PDA

View Full Version : California Grill early or late?

cer
07-06-2011, 01:23 PM
If you only could choose between early dining (like 5:30 pm) at California Grill or late (like9:40pm), which would you choose? Or does it really even matter if you won't be there for fireworks anyway?

We started planning a trip only 3 months out and missed the 180 day mark to make those precious ADR's...

I appreciate your input.

Scar
07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I would base it on how late you'll be in the parks or when you're going to bed. It's never a good idea to go to bed less than a few hours after eating.

Friend of Figment
07-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I prefer not eating there during the fireworks. The view of course is great, but the time we were there during fireworks, the crowding and people pushing their kids to the front, really dampened the fine dining experience. I would probably opt for early to hopefully get a slightly less chaotic experience.

Kairi_7378
07-06-2011, 10:43 PM
We opt for early so we can "walk off the meal" for a little bit in the MK afterwards. I'd be hesitant to wait until after Wishes to start dinner in case a lot of people linger over the fireworks- you'd get seated later.

Disney Yankee
07-07-2011, 09:21 PM
What time is Wishes that night? If it's a 10:00 show, go for 9:40. If not, go early.

epceddie
07-08-2011, 12:17 AM
I believe that you can eat there early in the evening and return later to watch the fireworks by showing your receipt.

Fastpasssteve
07-09-2011, 02:03 AM
We always step out onto the large balcony supplied with speakers to carry the 'Wishes' music to watch the fireworks. We never stay inside. I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Kairi_7378
07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I believe that you can eat there early in the evening and return later to watch the fireworks by showing your receipt.

This is true. WDW dining gave us this information when we made our most recent reservation.

Donald Duck Rules
07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I like the later seatings

brivers222
07-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Holiday Wishes is scheduled for 9:30pm

If we make a ressie for 9:40pm, can we get there at like 9pm to check in and go up to see the fireworks??

Or would a 7:50 PM or a 9:10PM ressie be better?

we aren't looking to be seated to see the fireworks, it would be great to go out on the balcony!

disneykidsince1970
07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
You've got the perfect strategy. Yes - arrive at 9p, have a cocktail and stake your claim on the balcony for the 9:40 show. Even if your table is ready at 9:30, they will hold it for you during the fireworks (just let the CM know where you'll be). If you are child-free, I'd definitely take the later spot!

brivers222
07-20-2011, 01:20 PM
You've got the perfect strategy. Yes - arrive at 9p, have a cocktail and stake your claim on the balcony for the 9:40 show. Even if your table is ready at 9:30, they will hold it for you during the fireworks (just let the CM know where you'll be). If you are child-free, I'd definitely take the later spot!

Thanks, thats exactly what I will do!

VWL Mom
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Holiday Wishes is scheduled for 9:30pm

If we make a ressie for 9:40pm, can we get there at like 9pm to check in and go up to see the fireworks??

Or would a 7:50 PM or a 9:10PM ressie be better?

we aren't looking to be seated to see the fireworks, it would be great to go out on the balcony!

You could also take the 9:10P and have cocktails and appetizers at your table. They will hold your courses so you can go on the balcony for fireworks. They're very good with timing of meals.

AuntLaura
07-21-2011, 09:37 PM
We scheduled once around fireworks time. Just be prepared for possibly having to wait for your table. It's kind of like a log jam. People don't leave until after fireworks are done and everyone one else is showing up early. After having to wait about 30" for our table, we were all really tired and didn't enjoy our meal as much as we would have if we'd eaten earlier. One of my favorite places to eat, however.

Pirate Granny
07-22-2011, 06:29 PM
We had a 9:30 ADR....waited for our table until 10:30....by that time we weren't even hungry, and no we don't drink, so it was a long COLD wait...the service was poor, and the staff obviously just wanted to go home...but it took 30 minutes after we ordered to get our food...who cared if it was good or not since now, it was almost 11pm. We eaten there four times, twice on Christmas eve...food is average, fireworks great...once we were in the wine room, very nice and it was much quieter than the main room, and can see the EPCOT fireworks.

I vote EARLY..

RAIDER
07-28-2011, 03:16 AM
I prefer an evening meal there.The atmosphere for some reason seems to be better and moer laid back .Plus you get the chance to watch wishes :beer: