PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a Package Question

Narawen
07-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Right now we have a room-only reservation that we booked with a 35% off PIN code. We've never used the DDP before, but I was running the numbers and it looks like if we added the DDP, we'd save about $75 on food and get dessert at every meal, which we wouldn't do if we paid OOP. To add the DDP though, we'd have to change our room-only to a package, so I had a few questions.

Do we have to buy the tickets from Disney, or can we just add the DDP and buy tickets from AAA? We'd lose about $20 buying from Disney, but the DDP savings will cover it.

If we upgrade our room-only to a package, will we retain the 35% discount? If we have to pay rack rate for our room, there's no point in the DDP savings.

I know with a package all payments are due 45 days in advance. Would we have to pay another deposit upon the package upgrade, or would the remainder just be due 45 days out?

Thanks!

Strmchsr
07-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Room only and package reservations are two totally different things. If you do a package you would have to cancel your room only and re-book a package. Thus, you would lose the 35% pin code discount, but you would be available for whatever package discount might be released, which might or might not be better than what you already have. They have released the "free" dining package in December before, which is good if you stay at a value, but I think room only discount is better for moderate and deluxe resorts.

I'm not sure about having to buy the tickets through Disney. I let Magical Journeys handle all of that nonsense for me, and that might be a good idea for you, too, to figure out which would be your best deal.

faline
07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
If "free dining" is offered, it typically includes a requirement to buy tickets as part of your package. Personally, I think you'll make out better with your disocunt and paying for meals out of pocket.

DisneyMom12
07-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I believe I was able to have a room discount, and pay for the DDP a few trips back. I love the Dinning Plan and thinks it's worth the money. I would spend a lot more on eating paying out of pocket.

CleveRocks
07-11-2011, 10:44 PM
A package means a bundled purchase of room + tickets. If you buy your tickets from an outside vendor, that does NOT count towards the requirement of making at least a minimal ticket purchase as paert of the package.

In other words, you absolutely CAN'T book a room and buy the DDP and then buy your tickets separately through AAA. You'd have to book a package in order to buy the DDP ... so that means that at minimum you're booking a room + DDP + at least a 1-day ticket.

The only ways to buy the DDP without booking a package that includes a bundled ticket purchase: 1) be an Annual Passholder; 2) be a DVC member staying on points; or 3) be eligible for a certain type of military promo.