 2 Septembers.
95 all the way.
No problems.
The worst part of my trip was on the Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn. After that we sailed on through everyplace else, Including the DC area.
WDW is very easy for me.Go into Jersey, make a right on to 95, when you get to 4, make another right and follow the mouse signs.

The Belt Parkway can be a nightmare...only second to the dreaded CROSS BRONX!!!! :thedolls:
Quick funny story, I was at a work event over by JFK airport, and instead of taking the Belt Parkway West to get back to the GWB, I get on East...it was late, and I saw signs for Coney Island. So...instead of the GWB I got back to Jersey via the Verazano. Not what I had planned, and quite out of the way, but at least I knew where I was. I passed all three airports that night. LGA,JFK and EWR...the trifecta and a VERY long night!
Just thought I'd share.
Julie:mickey:

Dsnygirl
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the tip.... just added it into our driving directions for next month!! :thumbsup:

PS - Question -- are the tolls quarters, and just "toss in and go", or do you have to stop and pay at each one?? Thanks...

njmomof5
07-11-2011, 03:14 PM
We've driven a couple of times from NJ and always take 95. My concern about your way would be how much time it would add to my normally 18-19 hour drive.

The key is timing the trip to avoid DC at rush hour. I like to leave my house around 6:00 PM, so I get into DC at night. No rush hour anywhere. Then we drive through the night so the kids can sleep because it makes the trip so much shorter for them to sleep as much as possible.

Before your trip though, you should be able to check whatever route you choose online to check for construction. Do you have a GPS or one that you can borrow? They really come in handy when you hit an accident or unexpected traffic and want to find an alternate route around it.

Have a great trip!

Lori

steamboat willy
07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the tip.... just added it into our driving directions for next month!! :thumbsup:

PS - Question -- are the tolls quarters, and just "toss in and go", or do you have to stop and pay at each one?? Thanks...

I usually get a roll of quarters, They have both. "Toss in and go" and a booth with an attendant who will make change. Some of the exit ramps if you need to get off the 417 BEFORE you get to the end do not have attendants, so you need quarters for these. Enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:

BrianandJodilovedisney
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks Everyone! We have all agreed on FLYING! 1st time for me in 13 years! cant wait to be at disney in 3 hours! woohoo!!!!!:party::party::party::party:

faline
07-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks Everyone! We have all agreed on FLYING! 1st time for me in 13 years! cant wait to be at disney in 3 hours! woohoo!!!!!:party::party::party::party:

I used to drive it. I'd be hard-pressed to do it now (unless I were retired and could do it at a nice slow pace). I love arriving before 1/2 a day has gone by!

Jennifer_and_Chris
07-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Lucky duck!!! Have a great trip!

azcavalier
07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
We used to fly all the time, but now we drive. We just love having the car there, and not to be restricted to the small number of flights out of our closest airport.

In any case, if you DO drive again, why would anyone avoid I-81? It's so beautiful! And the view on 77 as you go from Virginia into North Carolina is amazing!

Anyone who's driving down I-81, wave and say "hi!" as you pass the exit to Blacksburg!